X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Buffet Behavior

The way I look at, as long as you don't WASTE food by grabbing more than you can eat, that's all that matters.

I'm sure nothing drives buffet restaurant managers more crazy then seeing plates of uneaten food being thrown away. More so than someone there pigging out.

But that can sometimes be unavoidable when you grab something to try, and end up not liking it. I'll usually do my best to finish it, but if it's absolutely horrible, I won't force myself to.

Most "normal" folks who go to buffets, at least in my observation, eat only until their content and full, and not there stuffing themselves silly like they're at a Nathan's Hot Dog competition.

There are times though, like once when we were at Makino Chaya, a group of what looked like college football players there, and you should have seen the plates they were bringing back to the table. We're talking MOUNTAINS of food that could be measured in POUNDS, not ounces.

It would be funny to see a buffet restaurant charge people by their body weight (and actually use a scale to check!): 0-100 lbs. - $10/person; 101-150 lbs. - $15/person; 150-200 lbs. - $20, 201 lbs. and above - $30.

I have a small stomach capacity, so whatever room that's there, I skip the starches (except for Nigiri Sushi of course!), and save room for the good stuff like the Shrimp Tempura, Sashimi, Poke and Teppanyaki steak.

As for the utensils and germs issue, I just try not to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• alohabear
    replied

Here's what I do when it's a crowded Buffet, like on Mother's Day. I start with dessert. It is usually "untouched" and I can get what I want first. I know it's strange, but that way I don't fill up on it because I'm saving room for the "main meal" ,but not too full for the sweets.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

When I was younger....much younger, buffets were my favorite. It bordered on gluttony on my part. I always got my money's worth and more.

Today, I am much more selective. The idea of a buffet, the idea of excess, is not where I am coming from today. In general, I find that the food is not as good, the food tends to be cold, and the utensils dropped into the food turns my stomach. On the plus side, I do like to sample foods I may not order off a menu. So I only visit a buffet maybe twice a year and I am very particular about which one I visit.

My favorite buffet in the world right now is at the Cabo del Sol Golf Clubhouse in Los Cabos, Mexico. Unlimited lobster, shrimp, scallops, lemon grass chicken, several fish selections including dorado and cabrilla (mahi mahi and sea bass), prime rib, Mexican specialties, and for desert unlimited Haagen Dazs sundaes with three flavors and all the condiments. What makes it really special is California champagne, killer view on the Sea of Cortez, and the Smooth Brothers playing light acoustical jazz - Bosa Nova, standards, and oldies from the 50's and 60's. All this for $39.00. Eating in Mexico is a leisurely affair. We have sat in the restarant for 5 hours listening to the music, chatting with friends,........and grazing.

Ofa 'atu
    Mui Houma
    Last edited by matapule; May 7, 2008, 04:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

We don't have buffets over here....but if we did, I'd wear a muumuu and pig out and thoroughly enjoy myself.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

There is a method to the madness of buffets.

I like to go for the desserts first to fill me up fast with small portions loaded with calories.

Then I hit the prime rib and a potato as the appetite killer.

A salad of fruit and poke rounds out my meal.

If I still have room for more I then hit the main buffet line for whatever my appetite can handle (usually small portions of chicken or the mahi).

When I attack buffets that way, I tend to eat less and get to sample the desserts. Typically you do the normal routine and eat dessert last. By the time you get to that moment, the good stuff is usually gone and you end up eating those small squares of fudge with macadamia nuts sprinkled on top.

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

I have a love-hate relationship with buffets. I retain a fondness for them, left over from the days when I had a metabolism that wouldn't quit and could eat all the fatty junk I wanted. As long as I had enough hot sauce to mask the blandness that seems to characterize many buffets, I was happy. Like other people, I'd deliberately eat very little all day to maximize my buffet food intake. I would also always wear special long shirts to cover the zipper of my jeans so that I could unbutton and make more room as needed.

Now, especially after dating a food "snob," I've come to appreciate more fresh, carefully crafted meals and simple, subtle flavors. I also know too much about heart disease and cholesterol to truly enjoy buffet food anymore. All I can think about as the food slides down my gullet is how bad it is for me. And like many others, I'm aware that due to my attempts at portion control, my appetite no longer justifies the price I pay for buffet food. I'm more the deliberately-order-a-meal-so-that-I-have-leftovers-to-enjoy-the-next-day type. Then there's my pickiness and the fact that I don't eat four-legged animals. Sometimes that seriously limits my food choices at a buffet, depending on what kind of buffet it is.

