Crouching Lion Inn update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crouching Lion Inn update

Did anyone see Erika Engle's column yesterday? Great news! The owner of Tropic Aina (remember that thread here?) has bought the Lion and it's re-opening in a couple of weeks:

The historic Crouching Lion Inn will reopen to the public after a private grand opening June 21. Alan Huie has bought the land and business from the kamaaina Thurston family for an undisclosed amount.
    An entertainment law attorney for 18 years in San Francisco, "my dream was to come to Hawaii to retire ... and start a second career," Huie said.
    He started 11 months ago with TropicAina, formerly Ahi's, in Punaluu.
    Huie will keep the name Crouching Lion Inn as it is "so well-known, there's no point," in changing it.
    He is ebullient about restoring the restaurant's glory - but not its interior look.
    Dark paneling has been taken down and some was recycled for a counter around the bar.
    (...)
    Orchids, palms and other plants will give an indoor garden feeling and three windows will provide a 180-degree view of the ocean from the bar, for which he hopes to have a liquor license by opening.
    (...)
    The new Crouching Lion Inn will be open for lunch and dinner with a primarily American and continental menu. "I hope to bring back some old favorites," he said.
    "I'm ... very excited. This is like a dream come true. I want to bring back the former glory of this location and this restaurant business."
    Huie has read the online recollections of founder John M. Lind, its first operator and father of former Star-Bulletin reporter Ian Lind. Huie knows it became a destination restaurant for people across the island.
    "My goal is to make it a worldwide attraction but also make it part of this community, part of this island, for everyone."
    Hooray!
    More of the story is at the link above.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Crouching Lion Inn update

Very cool. I'm adding it to my summer to-do list.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That is good news. Must admit I have eaten there less than 20 times over the years, but always a pleasant enjoyable event.

And will try to make it out there in the not too distant future also.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Sure hope they kept the Slavonic Steak and Honey Shrimp on the menu.

I remember many a solo dinner there as well as some very memorable dinner dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          Sure hope they kept the Slavonic Steak and Honey Shrimp on the menu.

I remember many a solo dinner there as well as some very memorable dinner dates.
          If they don't.....

Slavonic Steak Recipe

Grill a steak til done as you like it, then slice it crosswise into quarter-inch ribbons and pile the ribbons up on a plate. Dust powdered garlic over the top and pour a small ladleful of clarified butter over, top with chpped parsley.

(thanks to Jimmy Chang, ancient chef at the Sandbox)
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good news, hopefully...

It seems this was one of those responsible for Ahi's down the road a few years back, and that was a disaster. Hope they learned thier lessons.
            And I hope they employ local musicians for evening musical interludes.

Those are my old stomping grounds and my Mom's ashes were spread off those waters in front of da lion, so it'd be great to have dinner with good ol' Mom again.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The historic Crouching Lion Inn will reopen to the public after a private grand opening June 21. Alan Huie has bought the land and business from the kamaaina Thurston family for an undisclosed amount.
              An entertainment law attorney for 18 years in San Francisco, "my dream was to come to Hawaii to retire ... and start a second career," Huie said.
              This would be a good story to recall, next time people complain about mainlanders moving to Hawai`i and taking over the local businesses. Sometimes, in the right hands, it can insure the survival of a beloved place.

Comment

I hope he has kamaaina rates. That $14 locomoco plate at his other place down the road mentioned here at HT is kinda local unfriendly. Hell it's anybody unfriendly.

I'll have to check out the new CLI though. My mom and dad loved going there for breakfast at times.

Comment

sorry, never been, but read the article. a $14 locomoco?! and, that slavonic steak sounds delightful, but sinful at the same time.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    sorry, never been, but read the article. a $14 locomoco?! and, that slavonic steak sounds delightful, but sinful at the same time.
                    Start with their honey shrimp. Jumbo prawns lightly floured and sauteed in butter and garlic and topped with a drizzle of honey. End with their ice cream filled malasadas. Gee, I wonder if they'll still have those mile high coconut cream pies?

Comment

I drove by on Sunday (went kayaking in Kahana Bay) and there were a whole lot of workers there. Lots of construction inside, and lots of landscaping work outside. A veritable beehive of activity.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                        Start with their honey shrimp. Jumbo prawns lightly floured and sauteed in butter and garlic and topped with a drizzle of honey. End with their ice cream filled malasadas. Gee, I wonder if they'll still have those mile high coconut cream pies?
                        no can. i hadn't had shrimp/shellfish for almost 3 years (high cholesterol), but did the other day at morton's (surf and turf entree). gotta lay off that as much as possible. if it were sauteed in olive oil and garlic, i'd consider it, maybe? ah, ah, no, no can do on the ice cream filled malasadas. i don't do dairy either. but it all sounds delicious.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
                        X