Apple Crisp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Crisp?

Anyone have a recipe for Apple Crisp?? I'm looking for one like the schools make, I've searched the web for recipes, but if I remember correctly the schools apple crisp had a crust on the bottom.... (Am I remembering correctly) Any help is greatly appreciated!
    sigpic

Re: Apple Crisp??

This is what I do...

Equal weights (not measures) of flour, butter, sugar, and oatmeal, plus some salt. I either rub it in by hand or I put all but the oatmeal into the robot and pulse, then add the oatmeal last.

This goes into a big bag in the freezer. When I want a crumble (or crisp or buckle...), I put fruit into a pan with a bit of water or lemon juice and set it to bake at about 350/75 for a bit, then top with the oatmeal mix, sometimes I add spice to the mix, sometimes just to the fruit. Sometimes I add nuts or raisins. Top the fruit with a thick layer and put it to bake til crisp. Voila!

Now....the mix in the bag in the freezer can be added to with such things as leftover cookie dough bits, raw piecrust trimmings, breadcumbs, the aforementioned nuts, whatever. The more the merrier.

If you don't want to wait til the fruit warms before putting the topping on, then don't. Just as long as you cook it til it's delicious.

Some ideas...

Apple and prune, or raisin, or armagnac, or blackberry, or walnut...add cinnamon or clove.

Pear and lemon, or walnut, or even blue cheese.

Plum and almond....or bits of marzipan.

Banana and chocolate chip.

Pumpkin and spice.

Canned fruit for those days when no fresh is available.

Fruit with jam added.

To save on clean-up, put the fruit onto a piecrust first and then add the topping and bake.

Rub together one pound of flour and half a pound of unsalted butter along with a teaspoon of salt and two of baking powder. Mix together about a half cup or so of cream and two egg yolks, and sprinkle this onto the flour mix, tossing lightly with a fork, til it takes shape, then knead it lightly once or twice. Let it rest for an hour or so and roll out.

Canned pie filling.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Apple Crisp?

Very helpful!!! Thank you for responding!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

This is a recipe from the Honolulu Advertiser that was in response to request for the kind of apple crisp made at schools.

Apple Crisp

To use cherries, just buy two cans cherry pie filling; or drain 3 cans sweet cherries, mix with 2 teaspoons lemon juice and a half-cup sugar and use as apples, below.

1 1/2 cups cold butter (3 blocks)
        1 cup granulated sugar
        4 cups all-purpose flour
        2 cans Comstock Apple Pie Filling
        1 tablespoon granulated sugar
        1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the first three ingredients together using a pastry blender or two forks, until mixture becomes a crumbly texture.

Spread about two-thirds of the crumb mixture in a 9-by-13 pan. Spread the pie filling evenly over the crust. Don't press down and don't forget corners.

Add 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the remaining crumb mixture in the large bowl, toss.

Sprinkle this crumb mixture over the top of the apples; again, don't press down.

Bake in the center of the oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, or until light golden brown. Makes 24 servings.

An easy and tasty recipe.

Comment

Public school apple crisp rocked. THanks for the recipes.

Comment

This isn't the school's version but it's really good, nonetheless. Not to mention, very easy!

* 1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
            * 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
            * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
            * 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
            * 1 teaspoon ground allspice
            * 1 tablespoon white sugar
            * 3/4 cup butter
            * 1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
            2. Pour the cans of apple pie filling into a 9 x 13 inch rectangular pan.
            3. In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sugar. Sprinkle mixture over pie filling.
            4. Pour the dry box of cake mix over apples. Dot with butter and scatter nuts on top.
            5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes to an hour, until cake is brown on top and bubbling on the sides. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.

Comment

Thank you all very much for the recipes! I'm going to be trying all of these recipes
              sigpic

Comment

My mom makes something very similar to that, Tutusue! She doesn't use all the spices and uses Yellow Cake mix instead of Spice Cake and puts crushed pretzles on top b/c my sisters don't like nuts. It used to be my favorite, but I'm definitely going to have to try yours! Sort of a more grown-up version of hers. Thanks!

ETA: I just copied and pasted it into my recipies. And I named it TutuSue Crisp!
                Last edited by surlygirly; January 13, 2009, 08:37 AM. Reason: Named the Crisp

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                X