Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim75
    replied
    Re: Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Ever take a walk through Chinatown in Honolulu lately? I did just last week. While not nearly as shocking as what you'd find in other countries (or perhaps even other states), if you really look, there's enough of a visual slaughter-fest in the meat and fish markets there to open your mind and nostrils up. Surely at least a world beyond the tamed-down westernized environments of a typical Foodland, Safeway or Costco.
    I was in Chinatown on Monday. I went into a place called Maunakea Marketplace and wandered around and found this little food court that had vendors from several countries. It looked good and smelled good so I thought I'd eat something. I needed to use the 'head' first, so I walked up to one of the stands and asked this elderly man behind the counter where the bathroom was. As he was telling me, I noticed movement behind him. Looking over his shoulder to the floor of the kitchen area in back, I saw this huge rat. Now mind you, this was the first time I'd ever seen a rat. He was no "Ratatoullie" like in the cartoon movie. It was as big as a small dog and it's fur was wet and stuck together in clumps. It's back was hunched up in a curve, but it looked over at me and the old man and seemed to be a little shocked himself. Then he proceeded further past the door frame out of my sight. HeHe. It blew my mind a little at the moment. Not a lot, but it was enough to keep me from eating there now or in the future. But what a great memory. Damn, if I could've somehow gotten that whole moment in a photograph!

My Dad used to tell a story about his friends Dad who used to tell him the story. My Dad's friend was half-Chinese and his father was full Chinese. The old Chinaman had come to South Dakota, as many did, to work after gold was discovered in 1874. Up in Deadwood there is even an opium den under the streets you can take a tour through. Anyway, much like in Peshkwe's experience, he was invited to a Lakota Sioux feast. Apparently the elder in charge wanted to honor him by giving him first opportunity at the food and motioned to a large kettle of stew and said "Dig deep, puppy in the bottom". Whereupon Fliday's Dad said "I pluke".

I've had rattlesnake, but it's been so long ago I can't remember if it tasted like chicken.

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    having just come from a trip in the philippines and walked around several "wet markets" where fresh meats, fish, etc are sold in the open air without the benefit of heat lamps, refrigeration, or sneeze guards, and where customers can reach out and touch a tenderloin with bare hands to decide whether to buy it, it is abundantly clear to me that we americans do not, generally, have a realistic or honest relationship with food.
    Well said, Cyn. When she has access to a full sized keyboard, watch out!

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

If we are talking honestly here,,,,,,,,,,, then I don't know if I've eaten a dog.

During my time in the BRN. (navy) I was in Burma. On one occasion I was served up something which I took to be lamb stew. The head of the village pointed to a dog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It could have been one of them which I'd eaten.
    I hope not but I would be telling a lie to you good people if I said that at the time it was not delicious.
    Just gorra be careful in the future.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Hmm...according to the old stories, people taste like beaver.

Even got a spetchul type psychological disorder for it called 'Windigo psychosis'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied
    Re: A dog's ass? Hmmm...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    So, how long would it take (day's/weeks) before your fellow man started looking like a ball park frank?
    With or without clothes?

Leave a comment:

• Likeke
    replied

.. although that I'm asian.. NOPE, didn't even try to eat dog

Leave a comment:

• TATTRAT
    replied

So, how long would it take (day's/weeks) before your fellow man started looking like a ball park frank?
    hmmmmmm...about 2 hours

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    I heard dog tastes like pork.
    don't remember. i was eight when i ate dog during a visit to the philippines. might be true, bcs i ate it without knowing it was dog, and i presumed it was pork. *shrug*

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post

Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've heard that people prepare dog by beating and torturing them days before. Supposedly, it brings out the best flavor. Before slaughter, they force feed vinegar and rice so that the intestines will be cleaned out and filled.

I heard this from a couple of people. One of them lived next door to Filipinos, and he said the sound of suffering dogs was so awful, that they eventually moved. They reported them to the humane society, but nothing was done. Can anyone confirm/deny this practice? The thought of it gives me nightmares.
    i'll answer the question this way. some "people" beat other people, torture them, murder them, then eat em with fava beans. so, in that sense, no one can deny/confirm that "people" do what was claimed to be done to dogs to prepare them as food.

have you ever had foie gras? if the idea of force-feeding an animal to "clean it out" gives you nightmares, you had better never let your tongue and belly know the luscious joy of a fattened duck liver, otherwise you put yourself in the category of "hypocrite."

