Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
    Okay, so I see that this thread is old, but I'm new here so here's my two cents on burgers... Shiro's Saimin Haven. I live in Ewa Beach, so we usually go to the one there. The teri-burgah is excellent!
    I grew up in Waimalu so I know Shiro's very well. The last time I went there (the one in Waimalu) with my Dad (about 2 years ago) we both ordered saimin. Half way through mine, I found 3 baby roaches in the soup. Grossed out, I quit eating. My Dad laughed at me as he finished his soup. Low and behold, he had about 4 baby roaches at the bottom of his bowl.
    When the waitress came to give us the check I pointed out the roaches to her. She looked and then said "Oh, yeah no...only small kine, though." Then she walked away. We never went back again...

My favorite hamburger memory from Hawai'i is the roach-coach at Leeward Community College in the 80's. They had the best burgers on earth!
    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

No Rules Burger at Outback Steakhouse.

Order it with everything except blue cheese and BBQ sauce.

Tastes great after 3-4 Big Bloke Foster's.

Comment

apologies in advance as this has nothing to do with hawai'i's best hamburger. but, i was watching adrew zimmerman, bizarre foods, travel channel, he was in MN. they have what they call a GOOBER burger. beef burger topped off with peanut butter and mayo?!
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

(breathing the breath of life into the old thread--Yes, IT LIVES AGAIN!!)

Okay, I happened upon this thread, and wanted to tell about the Carl Jr's on Nimitz...the sign is a Hardee's emblem, and DH said they serve the Angus Burger!! Now in the Southeast those burgers are killer; as a matter of fact I think I need one for supper. I'm callin' him right now. Will report later on said burger.

(PS: I looked for the old national chain thread with no luck. If you would be so kind as to help me locate it, I will report my results from there.)

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
            beef burger topped off with peanut butter and mayo?!

I can vouch for peanut butter and mayo, but the burger part mystifies me. Must be a local taste there in the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
              Will report later on said burger.
              Sorry, not tonight. we ended up with mike's kickin chicken from wahiawa; too off topic.

Comment

Sorry, not tonight. we ended up with mike's kickin chicken from wahiawa; too off topic.
                But right on topic for The Chicken Thread!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I can vouch for peanut butter and mayo, but the burger part mystifies me. Must be a local taste there in the Midwest.
                  peanut butter and mayo?! wow! don't know if my palate or my arteries could handle that. you're probably right, must be a local taste. they even had sauer kraut pies?! sauer kraut with an egg custard in the middle!
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Oh yuck!!

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      apologies in advance as this has nothing to do with hawai'i's best hamburger. but, i was watching adrew zimmerman, bizarre foods, travel channel, he was in MN. they have what they call a GOOBER burger. beef burger topped off with peanut butter and mayo?!
                      I seen that. The peanut butter was warmed up, making it more like a sauce and putting the "goob" in burger. Everyone who was interviewed in that diner, called My Sister's Place in Minnesota, raved about it.

Another non-Hawaii burger, in today's news, the AP tells about a "156 Step Recipe Burger"...
                      WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (AP) -- A team of Purdue University students concocted a 156-step recipe for preparing a hamburger to win Saturday's annual national Rube Goldberg Machine Contest.

This year's task was to assemble a burger consisting of no less than one precooked meat patty, two vegetables and two condiments, sandwiched between bun halves.

The victory by the 17-member Purdue Society of Professional Engineers was the team's third such win in the past four years in the contest, named for the late cartoonist known for his drawings of complicated devices performing simple tasks.
                      I'd like to see a video of that machine in action. With 156 steps, I imagine it would have also had to make and bake the bun from scratch. They could also add at least 100 (probably much more!) steps by assembling the ground beef patty grain-by-grain.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Made it to Carl Jr's today; I had the Thickburger and DH had a double cheeseburger. Very juicy, drippy, quite tasty. But I think it could be replicated closer to the North Shore. But since we were in town it was worth it!

Comment

Kua'aina burger is pretty decent, but really hit and miss at times.

We need an In & Out burger here in Hawaii!!!
                          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

I've enjoyed South Shore Grill's hamburgers. A bit-large burger on ciabatta bread with cole slaw vice lettuce. [I searched, but no one has mentioned this one.]

Although cost mo, truss me, this is mo bettah than In & Out.
                            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I'll tell ya where.
                              Just down the road from so so Teddy's is The Waikiki Elks Club, where they serve the best burger to be found, (unless I make mine for you). Their Elks Burger is a meal in itself, under $7 w/fries! And you can eat it in a classy setting, while enjoying the beautiful sea-nery, hefty Long Island's, and on Wednesdays before noon, the kupuna sing songs of old Hawaii with steel guitar back up.
                              Hard to beat that combo!

Get it with just mayo/tomato, and hello Heaven!
                              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 7, 2009, 05:39 PM.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Sorry - I would have to go next door with the Outrigger Canoe Club's Black Angus Burger. That's where I always ask to go for a special lunch. and, no I'm not a member - just lucky enough to be taken as a guest and I have had the Elks Club burger too so can make the comparison.

But, the Elks Club does have good music to go along with their food so that is a plus for them.
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X