Public Fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Fruit

Hawaii has a ton of public fruit!! Have you seen any public fruit lately? In the park, or growing out of the sidewalk anywhere? Along a hike or trail?
    Maybe we could post about it here! Free Fruit!!

This is a link to tell you more about public fruit, a concept that I heard of and participated in in Los Angeles, where everyone needs to get ot of their houses more, and try to eat more fruit. And it's an idea that could work right here, on this thread! at least I hope so...
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Public Fruit

During mango season I see "public" fruit on the freeway. Attempting to retrieve it might not be in one's best interest, however!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I see "public" fruit on the freeway.
      Me too, and usually the public fruit is a Mongoose Squash.

Oh. Wait. Is squash a vegetable and not a fruit?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        During mango season I see "public" fruit on the freeway.
        Okay! That's a start! What freeway, between what street and where? There might actually be an easy and safe way to get those mangoes, or a trail or park nearby.

Lika Niu - EWW! Yick! Let's not eat those 'squash'!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Oh. Wait. Is squash a vegetable and not a fruit?
          No, you're good. Botanically speaking, it's fruit. Though mongoose ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            Okay! That's a start! What freeway, between what street and where? There might actually be an easy and safe way to get those mangoes, or a trail or park nearby.[...]
            H-1
            Moiliilii area
            Sorry, the street names aren't within sight from the freeway!
            on the far right side...just look for the trees that overhang the fences! (btw, the trees are on private property...the mangoes have dropped on to the freeway!)
            good luck!

Comment

Oh. My bad. I don't recommend anybody try to pick those. But it's a good start in the generally right direction.

Public parks, libraries, schools, beaches, roadsides, etc....this fruit is all fair game! Its kinda like geocaching, only you can eat what you find!

Comment

Apparently, the trees in my yard are "public fruit". At least it seems that way because there are often guys in my yard helping themselves.

There are guava trees along the hiking trails around Tantalus and Manoa Falls.

Comment

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=15491

Here's a discussion of "helping oneself" in someone's yard.

My stepdaughter has this problem with plum trees on her property adjacent to the corner of the street, but the trees do not overhang any public area. The last two summers she has had to go out and confront the folks carrying large garbage bags filling up with her plums; well placed signage did not work. Their response? "We've been picking these plums for many years; we thought you wouldn't mind!"

She explained to the plum thieves, "A bowl of plums is a lot different than a garbage bag full."

Comment

Public Fruit? Do you start saying, "One o'clock, Two o'clock, Three o'clock...Ding Dong?"

Comment

I've seen guavas on the trail by the pali look out

Comment

Oops, I seemed to have stumbled upon a freegan meeting!

Good luck, people!

Comment

"Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted, but the truth is discovered..."

I've seen a lot of lilikoi on the hiking trail that begins near the entrance to Punchbowl Cemetery. Haven't been up there for a while, though. Think I'll go exploring sometime next week.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            "Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted, but the truth is discovered..."
                            I should have known you'd be the one to squeeze out that lyric...

Comment

"Freeganism is an anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."["

Thanks Vanguard! (hey, wait, something seems to be wrong with my keyboard!) Anyway, if the above definition from Wikipedia is mostly accurate, then, yes, I guess I am a freegan. Freegan awesone, that is!! Seriously, tho, I'd never heard of freeganism before, I'd just consider myself to be anti consumerist, or minimalist, if you will, and I really hate to see fruit go to waste, wether it be from your neighborhood parks' trees, or at the grocery store, or in my own refrigerator. (what is wrong with my keyboard? OMG, if i broke Sven's computer I will never hear the end of this. Off to do a test post...)
                              Thanks for getting into the spirit of this, everyone. Public fruit! Freegan' yeah!!

Comment

Working...
                              X