Trying to find a new restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a new restaurant

There was a place in San Francisco I ate at in Chinatown called R&G Lounge. It was very good.

I'm trying to find something similar to this here on Oahu. Is anyone familiar with R&G?
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Re: Trying to find a new restaurant

what exactly is it about R&G lounge that you find so appealing? we have more cantonese restaurants than mcdonald's restaurants on oahu. also, R&G's pricing is quite high: $15 for black mushroom and mustard greens w/oyster sauce, $13 for half a shoyu chicken, or $11 for salted fish and chicken fried rice. R&G's menu here.

any of those dishes can be had for a maybe half the price yet just as well or better executed than at R&G. just drop by any one of the ubiquitous neighborhood chinese joints like won kee (chinatown cultural plaza), au's garden (kalihi), pahke's (kaneohe) or duk kee (kaimuki).

if you really want to pay for a swankier atmosphere, try little village on smith street or hee hing on kapahulu. at little village, salted fish & chicken fried rice is $8.95, steamed veggies w/oyster sauce is $6.95, and their half a shoyu cornish hen is $6.50. little village's menu here. at hee hing, salted fish and chicken fried rice is $10.95, three mushroom stir fry is $9.95, and crackling chicken in shoyu sauce is $8.95. hee hing's menu here.
    Last edited by cynsaligia; September 21, 2009, 01:20 AM.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
      There was a place in San Francisco I ate at in Chinatown called R&G Lounge. It was very good.

I'm trying to find something similar to this here on Oahu. Is anyone familiar with R&G?
      I used to love R&G Lounge on Kearny when I lived there. I dont have any recommendations, I just find the chinese food in SF to be different than here in Hawaii. I hear the same about Vancouver vs. SF, NYC vs. SF etc. Every place seems to be different.

One thing I wish there were more of here was Hunan restaurants, the spicy type.
      n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        what exactly is it about R&G lounge that you find so appealing? we have more cantonese restaurants than mcdonald's restaurants on oahu. also, R&G's pricing is quite high: $15 for black mushroom and mustard greens w/oyster sauce, $13 for half a shoyu chicken, or $11 for salted fish and chicken fried rice. R&G's menu here.

any of those dishes can be had for a maybe half the price yet just as well or better executed than at R&G. just drop by any one of the ubiquitous neighborhood chinese joints like won kee (chinatown cultural plaza), au's garden (kalihi), pahke's (kaneohe) or duk kee (kaimuki).

if you really want to pay for a swankier atmosphere, try little village on smith street or hee hing on kapahulu. at little village, salted fish & chicken fried rice is $8.95, steamed veggies w/oyster sauce is $6.95, and their half a shoyu cornish hen is $6.50. little village's menu here. at hee hing, salted fish and chicken fried rice is $10.95, three mushroom stir fry is $9.95, and crackling chicken in shoyu sauce is $8.95. hee hing's menu here.
        i've been to lots of chinese joints, but not really as good...

thanks for the reminder of Little Village. that place is good. haven't been in a while.

i'll check out Hee Hing
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
        X