Denny's in Kaneohe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denny's in Kaneohe

Boy! That's quite a story! Must have been really weird to be there during that!
    It was quite entertaining. I didn't realize that biscuits were such a hot commodity!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      Especially after the lovely Denny's experience I had on my honeymoon when the cops had to physically drag a customer out because he become so beligerent over wanting another biscuit with his biscuits and gravy meal that he heckled the waitress and eventually threw a pancake at her.
      Ummm... the other day I had a ricochet
      biscuit. A ricochet biscuit is the
      kind of a biscuit that's supposed to
      bounce back off the wall into your
      mouth. If it don't bounce back, hee hee hee,... you go hungry!
      Bow bow bow...
      Umm, umm, umm... the other day I had a cool
      water sandwich and a Sunday-go-
      to-meetin' bun...
      Bow bow bow...
      Hee hee hee hee... What da ya want for
      nothing? ... a rrrrrrrrubber biscuit?
      Bow bow oooh ooh oooh oooooooo-waaaaaaaah

Comment

WB, since you're clearly a fan of The Blues Brothers, don't forget their Wish Sandwich.
        That's where you've got two pieces of bread and you wish you had some meat.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          I'm more of an IHOP girl myself. Especially after the lovely Denny's experience I had on my honeymoon when the cops had to physically drag a customer out because he become so beligerent over wanting another biscuit with his biscuits and gravy meal that he heckled the waitress and eventually threw a pancake at her. I wish I were making this up. And no, he was not drunk.
          SG.... whoa, that's a brutal memory for your honeymoon scrapbook. Was this Denny's in Texas? I was once married to a long haul truck driver, and I have had to eat in many Denny's and such type restaurants in my times on the road with him. Some were good, and some were scary. Texas meals were nearly always A+. Service was great too.

The Lahaina Denny's turned me into a lifelong Kona coffee drinker. It's Kona or nothing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Was Tiki Tops before that, yeah?
            Yep. I have fond memories of Tiki Tops.

Comment

I've now been in a few of the Kailua places.

Lucy's: Fancy presentation, very good food, portion looked small on a big plate, but was actually about right. Cooks were a little too boisterous. Around $25

Pinky's: Casual, lively atmosphere. Food was good. Had some kind of "Aloha Platter" that included about 1/2 pound of Kalua pork (no joke), a fish fillet, rice, laulau, and mac salad. Waiter was very personable and attentive. Come hungry. $15

Champa Thai: Simple, casual place. Good coconut curry. Around $12

Maui Tacos: Very casual, kind of like a trendy drive-in. Good food, good portions. Less than $10

Mexico Lindo: Fun decor, beyond noisy. There was a guy who sang and played the guitar. He was really good, but man he was loud. No amplification. He was running under his own steam. So everyone in the place is talking really loud. Too loud for easy conversation. Food was average, big portions. I had some mexican style barbequed pork ribs. Pork ribs are typically pretty tender, but these were more like beef in texture. I'd give them another try with some other dish.

Buzz's (across from Kailua Beach Park): Easy atomosphere, easy staff, good food. Teriyaki Chicken about $15. I liked it. Did I mention it was easy.

L&L Drive in at Enchanted Lake Shopping Center: I've said it before. Barbeque Chicken, regular plate, all rice. Breakfast of Champions.

Can anybody comment on Boots and Kimo's? There's always people outside waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post

Lucy's: Fancy presentation, very good food, portion looked small on a big plate, but was actually about right. Cooks were a little too boisterous. Around $25

Pinky's: Casual, lively atmosphere. Food was good. Had some kind of "Aloha Platter" that included about 1/2 pound of Kalua pork (no joke), a fish fillet, rice, laulau, and mac salad. Waiter was very personable and attentive. Come hungry. $15

Maui Tacos: Very casual, kind of like a trendy drive-in. Good food, good portions. Less than $10

Mexico Lindo: Fun decor, beyond noisy. There was a guy who sang and played the guitar. He was really good, but man he was loud. No amplification. He was running under his own steam. So everyone in the place is talking really loud. Too loud for easy conversation. Food was average, big portions. I had some mexican style barbequed pork ribs. Pork ribs are typically pretty tender, but these were more like beef in texture. I'd give them another try with some other dish.