I'm also quite freaked about about the unknown hygiene habits and potentially bad buffet food-handling etiquette, which can result who knows what kind of germs/body fluids in those massive food containers.

I pretty much only go to the Pyramids lunch buffet these days. Once a year I might splurge for a brunch buffet at one of the Waikiki hotels, just so I can enjoy the view and remind myself that I live in Hawaii, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Buffets are part of our local culture, and I am guilty of all things mentioned here whether it be over-stuffing, planned strategies and just plain ol' pigging out. I'm not bragging, just being brutally honest.

Growing up it was a treat for us to dine out, and many times it probably seemed more economical to eat at a buffet, especially since my immediate family ranged between 6 - 10 depending on who needed a place to live.

Today, I'll try a buffet especially if it's Japanese or seafood, but I don't know what came over me when I decided to eat at that new Chinese restaurant at Westridge Shopping Center. I am much more picky, and practical these days.

Salad, I'll skip.

Seafood a must, but not if I have to wrestle with crab fingers legs.

Ushio-Tei at the Ihilani for Japanese, Sheraton Waikiki or Princess Kaiulani for lobster, and the Father's Day buffet at the Halekulani Hotel has roasted pig are my recommendations.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I suddenly have a craving for pancakes.
    Yeah. Warm, soft, bountiful pancakes.

Wait. What were we talking about again?

I'm with you on buffets, scriv. I get funny looks for picking up rice, but dammit, I need my rice. I don't care if {x} is the cheapest sushi fish... it's the one I want to eat! My objective is to enjoy the breadth of choice and indulging in too much of a thing or two, not to "beat the house" by going after big ticket items.

And yeah, unless it's king crab, little crab legs are barely worth the effort to get through.

Still, I always thought it made sense the way buffets in Japan had time limits, and that's a practice I see is more and more common in the U.S. There are diners just like Homer Simpson out there...

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Koolau has a buffet?! If so, I must go!
    Where else has good buffet?
    Koolau doesn't have a regular buffet, but if you go there for catered functions, check the dessert table first to see if they've got the chocolate bread pudding. Most of the food there's great, actually.

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
    Truth be known, though it's not a buffet, I'd really like to go kaukau with you at Anna Miller's sometime...for the desserts. Really! I don't have anything else in mind!
    I suddenly have a craving for pancakes.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

Careful Scriv.....I'm remarkably UNpicky when it comes to food. If somebody is eating something, there is a great chance I'm also gonna like it.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I suspect most people who know me knows that I am heavy eater but I don't frequent buffets all that often, maybe about 4 times a year or so assuming no special occasion, in which case that number gets to be higher.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Never met a buffet I didn't like. Guarantee I'm going for the seafood, especially the poke and crab, if it's there. 5 plates, and 3 desserts everytime. Skipping the roast and prime rib.
    Man, I can totally picture this. Tim, I'd love to see you TRY to find five plates' worth of stuff to eat at Chan's. I'd pick up the check just to watch.

Leave a comment:

• kani-lehua
    replied

i try to steer away from buffets especially in vegas. what's up with people always getting sick over there? some people swear by them. i get kinda grossed out when i find the serving utensils/tongs in the food after people have just touched them. but then again, this behavior isn't unique to buffets.

today manolo interviewed the chef and owner of the poke stop who was wearing gloves (big deal!). apparently, it was hot in the kitchen and he wiped the sweat from his brows then continued to cook. often times handling the food. i don't think he realized that he had done this.

bad behavior = bad sanitation = sore stomach

all that aside, the last buffet i went to was at the chinese restaurant in the mccully shopping center (fook yuen?). not bad for $9.95. it included roast duck and pigs' feet (i didn't eat the feet). what i enjoyed the most was the almond float dessert. mom loved that, too.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

In the interest of my waistline and general health, I will not make a second trip to the buffet line. It's one time through and I take what I want. That's it.

Another technique I sometimes use is to use the large plate for veggies and salads and the salad plate for entrees. Depends on the buffet offerings.

I remember when Kengo's (Restaurant Row) got into a beef with the Noga brothers. Niko, Al, Pete, and others raided the King Crab legs, forsaking the rest of the entree offerings.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

Never met a buffet I didn't like. Guarantee I'm going for the seafood, especially the poke and crab, if it's there. 5 plates, and 3 desserts everytime. Skipping the roast and prime rib. Skipping the taters usually. Any pasta salad is yummy. And don't forget the champagne if it's a holiday brunch.

Roll me outta here. I'm full.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X