X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu grindz on Travel Channel TV Sept. 9

From this new story:

Isle restaurants featured on Travel Channel

Adam Richman, host of "Man vs. Food," dropped in on several O'ahu restaurants recently and a special on his visit will debut Sept. 9 on the Travel Channel.
    MAC 24-7 was one of his stops, where he accepted the challenge of finishing a three-tier stack of 14-inch pancakes within an hour an a half. The restaurant will host a "MAC-Daddy" event at 6 p.m. Sept. 9 during which the segment will be featured on six TV screens and, in addition, they're offering the opportunity for diners to accept the same challenge and win complimentary pancakes and a one-night stay at the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio, where the restaurant is located. The event is from 5-7 p.m.
    The episode will air on Oceanic channel 325.
    (...)
    The segment will also feature Helena's Hawaiian Food in Kalihi and Hukilau Cafe in La'ie.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Oahu grindz on Travel Channel TV Sept. 9

I always liked "Man vs. Food". When it first came on, I thought it would be gross, since it was about pigging out on food challenges, but it turned out to be much better than that. I think it's because Adam Richman is so likable.

But I always wondered it that program could work in Hawaii. For the life of me, I could not think of any local restaurants that had a "food challenge". The closest I could think of was "plate lunch" (specifically "Masu's Massive Plate Lunch"), which, unfortunately, is no more. A co-worker in my previous work place used to take orders for Masu's when the menu was particularly good (usually Hawaiian). I always placed my order and ate what I could for lunch, then saved the rest for dinner. This was never designed as a challenge; it was just al lot of food. I could never finish a whole order, though if it was a challenge, I probably could have. But only if it was a true challenge (i.e. eat it all in half an hour and it's free!).

This ought to be an interesting episode.

Comment

Didn't the old Ranch House in Aina Haina used to have an eat half a cow and all the trimmings in half an hour and dinner is free challenge...or sumthin' like that? I think it was geared towards surfers.

Comment

Bob's Big Boy had some kind of giant cheeseburger deal -- if you could eat the whole thing, it was free and they'd post your photo on the wall.
        I never tried it.
        I'm going to watch that show on Sept. 9 primarily to see my beloved Hukilau Cafe!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Monday night's (8/24) 10pm KGMB newscast had a story about the Man vs Food challenge for the pancakes. Seems that a few of the KGMB personnel attempted the challenge themselves and couldn't finish the pancakes.

Comment

Working...
          X