Shrinking Food Packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrinking Food Packaging

Notice the quantity labeled on this can of Hawaiian Sun Guava Nectar. It says 11.5 ounces. What happened to 12?

Due to fuel prices and environmental impact, manufacturers across the nation are compensating by strategically packaging their product a bit smaller.

The theory is that if they keep the price the same, while "strategically" reducing the container size, they'll keep the bottom line in check while remaining competitive.

Ice cream is supposed to be a half-gallon (64 ounces), right? Not anymore. Now some are only 1.5 quarts (50 ounces). Fuel just ate 14 oz. of YOUR ice cream.

What food and drink items in the supermarket have you noticed got smaller?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Shrinking Food Packaging

Shucks, can't find it. But I remember reading recently how Continental Airlines? did a study, and found that if they removed 2 peanuts out of each little bag served to passengers, they'd save $300,000 per year on cost. Some figure like that. I think they implemented it.

If you can find that story (and facts), please link it.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

That's a common tactic that has gone on for decades now, but has escalated dramatically recently and will continue to as prices go thru the roof.
      Walter O'Malley did it to us Dodger fans long ago, figuering that no one would notice the difference between 50 peanuts in a bag and 48, but would make a significant difference in his bottom line.
      And we didn't notice it. Those were some good peanuts!

You see it easily in candy bars, as the size they were when we wuz kidz is now about half as much, but the price is a quantum leap.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; July 6, 2008, 09:31 AM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Snack-size bags of chips are a joke now-a-days. A bag of Funions has like what? 3 Funions in it. Doritos have like 5 in it. What is that? A tease? lol

Bang-for-the-buck, you're better off buying the bulk-size bag from Costco and making your own snack-size baggies using cheap (generic) sandwich zip-seal bags.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

IIRC, Hawaiian Sun juice has been at 11.5 oz. for over a decade now.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

They used to put more spinach than pork or chicken in your Laulau. The cost of spinach went up, so they put more tea leaves in the Laulau. Now, just make it more expensive while containing more meat fat and causing a large oily grease spot on your paper bag.

Comment

But the upside is that servings are much more healthier amounts now, no more supersizing.

Comment

Spinach leaves in the laulau? Whatever happened to lu`au (taro) leaves?

Also, At least one brand of rice (can't remember which) is no longer a "20 lb. bag," but has shrunk to 17.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                  Also, At least one brand of rice (can't remember which) is no longer a "20 lb. bag," but has shrunk to 17.5.
                  It's not Hinode. I just looked at the bag of Hinode rice we have in our pantry, which was just purchased a few weeks ago, and it's a solid 20 lbs. net weight according to the label. Interesting. I thought for sure it was going to be less than 20.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I agree with Mike Lowery's comment about how long Hawaiian Sun has been sold in the can at 11.5 ounces. It's been at that quantity for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure if there is any definitive reason, but it seems that most non-carbonated beverages that I find in the can are sold at the 11.5 ounce measure. It makes me think that the lack of carbonation in Hawaiian Sun Beverages (or other non-carbonated nectars, such as Goya or Jumex brands) makes what would be a 12 ounce measure a 11.5 ounce measure strictly due to their lack of fizz. A possible reason for this measure that is strictly speculation on my part!

Comment

Is it me or has a McDonald's shake gotten much smaller?

Comment

Shrinking Package?
                        Isn't there a report about soy products will lower a man's sperm count?

Comment

Working...
                        X