The Cream Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cream Pot

Here's a review that I did for a fairly new breakfast/brunch restaurant in Waikiki. Check the link above for pictures of what we ate!

The Crème Pot is a relatively new eatery that opened up its kitchen this past February. It’s clean, cute and frilly with lots of flowers, lace and pastel colored pattern thingies. Although the eats are heterosexual, the décor is definitively geared toward those with less testosterone and more estrogen.

Enough about the décor. The food at this cutesy little European styled restaurant at the Waikiki Monarch Hotel totally delivered. I indulged in a nice serving of Belgian waffles. The waffles came topped with a lovely butter topping, maple syrup and powdered sugar and fresh bananas. The waffles were out of this world good! The syrup and butter topping did not overpower the taste of the waffles. It’s not unusual for me to only eat half the plate when ordering pancakes or waffles but to my surprise I was able to gobble up the hearty serving of waffles in its entirety.

I’m usually an eggs and bacon kind of guy, so luckily, Michelle and I ordered some maple bacon and baked eggs with potatoes on the side. The eggs were incredibly good even though the side of bacon was disappointingly small. Michelle ordered a breakfast set that included an omelet served with rice and greens as well as a crepe with fresh bananas.

If you’re into breakfast then The Crème pot is a must visit. We ended up paying about $45 for a breakfast for two. The prices are on the high end, but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. What you get is a great breakfast with quick, efficient and friendly service (not to mention lots of girly decor!).

The Cream Pot
    44 Niu St.
    Hawaiian Monarch Hotel Waikiki
    Honolulu, HI 96815
    (808) 429-0945

Re: The Cream Pot

Originally posted by Coty View Post
    If you’re into breakfast then The Crème pot is a must visit. We ended up paying about $45 for a breakfast for two. The prices are on the high end, but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. What you get is a great breakfast with quick, efficient and friendly service (not to mention lots of girly decor!).
    That's way too much cash for breakfast for two. Brunch, sure. Dinner, absolutely. But breakfast? No way. Unless you're treating!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Cute restaurant, that's for sure. I, too, found it expensive. While I enjoyed the food (salmon omelette) I didn't think it was worth the price. Personally, I'd rather spend that kind of money dining oceanfront. Here's another review by HT's absolutechaos.

I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from trying the Cream Pot. Just be prepared for an expensive breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Coty View Post
        If you’re into breakfast then The Crème pot is a must visit. We ended up paying about $45 for a breakfast for two. The prices are on the high end, but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.
        Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        That's way too much cash for breakfast for two. Brunch, sure. Dinner, absolutely. But breakfast? No way. Unless you're treating!
        Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Cute restaurant, that's for sure. I, too, found it expensive. While I enjoyed the food (salmon omelette) I didn't think it was worth the price. Personally, I'd rather spend that kind of money dining oceanfront.
        let's be clear, tho: they paid $45 for four plates: (1) belgian waffles, (2) maple bacon & baked eggs w/potatoes on the side, (3) omelet w/rice & greens and (4) crepe w/fresh bananas.

that's roughly $11 a plate. yes, it's spendy, considering places like bogart's on monsarrat, cafe kaila, wailana cafe, fritz's on dillingham & andy's in manoa all do breakfast in the $7 - 9+ range. but it isn't anywhere near as extravagant as "$45 for breakfast for two" sounds, unless each plate contained a small portion of food.

...so, coty--to ask the question outright: how are the portion sizes? how many eggs, and of what size, do you think the omelets were, for example? would your tummy not have been satisfied if you ordered only two plates?
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I liked the decor and the staff was very nice. I ordered the creamed chicken crepe as did my wife and one side of toast to share. We both had "just water" as our drink to save a few bucks.The bill was 30 dollars plus we left a 5$ tip. The creamed chicken crepe was delicious and nicely cooked. When I left I was still hungry. I could have eaten 3 of those and then some.

When solicited for comment on the meal by the cook?/owner? I told him what I just said, delicious but tiny. He came back a few minutes later and offered to prepare a lemon crepe, complimentary. I thanked him for his kind and generous offer but declined as I was ready to move on.

This place seems to have tremendous potential. Good food and nice ambiance. Maybe this tiny breakfast would satisfy the appetite of a Japanese tourist or a little old lady. Perhaps they need a little tweeking. Maybe the rich will discover the place and keep it afloat. I don't know, I went on a Wednesday morning. Maybe they boom on the weekends. Will be interesting to see if this unique place can survive. It will have to be without my support, I probably won't be back for a long time. But I do recommend you experience it once for yourself- if you can afford it.

It would be an excellent first date if you were trying to impress someone or a romantic anniversary breakfast.
          You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            let's be clear, tho: they paid $45 for four plates: (1) belgian waffles, (2) maple bacon & baked eggs w/potatoes on the side, (3) omelet w/rice & greens and (4) crepe w/fresh bananas.

that's roughly $11 a plate. yes, it's spendy, considering places like bogart's on monsarrat, cafe kaila, wailana cafe, fritz's on dillingham & andy's in manoa all do breakfast in the $7 - 9+ range. but it isn't anywhere near as extravagant as "$45 for breakfast for two" sounds, unless each plate contained a small portion of food.

...so, coty--to ask the question outright: how are the portion sizes? how many eggs, and of what size, do you think the omelets were, for example? would your tummy not have been satisfied if you ordered only two plates?
            Other than the bacon, I thought the portions were great. Not Sam Choy's huge but enough to send me away happy. The omelette I would say was about 3-4 eggs worth. And honestly, I was satisfied with just the Belgian Waffles. I didn't even touch the omelette, I left that to my girlfriend. We shared the baked eggs (two eggs and a nice serving of potatoes). I was too full to even touch the crepes.

Again, the only disappointment for me, in terms of portions, was the bacon. Everything else was reasonable and the Belgian Waffles were more than enough.

Like I said in my post, $45 is on the high end for breakfast....but, if you're a breakfast person and love to try out different breakfast spots than I would definitely give it a try....

BTW, for those interested, I have posted pics up on my site of our visit to The Cream Pot.

Comment

Working...
            X