Green mango - eww!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green mango - eww!

Hi this is sansei and my mom shared with me some green mango which was eww! my Deceased Father's friend came by and dropped off a bag of green mango and it wasnt very tasty Eww!

Well thank's for your time

Re: Green mango - eww!

It's supposed to be pickled!

Picked up a container full for $3 in the back streets of Mo'ili'ili by the freeway the other day on my from the UH. Fresh from thier tree. Ono!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

what kind of mangoes did you use, ron?

this year was the first time i tried pickling our hayden mangoes. i tried a small piece and, "WOW!" it was some sour, the mango, not the pickling sauce. as previously mentioned, we were having a huge problem with the fruit flies so had to do something with the green ones. things are a little better and mom is enjoying the ripe ones now (i don't eat them).
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

My mother-in-law makes ono mango chutney. If anyone has a glut of mangoes, let me know and we'd be glad to take them, green or ripe, off your hands. Unfortunately, I suffer from mango rash. I can't even walk under a tree without getting afflicted! But I love eating mango! I just can't touch them, and if I suck the seed I'm in big trouble! But sometimes that seed is so hard to resist!

Sensei, shouldn't that mango get a bath of shoyu, chili pepper water and lime? that should help!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

kani-lehua, I just bought them already prepped and ready-to-eat from the family with the tree.

These were the little sized mangos, whatever they are.

Comment

PM me I will take them green.

you can make thai papaya salad and use the green mango instead!

Comment

ron: wow! me thinks you got a bargain!

speedtek and lavagal: i'd like to share but our neighbors are waiting for them. believe this or not: the tree is over 50 years old! mom has been sharing with the neighbors for decades when there's a good season. sorry! but, maybe you could share your recipes?
              "Sensei, shouldn't that mango get a bath of shoyu, chili pepper water and lime?" yeppers that's the way lots of people eat them. and, you do mean sansei not sensei, right?
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

I loved green mangoes (especially "common mangoes") during small-kid time. We ate them with shoyu and vinegar. I don't think it's advisable to eat them "as is". You have to prepare them in some way, whether in a sauce, or pickled, or whatever.

Comment

Wow, I'd forgotten about the shoyu kind!

Yes, K-L, first thing I asked was how much for the $3 and was very happy to see a fat container crammed full, made with li hing mui, and a couple of plum inside. Great deal. I meant to share, but...

Comment

honoruru: we used to call the concoction "bug juice". why? dunno?

rw: man, you really got a bargain and they even had li hing mui and plum inside?! happy eating ALL of it.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      ron: wow! me thinks you got a bargain!

speedtek and lavagal: i'd like to share but our neighbors are waiting for them. believe this or not: the tree is over 50 years old! mom has been sharing with the neighbors for decades when there's a good season. sorry! but, maybe you could share your recipes?
                      "Sensei, shouldn't that mango get a bath of shoyu, chili pepper water and lime?" yeppers that's the way lots of people eat them. and, you do mean sansei not sensei, right?
                      Yup, meant a not e ...
                      it is very hard to get mangoes because of the relatives or neighbors. I have an avocado tree that yields in the winter. It is a blessing. I love it! I give away what I can, but most of the time, I save them for my family.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

There's a Hawaiian cook up north of Seattle who has "sources" for a lot of not-common-to-the-Mainland products, including green mango - which he pickles with li hing; oh-so-ono!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          [...]a fat container crammed full, made with li hing mui, and a couple of plum inside.[...]
                          <drool!>

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think the green mango I remember from "small-kid" time was common mango. (There was a recent thread that mentioned common mango, but it was not common mango.) Now days, common mango is not so common. In fact, it's rare. Has anyone eaten any common mango recently?

Hayden and Pirie are probably the most common type of mango today, but they're NOT the common mango I remember from long ago.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to kani-lehua,yes it's sansei and not sensei and i appreciate all of your thought's,that's very kind and my mom may share some of them with my second sister only it's to green to eat,it's to sour,eww! i as a youth used to like sour and hot thing's,only since im an adult,my tastebud's cant take it and im not able to tolerate sour thing's,the only way is if we had it as a dessert as maybe in mango pie with splenda,then it'd be ok.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                              X