Milk has gone SPAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk has gone SPAM

Over the years I've watched the price of Meadow Gold's Viva milk go from from ~$2.50 to ~$5.50 a gallon. Sadly, Sam's Club no longer carries Viva. They now carry this monstrousity:

Designed by Superior Dairy, the new containers are supposed to be cheaper to transport, friendly for the environment, and can be handled by robots.

On the other hand, it's trickier to pour without spilling. Some people won't like the looks. I'm not sure which I dislike more: square jugs or milk in a bag.

I'm not THAT put off by the new ergonomics, but they do remind me of the state of our economy. Makes me think of SPAM.

Have you folks spotted these new jugs yet? How do you feel about them?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Milk has gone SPAM

Oh and the milk is from a different dairy (mainland perhaps?). My family are milk connoisseurs. They can taste the difference (hence their preference for Viva).
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

Those containers doesn't look like there will be milk inside. That size container should have written that it contains "hazardous material."

Comment

I remember seeing a news report a year or so ago that this was the future of milk jugs. Like you said, MJ, easier to ship/fill for the dairy. Are they twist on lids, or snap on? Do they still fit in that door spot in the fridge?

The only place we could really taste a difference in the milk was on Eleuthera. Yukky milk; had a bitterness that was just bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Those containers doesn't look like there will be milk inside. That size container should have written that it contains "hazardous material."
          Heh, I see what you mean: "Don't drink from yellow milk jugs."

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          Are they twist on lids, or snap on? Do they still fit in that door spot in the fridge?
          The lid is twist/screw on. It fits in my fridge door. In fact it has a slightly smaller footprint while still having the same height. At least they didn't mess up that aspect of ergonomics.
          "

Comment

As of Saturday, December 13, the Pearl City Sam's Club still had the regular shaped milk jug/container. The whole white milk is Dairyland brand (I think), but the chocolate milk is Viva.
            I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Kanahina. Downtown Sam's Club still has Viva chocolate milk. The square milk is from Western Dairy Innovations...I don't think I want my milk innovated!

I wonder how long the dairy companies have been itching to make this switch. Perhaps they saw the weakened economy as a good time to push this change onto consumers.

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
              still had the regular shaped milk jug/container
              I'm glad to hear your jugs are still regularly shaped...

(sorry, it's late and I couldn't resist. I'm sure I'll regret it in the morning.)
              "

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                The whole white milk is Dairyland brand (I think)
                I totally forgot about the Dairyland switch. You're right, that's what they were selling down here, also. Viva -> Dairyland -> Square stuff.
                "

Comment

I was shocked to see when I was in Honolulu (came back yesterday from there) that 1 lt of milk cost like over 3$ u.s... here in Montreal its like oh about 1.50$ CDN !!!
                  http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
                  http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
                  If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                    My family are milk connoisseurs..
                    Interesting! We have started purchasing our milk in perfectly rectangular, one quart cartons at Costco. This is milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened. It works great and I like the taste. Costco sells it by the case (not located in the cooler section). We like it especially for the boat where we don't have a lot of refrigerator room and we just keep one quart in the fridge at a time, the rest goes into a storage locker until we need it. It is much less expensive too. We purchase the 1% flavor.

I wonder what a family of connoisseurs would think about the taste.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Here in Arizona, it is not unusual to find one of the big grocery stores selling milk for $1.00 per half gallon and $1.99 for a full gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by legal_secretary_in_mtl View Post
                        here in Montreal its like oh about 1.50$ CDN !!!
                        Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
                        Here in Arizona, it is not unusual to find one of the big grocery stores selling milk for $1.00 per half gallon and $1.99 for a full gallon.
                        Oh, stop rubbing it in, you two

Yeah, our prices are crazy. Our cereals are pricey too. The joy of living on a remote island.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        I wonder what a family of connoisseurs would think about the taste.
                        I hope we're not a family of Napoleon Dynamites!

Milk which doesn't need to be refrigerated (until opened) is handy. Is it cow milk or soy? My survivalist friend might like the idea.

I'll have to try a blind test with the kids, to rule out psychological factors. Thanks for pointing it out, Matapule.
                        "

Comment

Milk which doesn't need to be refrigerated (until opened) is handy. Is it cow milk or soy?
                          It is definitely bovine. How do they do that? Comes in either 1% or full octane.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            It is definitely bovine. How do they do that? Comes in either 1% or full octane.
                            From what I understand, all you need do is eliminate the factor which causes spoilage. Not sure what that is in milk, perhaps bacteria? Acidophilus milk has the lactobacillus acidophilus added, to aid in digestion (some humans lack the proper enzymes to digest cow's milk), and in my experience, it tends to sour more quickly than standard pasteurized milk. But, I was also taught that pasteurization was supposed to destroy bacteria in milk, so why would pasteurized milk spoil? Unsterile containers? Packaging or handling?

From this website:

http://www.idfa.org/facts/milk/pasteur.cfm

Comes these facts:

"The most common method of pasteurization in the United States today is High Temperature Short Time (HTST) pasteurization, which uses metal plates and hot water to raise milk temperatures to at least 161° F for not less than 15 seconds, followed by rapid cooling. Higher Heat Shorter Time (HHST) is a process similar to HTST pasteurization, but it uses slightly different equipment and higher temperatures for a shorter time. For a product to be considered Ultra Pasteurized (UP), it must be heated to not less than 280° for two seconds. UP pasteurization results in a product with longer shelf life but still requiring refrigeration. "Another method, aseptic processing, which is also known as Ultra High Temperature (UHT), involves heating the milk using commercially sterile equipment and filling it under aseptic conditions into hermetically sealed packaging. The product is termed "shelf stable" and does not need refrigeration until opened. " (emphasis mine)

Side-note:
                            I buy my salads pre-packaged, (Fresh Express) and noticed that they tend not to spoil (wilt, brown) until after they are opened. I figured that if you cut the salad and package it in an inert gas, like nitrogen, it would retard spoilage. I was going to write the company to ask them, but never got around to it. Maybe I'll just open the bag and try to breathe it.....

The wonders of technology....
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Yeah but, on the other hand. Other kine Hawaii stuff costs a lot here. I just cannot find ogo for my poke (I posted earlier this year and nobody could help me), our prices for SPAM are very high as is the cost for vienna sausages. I also pay $4.00 for a 10 oz. stick of Portuguese sausage. I also pay $2.79 a pound for Hawaii papaya.

But there are other advantages to living where I do, I guess. I just went grocery shopping since a friend is coming over for dinner tomorrow nite. I bought butcher special cut USDA choice rib steaks for $3.77 a pound, and fresh asparagus for $1.99 a pound. I just cannot get over the price of meat in Honolulu!!
                              ================================================== =

Oh, stop rubbing it in, you two

Yeah, our prices are crazy. Our cereals are pricey too. The joy of living on a remote island.

I hope we're not a family of Napoleon Dynamites!

Milk which doesn't need to be refrigerated (until opened) is handy. Is it cow milk or soy? My survivalist friend might like the idea.

I'll have to try a blind test with the kids, to rule out psychological factors. Thanks for pointing it out, Matapule.

Comment

Working...
                              X