Zippy's Chili has Mayo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zippy's Chili has Mayo?

I read Charlie Memminger's column on Obama staying away from Zippy's chili because it has ... mayo in it?

Sorry to sound like such a transplant, but is this true? Is there really mayo in it?

Normally I hate mayo. OK I hate mayo all the time, but I never noticed it in the chili, which I have been pounding for the past year now.

If it does have mayo in it however, I will cut down on the chili intake.
    ---
    Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Re: Zippy's chili question

Originally posted by genepark View Post
    I read Charlie Memminger's column on Obama staying away from Zippy's chili because it has ... mayo in it?

Sorry to sound like such a transplant, but is this true? Is there really mayo in it?

Normally I hate mayo. OK I hate mayo all the time, but I never noticed it in the chili, which I have been pounding for the past year now.

If it does have mayo in it however, I will cut down on the chili intake.
    yes, it has mayo in it--or at least the original recipe does. can't say about the vegetarian version, for example. if the beanless version is the same as original except for the beans, which it seems to be, then the beanless one has mayo, too. the mayo in the chili has become a bit of a secret ingredient now that zippy's cooks it food in a central location and packs it for delivery and final prep to each branch, versus cooking at each branch like it used to. eric remembers that in his childhood, people used to ask for extra mayo.

i doubt it has huge amounts of mayo tho. i'm pretty sure if you compare a serving of zippy's chili against most other commercially available chili, it won't have noticeably more fat. just cause it has mayo in it doesn't mean it's worse for you than any other chili. if that kind of logic worked all the time, then chicken lau lau would be lower in fat than pork lau lau...but it isn't.

here's one recipe that purports to be zippy's-like, or more correctly, "local-style"...and it uses only two tablespoons of mayo for the pound and a half of ground beef in the recipe. that's what--an extra 200 calories/10 grams of fat more for the entire pot? i wouldn't advocate eating it every day, but maybe, to ease your guilt, eat it with brown rice instead of white, skip the cheese, and maybe add some shakes of tabasco to speed up your metabolism.

if the problem is that you really hate mayo, and now that you know it's in there, you just can't get over it...well...that's your deal. more chili for the rest of us, woo hoo!
    Last edited by cynsaligia; August 13, 2008, 03:54 AM. Reason: tense problem.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Mayo?! Really?! WOW! I liked the chili, never once, in a million years thought there was mayo in it!

Man, now I wanna surf pack and some chili
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

.. just reading this thread makes me want to cook the chilli. I hungry now, hehehe! man, I miss the grindz, li'dat!

Comment

We get Zippy's chili (& potagee bean soup) frozen, here on the Mainland.

Tasty --- but just not the same, you know? Even if we dump it over a radioactively-pink Redondo hot dog.

TATTRAT: is this a new culinary secret to add to your personal repertoire?

Comment

Re: Zippy's Chili has Mayo?

MAYO is essentially egg and oil whipped together .............

Comment

Ahh. Thanks for the insights, Cyn.

Originally posted by Likeke View Post
              .. just reading this thread makes me want to cook the chilli. I hungry now, hehehe!
              GIT IN MAH BELLEH!
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                MAYO is essentially egg and oil whipped together .............

exactly, making it all that much more unusual to add to chili.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Now I've got to google recipes for chili with mayo! I love it on the side.

Gene, I'll bet you wouldn't have been pounding it if it had Miracle (ick) Whip in it. Just the name is bad enuf.

I know I'll die early, just from eating crackers with mayo so much as a kid.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'll probably stand alone on this and wait for the blows to follow but I hate
                    Zippy's chili. We ate it for a while many years ago and I didn't like it then.

When fund- raisers come along I just give them the money and tell them to
                    keep the chili or give it away.

Comment

yep, cyn is right about the mayo in zippy's chili.

heh, RW: crackers and mayo?! never had that. but as kids we'd eat, don't ask me why, mayo sandwiches. just that--two slices of white bread slapped with best foods mayo in the middle.

prior to finding out that i have high cholesterol (don't gross out, i know others that still do this), we would slap mayo on beef stew, spaghetti and even pizza or anything with a tomato base. why? dunno. just takes good. no can anymore. well, my heart and doctor thank me. sometimes i really miss da real thing, though. veganaise just doesn't cut it nor do the other pretenders.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                        exactly, making it all that much more unusual to add to chili.
                        I prefer sour cream. Ever had borscht? Just another vehicle for sour cream.

Comment

Yeah, KL, it disgusts me now, but I've since been vindicated by others saying they do/did it too! I don't know why, but mayo does go good with many things.

Sour cream?, just add some cinnamon and suger and it's 'an afternoon delight'.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            eating crackers with mayo so much as a kid.
                            Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            Sour cream?, just add some cinnamon and suger and it's 'an afternoon delight'.
                            Let us know when The Ron Whitfield Cookbook comes out; reserve me a copy, okay? And be sure to thank your cardiologist in the credits.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                              I'll probably stand alone on this and wait for the blows to follow but I hate Zippy's chili. We ate it for a while many years ago and I didn't like it then.
                              I'm with you. At first I was super excited that I could get fast food vegetarian chili here. Then I ate some. I've tried it 3 times, thinking I'd eventually grow to like it. Nope! Not gonna happen. Especially now that I know it has mayonnaise in it. Yick. I'll stick with my homemade chili, even if it takes me all day to make it.
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                              X