Buzz's (across from Kailua Beach Park): Easy atomosphere, easy staff, good food. Teriyaki Chicken about $15. I liked it. Did I mention it was easy.

L&L Drive in at Enchanted Lake Shopping Center: I've said it before. Barbeque Chicken, regular plate, all rice. Breakfast of Champions.

Buzz's even provides aloha shirts to guests who come in from the beach shirtless, I saw this at lunch the other day. Try their calamari it is simply
                amazing, has a lemon butter and caper sauce, it's not rings but a nice size
                calamari steak under the appetizer section. The crab sandwich is very very good too. I like the lilikoi drink with the rum float on top but the name escapes me now. Maybe it was due to the rum float

Comment

I always found Lucy's to be waaay too noisy if you're sitting inside. Sit out on the lanai if the weather's good.
                  Boots & Kimo's is deservedly famous for their awesome banana pancakes and mac nut sauce. Yes, sauce, not syrup. But everything else on the menu was just so-so. Haven't eaten there for a few years, so maybe it's improved.
                  If Baci Bistro is still there, across the street from Lucy's, try it out!
                  And of course you've got The Shack. YUM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I always found Lucy's to be waaay too noisy if you're sitting inside. Sit out on the lanai if the weather's good.
                    Boots & Kimo's is deservedly famous for their awesome banana pancakes and mac nut sauce. Yes, sauce, not syrup. But everything else on the menu was just so-so. Haven't eaten there for a few years, so maybe it's improved.
                    If Baci Bistro is still there, across the street from Lucy's, try it out!
                    And of course you've got The Shack. YUM.
                    While this isn't about Denny's thus far Baci is still there. I've a preference for Assaggio myself, just had a wonderfully civilized 2 martini lunch there the other day. I LOVE the tableside prep of the Caesar salad!

Comment

I am NEVER going back to this Denny's again! Went there 3-days after opening for breakfast. Silverware on the table was obviously dirty, so my wife asked for new and they brought her silverware with food stuck on it! They literally came around EVERY 2-minutes and asked if everything was OK, asking EVERY time they came around. I understand they just opened and want to make sure everything's all good, but they went just a bit overboard and that made a very bad impression. Another thing was obviously too many workers on the floor. The hostess is another story...She made it out to be a major crime that we wanted a booth instead of taking the table that they were going to seat us at. They obviously have a lot to learn and until then, I'll dine somewhere else. Just my experience...

Comment

I dunno about that being the breakfast of champions. Couch-potato champions, maybe.

Interesting how people are talking up local eateries in this thread, compared to a national restaurant chain like Denny's. As I said, Denny's can always fall back on its well established brand name and recognition to attract a steady stream of customers. The mom-and-pop operations don't have that luxury. The only way for them to establish a reputation is with their product. Shame on any local restaurant that can't outperform Denny's in terms of food and customer service. And with the way the economy is going, that alone may not be enough to ensure survival.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by mybotoitchy View Post
                          I am NEVER going back to this Denny's again! Went there 3-days after opening for breakfast. Silverware on the table was obviously dirty, so my wife asked for new and they brought her silverware with food stuck on it! They literally came around EVERY 2-minutes and asked if everything was OK, asking EVERY time they came around. I understand they just opened and want to make sure everything's all good, but they went just a bit overboard and that made a very bad impression. Another thing was obviously too many workers on the floor. The hostess is another story...She made it out to be a major crime that we wanted a booth instead of taking the table that they were going to seat us at. They obviously have a lot to learn and until then, I'll dine somewhere else. Just my experience...
                          I hope you can get that taken care of............maybe you should see a Doctor?
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Various circumstances put us in Denny's Waikiki this weekend - overriding feeling while there: uji - everything's sticky.

Comment

Working...
                            X