X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boric Acid and Lye in Chinese food products

Lye, boric acid banned as food additives in China

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ING01/81215018

Substances commonly used as industrial dyes, insecticides and drain cleaners were included on a list of illegal food additives China released Monday as part of a months-long government crackdown aimed at improving the country's shoddy food safety record.

Among the 17 banned substances was boric acid, commonly used as an insecticide, which is mixed with noodles and meatballs to increase elasticity, a statement posted on the Ministry of Health Web site said. Also forbidden was industrial formaldehyde and lye, used in making soap and drain cleaner and added to water used to soak some types of dried seafood to make the products appear fresher and bigger.

Great, dried noodles and dried shrimp ..... wonder if noodles-in-a-cup have those Chinese made ingredients?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Boric Acid and Lye in Chinese food products

China is nobody's friend. They are and have always been an enemy to the US, but yet we can't do business with them enuf. This type of crap is not going to end. We need to re-start a business revolution here at home and provide jobs and consumables for ourselves.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I guess we'll soon see '100 year old' eggs removed from the market, since they're treated with lye (darn). Then again, illegal fireworks always seem to dominate the sky July 4th & new year's eve...
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        I guess we'll soon see '100 year old' eggs removed from the market, since they're treated with lye (darn).
        'sokay, salmoned - we'll find 'em hidden next to the lutefisk.

Comment

Dang it. Can't eat hominy any more.

And I guess my boric acid eyewash and antiseptic are not safe either.....

I'm going back to table salt!!

(but they can keep the formaldehyde.)

Ah, well, gotta "dye" of something, right?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            Dang it. Can't eat hominy any more.

And I guess my boric acid eyewash and antiseptic are not safe either.....

I'm going back to table salt!!

(but they can keep the formaldehyde.)

Ah, well, gotta "dye" of something, right?
            Well you might have a valid point there about it not being safe to eat boric acid eyewash and antiseptic.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Did you know that table salt is also useful as an eyewash and antiseptic?

"However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt." per the link I posted. Everything in moderation.

Comment

Working...
              X