Remember Pnut butter Ding Dongs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Pnut butter Ding Dongs

** I've traveled around some and nobody I talked to remembers Peanut Butter creme filled ding dongs !!!! it was the early 70's. Maybe it was just a west coast thing. Maybe they were a big flop ?? Not in my house and you had to eat them frozen too

I'm writting Hostess to see if they will bring them back !!!

DeLene

Re: Remember Pnut butter Ding Dongs

Originally posted by DeLene-Aiea81
    ** I've traveled around some and nobody I talked to remembers Peanut Butter creme filled ding dongs !!!! it was the early 70's. Maybe it was just a west coast thing. Maybe they were a big flop ?? Not in my house and you had to eat them frozen too

DeLene
    hmmmm i don't recall peanut butter... now dat wud need a glass of milk to fight da ting stuck to da roof of ur mouth!
    Reggie aka pinakboy
    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
    Recipe Tube TV!
    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

I think you're right that it may have been an east coast thing, maybe a failed test market sampling.

I remember back in the late 70's in Idaho there was this C&H sugarcane commercial that was obviously not targeted for Hawaii audiences. It depicted this local kid paddling this very small keiki sized outrigger canoe down a sugar cane irrigation canal to meet his papa working the cane fields. This was the childhood vision of an adult male buying C&H sugar at his grocery store.

To me that was a bit hokey and I imagine if it were aired here in Hawaii everybody would have said, "Yeah right"

Then there's Hellmans Mayonaisse on the east coast and it's west coast name better known as Best Foods.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Never heard of peanut butter ding dongs. Do they still have regular Ding Dongs? I think I'll get some on the way home.

How bout Haupia Ding Dongs! Hey I got dibs on that idea! lol

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
          Never heard of peanut butter ding dongs. Do they still have regular Ding Dongs? I think I'll get some on the way home.

How bout Haupia Ding Dongs! Hey I got dibs on that idea! lol
          how about butter chantilly twinkies?!!

oops mah diet!
          Reggie aka pinakboy
          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
          Recipe Tube TV!
          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            I think you're right that it may have been an east coast thing, maybe a failed test market sampling.
            I don't think they sold the Peanut Butter Ding Dongs in Hawaii. If they did it might have been a one time thing.

I remember back in the late 70's in Idaho there was this C&H sugarcane commercial that was obviously not targeted for Hawaii audiences. It depicted this local kid paddling this very small keiki sized outrigger canoe down a sugar cane irrigation canal to meet his papa working the cane fields. This was the childhood vision of an adult male buying C&H sugar at his grocery store.

To me that was a bit hokey and I imagine if it were aired here in Hawaii everybody would have said, "Yeah right"
            I was visiting the Bay Area in the late 80's, early 90's were I heard a C&H Sugar radio commerical that had a couple of local sounding guys as sugar cane field workers who was tasting sugar and said that it came from such-as-such field, sort of like a take off on wine vintage.

Then there's Hellmans Mayonaisse on the east coast and it's west coast name better known as Best Foods.
            A net friend of mines who hails from the New England area told me (a long time ago) that Hostess Yo-Hos are known as Devil Dogs. I don't remember if Ding Dongs were mentioned or not or if they were known by another name.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLene-Aiea81

DeLene
              I grew up in South Jersey and I remember peanut butter Ding Dongs! They were excellent! I also enjoyed Tastykakes, and sometimes my family would send me a gift pack. For a while they were sold here in Hawaii, but they didn't catch on. Just as well. I'd be wider by far, LOL. And yes Hellmans is it on the East Coast.

I don't think it's the case any more, but when I was growing up over there in NJ, there were no Pizza Huts. Mostly it was Vito's, or Giovanni's or Maria's or Rose's. Hand-tossed by the mob. Nothin' better than mob-tossed tomato pie. @
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I don't remember peanut butter Ding Dongs, but now I have a craving for one.

Comment

I suppose if someone does find it on the island they would let us know. I take it for the peanut butter version, the peanut butter takes the place of the white filling inside?

Comment

Don't recall seeing PB ding-dongs.....but love, love, love those coconut sno balls!
                    Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      A net friend of mines who hails from the New England area told me (a long time ago) that Hostess Yo-Hos are known as Devil Dogs. I don't remember if Ding Dongs were mentioned or not or if they were known by another name.
                      Devil Dogs are a Drake's product and are not quite like Hostess' Ho-Ho's. Devil Dogs are kind of an oblong shaped non-chocolate covered two layer devil's cake pastry filled with creme; Hostess' Ho-Ho's (Remember the Happy Ho-Ho?) are a chocolate covered rolled cylinder type of chocolate cake, also filled with layers of creme, ala the blatent copy that Little Debbie makes: the "Swiss Rolls". All of the above are off-limits to marathon runners except during the short time frame immeadiatly after running a race.

Also, for what it's worth, around New England: Devil Dogs are also the nickname Boston Red Sox fans have pinned on the lowly Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball team.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        I grew up in South Jersey and I remember peanut butter Ding Dongs! They were excellent! I also enjoyed Tastykakes, and sometimes my family would send me a gift pack. For a while they were sold here in Hawaii, but they didn't catch on. Just as well. I'd be wider by far, LOL. And yes Hellmans is it on the East Coast.
                        My kane grew up in Joisey, too (Hackettstown, the home of M&Ms, he likes to remind me). He kept talking about Butterscotch Crimpies Tastykakes, so a couple of years ago, I ordered a Tastykake selection for his birthday (had to get them via mail order). When he opened up the box, the first thing he said was, "ooooh, Butterscotch Crimpies!" as he proceeded to demolish the contents of the box. He saved the Strawberry Crimpie for me (said it was too bizarre a combo for him) and when he finally got around to eating his beloved Butterscotch Crimpie, he said, "this doesn't taste like the Butterscotch Crimpie I ate as a kid..." grrr.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But hey has anyone ever tried the pineapple filled Hostess DingDongs? MMMMMmmm...nah only joke!

Reading these posts before breakfast isn't a good idea, now I gotta drive 25-miles into town so I can get some ding dongs now
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            But hey has anyone ever tried the pineapple filled Hostess DingDongs? MMMMMmmm...nah only joke!

Reading these posts before breakfast isn't a good idea, now I gotta drive 25-miles into town so I can get some ding dongs now
                            Awwww, you poor ting, you! Get one Hostess factory a few minutes away from my hale. You like I go send you some? Den no need drive into Hilo! You know if I send you some, going arrive in mint condition, yeah, because those tings and Twinkies get shelf lives of at least 1,000 years! (Imagine what that does to your digestion).

Malama pono,
                            Miulang

P.S. Maybe one pineapple, guava or lilikoi filled DingDong or Twinkie would be a good local treat! I mean, already get dakine pineapple, guava and lilikoi filled malasadas...
                            Last edited by Miulang; July 29, 2005, 08:08 AM.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I remember banana twinkies....they were pretty good
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X