Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a cool place for business-related coffee/pastry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a cool place for business-related coffee/pastry?

I'm meeting someone on Oahu for a business meeting, and Starbucks is just bleh...what's a good place? I'm looking to be in town.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: What's a cool place for business-related coffee/pastry?

wailana coffee house. All sorts of characters and a fun "ol school" vibe.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
      wailana coffee house. All sorts of characters and a fun "ol school" vibe.
      Yep! One of the typical, old time coffee shops. However, it's in Waikiki and, depending on the time of morning, almost always has a line out the door.

Hmmm...you are looking for a morning place, right Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Yep! One of the typical, old time coffee shops. However, it's in Waikiki and, depending on the time of morning, almost always has a line out the door.

Hmmm...you are looking for a morning place, right Mike?
        late morning--10-11:30-ish

I love Wailana! How could I have forgot about it
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

If you ever want to meet someone for a casual cocktail or drink, on the 2nd floor of the Double Tree Alana Hotel there is a nice little lounge. Usually not too crowded and has very comfortable seats with tables to meet over. And they'll validate your valet parking for you!
          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

what about anna miller's at pearl ridge?
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

When I lived in town, I always liked to take guests and dates for a brunch at The Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Hotel. Is it still there?

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                If you ever want to meet someone for a casual cocktail or drink, on the 2nd floor of the Double Tree Alana Hotel there is a nice little lounge. Usually not too crowded and has very comfortable seats with tables to meet over. And they'll validate your valet parking for you!
                I've always liked that lounge, esp. when they had live jazz. My new favorite lounge/bar is, of all places, at the Wailana Coffee Shop. It's a tiki style bar, friendly staff, cheap drinks and food can be ordered from the coffee shop.

Kani-lehua...Anna Miller's is in Aiea, not town.
                Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                When I lived in town, I always liked to take guests and dates for a brunch at The Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Hotel. Is it still there?
                It's still there! Great spot. Dunno about just coffee and pastries, tho', but it's a possibility.

Comment

Hau Tree Lanai is still there. A great place to "wine/dine" guests and clients so to speak b/c of the great view of the beach.
                  Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

If Kalihi's not too out of your way, I'd recommend Fritz's European Bakery. Great sandwiches, pastry, decent coffee and generous seating.

Higher up on the coolness scale is Cyn's suggestion of Nico's at Pier 38. I can vouch for their fresh fish & eggs and the loco moco. Haven't tried their coffee, but the ocean view al fresco scene is hard to beat.
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Panya Bistro - Ala Moana Center

Comment

even more upscale than my suggestion via eric of nico's is the cafe at nordstrom at ala moana (ground floor, right by the men's "sapatos," mike!).

eric & i went there one weekday afternoon about two weeks ago and had the kalua pizza and ahi nicoise, as well as a slice of cake (i think it was lemon) and coffee. it's cafeteria style, so it's cozy and unpretentious, but it is still nordstrom, so the prices are higher ($30 total) but for what it is, it's a good value. the niciose was properly seasoned & dressed, the greens were fresh & there was nary an iceberg lettuce in sight, and the ahi was perfectly done. the kalua pizza was right-sized for eric's appetite and the lumps of meat vs. cheese vs. bread were at a good ratio. the cake was moist, and the coffee, held in big carafes & refilled by the wait staff in appropriate intervals, was fresh, unburnt, and tasty. wait staff were gracious yet unobtrusive - exactly as they should be.

what you'd like, since this is a business meeting, is that the tables are fairly large, so if you need to spread out laptop & other presentation materials, there's enough room. also, the acoustics in there are such that you can hear each other clearly without having to yell, but you can't hear clearly what other people are other tables are saying unless you really tune in.

the clientele was mostly local, some in shawts & slippahs; some, like eric & I, were in work clothes. there were japanese & mainland tourists there. the windows are big which gives an airy aspect to the mostly warm-wooded dining room but don't expect too much of a view since it's of kona street & the bus stops (at least from where we were sitting).

anyway, the more i think about it, the coffee plus pastry or dessert price for the nordstrom cafe probably would be about what you'd pay at starbucks, minus the burnt beans & bleh.

if you're worried about whether it would be crowded, we found it not to be, but we went at 4:30 p.m. i think the crush of folk wanting to check out the new store has pretty much died down bcs i've been there three or four times in the last three weeks and it's never been crazy in there.

nadine kam's review.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          I've always liked that lounge, esp. when they had live jazz. My new favorite lounge/bar is, of all places, at the Wailana Coffee Shop. It's a tiki style bar, friendly staff, cheap drinks and food can be ordered from the coffee shop.

Kani-lehua...Anna Miller's is in Aiea, not town.

It's still there! Great spot. Dunno about just coffee and pastries, tho', but it's a possibility.
                          when he meant in "town", i thought he was saying in/on o'ahu in general.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          reflect, repent and reboot.
                          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                            I'm meeting someone on Oahu for a business meeting, and Starbucks is just bleh...what's a good place? I'm looking to be in town.

My wife enjoys Panya Bistro on the mall level of Ala Moana Center. You can have coffee and pastries or order off their menu.

http://panyabakery.com/bistro.asp

Comment

Working...
                            X