god, i really hate this stereotype. i'll say it here again: it irks me that filipinos are painted in hawaii as if we, rabid and savage brown folk that we are, are the sole dog eaters of the world. only in the last twenty years or so was consuming dog meat banned in germany. it is well documented that south korea banned dog meat restaurants to "sanitize" seoul in preparation for the olympics. eating dog is a practice known to every continent in the world, without exception. even switzerland has dog meat sausages and jerky to this day.

i will never deny that there are some of my people who like a bit of grilled fido on a sunday afternoon. some who do this are stupid enough to steal a dog from a country club and slaughter it. what sickens, saddens and incenses me is that there are those who purposely use this bit of truth to denigrate all my people and all my culture, reduce us to being that spooky, wierd and evil "other" and that even more folk, like unthinking, joyfully ignorant lemmings, perpetuate the racism.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Ever take a walk through Chinatown in Honolulu lately? I did just last week. While not nearly as shocking as what you'd find in other countries (or perhaps even other states), if you really look, there's enough of a visual slaughter-fest in the meat and fish markets there to open your mind and nostrils up. Surely at least a world beyond the tamed-down westernized environments of a typical Foodland, Safeway or Costco.

Live frogs? Check. Whole rabbit carcasses? Check. Pig's heads and internal organs? Check. And the butchers there show no shame in displaying their knife skills, if you know what I mean.

Comes down to philosophy 101.
    having just come from a trip in the philippines and walked around several "wet markets" where fresh meats, fish, etc are sold in the open air without the benefit of heat lamps, refrigeration, or sneeze guards, and where customers can reach out and touch a tenderloin with bare hands to decide whether to buy it, it is abundantly clear to me that we americans do not, generally, have a realistic or honest relationship with food.

on the contrary, our relationship with food is based in fantasy. it's a rare one of us nowadays who knows what cutting open a carcass smells like, or how long it takes to grow that head of lettuce before it's the right size for a salad, or what patience it takes to catch a fish. our food just magically appears, wrapped in styrofoam and plastic, and made pretty by a host of people including butchers, genetic biologists, and large corporations.

if you know how much feed it takes to fatten up a chicken so that it's ready for soup, you're not likely to fatten yourself with large amounts of chicken. if you witness firsthand the labor it takes to make one bowl of sushi rice, you're not likely going to gorge yourself on it or throw it away just because you can't finish it in one meal. if you had to gut and de-scale every fish you ate instead of purchase pre-cleaned, pre-fileted, vaccum-packed frozen cuts, you'd have an appreciation for food that the general american public does not have.

i'll say it again: most americans have a relationship with food that is based in fantasy.

take, for example, those people who refuse to eat any cut of meat unless it is boneless, headless, legless, eyeless, etc. personally, i feel that if you have no stomach to eat meat off the bone or don't have the respect for your food that you can eat it while looking into its (dead) eyes, you shouldn't eat meat at all.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

If sharks, lions, tigers and other known man-eating predators could talk, I could just hear them asking this same question.

How about Cuy. Every try that?

Live frogs? Check. Whole rabbit carcasses? Check. Pig's heads and internal organs? Check. And the butchers there show no shame in displaying their knife skills, if you know what I mean.

Comes down to philosophy 101.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I never tried eating a dog or planning to eat one just to say that I did. As far as other people wanting to eat a dog, I don't see a problem with people raising their own dogs as a food source. I do have an issue with people killing other people's dogs for food, I don't think that is right.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaKine
    replied

Are there any restaurants on Oahu that have dog on the menu?

Leave a comment:

• Sharilyn
    replied

I heard dog tastes like pork.

Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've heard that people prepare dog by beating and torturing them days before. Supposedly, it brings out the best flavor. Before slaughter, they force feed vinegar and rice so that the intestines will be cleaned out and filled.

I heard this from a couple of people. One of them lived next door to Filipinos, and he said the sound of suffering dogs was so awful, that they eventually moved. They reported them to the humane society, but nothing was done. Can anyone confirm/deny this practice? The thought of it gives me nightmares.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

I don't like the killing of animals for food, but they do taste quite good.
    What fo' do?!
    Agreed. If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make 'em outta meat?

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Yup, had it at a feast a family of a Lakota boy for going to do sundance.

Had horse, buffalo, bear, squirrel, raccoon, 'oppossum, rattle snake, 'gator, deer (raw and cooked), snapping turtle, snails, shellfishes, balut, prairie oysters, lambs head with the eyes, assorted fish parts (salmon, walleye etc.).

That's what I liked, there's some things I can't stand...like haggis...bleh!!!

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Matapule, what was sea cucumber like?
    It was.....spongy. It didn't have much taste other than what it was cooked with. Frankly, I was wishin' I had a bottle of Tabasco and a cup of home brew (Tongans used fermented coconut).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X