Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What food would you never eat?

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Old-time Japanese considered fish eyes a delicacy.

"Rocky Mountain oysters" - We had a small piggery operation (< 50 hogs). After castrating the male piglets, the Filpino men helping my step-father would pocket these "jewels" for later consumption.
    We must have picked that up from the Spanish, whose delicacies includes bull's cojones.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

• Balut
      • Liver
      • Tongue
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

If you crashed on an icy mountain, could you eat human flesh to survive? Or would you rather die? I think I'd rather die, but then I've never been in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
          If you crashed on an icy mountain, could you eat human flesh to survive? Or would you rather die? I think I'd rather die, but then I've never been in that situation.
          Dead is dead. Food is food. (don't eat the brains)
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
            Eyeballs. Eyeballs belonging to any mammal.

I believe it is an honor in some cultures to be offered the eyeballs of a featured menu item.

Eeek.
            My uncle and great grandfather LOVED eating the eyes of fish. Loved only refers to my late great grandfather, I'm sure my uncle STILL loves it. When my mother was little she said they would take their chopsticks, pick them off of the fishy and chase her around the hale telling her to take a bite.
            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I will eat anything except for spicy foods. Don't get me wrong I love the taste but my stomach can't handle it!

Comment

Lobster and crab.

In fact, I don't care much for any kind of shellfish. I find crustaceans particularly repulsive, though. I realize that that puts me in a minority, but it allows me an observation that I think escapes most.

Since the taste has never appealed to me, I'm able to observe their physical appearance dispassionately. Ever since I can remember, crustaceans (crab, shrimp, lobster, etc.) have always looked like the same kind of creature as beetles, spiders, scorpions, cockroaches and centipedes. I'm sure every child starts off aware of this glaring similarity, but as they get older and develop a taste for crustaceans, they become blind to it.

Of course, I later learned that they are all the same kind of creature. Crustaceans (crabs, lobster, shrimp, crayfish, etc.), insects (ants, beetles, mantis, locusts, etc.) and arachnids (spiders, scorpions, ticks, mites, etc.) are all arthropods. They have the same body structures and they fulfill similar roles in their respective ecosystems. I even think lobsters and cockroaches sort of smell the same.

Doesn't this look like a black & white picture of the leg of some exotic -- and probably delicious -- species of crab?

It's a cockroach leg, greatly magnified.

Anyway, I think I've made my point. Now I'm not saying lobster/crab-lovers don't see the resemblance. I'm sure they do. I bring all this up to lead into the part that really baffles me... Why is the image of a lobster or crab considered so appetizing? I don't understand that. Fancy restaurants will serve lobster with the entire disgusting-looking creature intact on your plate. Why?

Again, I don't eat lobster, but if I did, I wouldn't want to be reminded of how disgusting-looking a creature the meat is from. I'd much rather have just the meat on some vegetables drizzled with some sauce. I think that would look far more appetizing that having a gigantic scorpion on your plate and eating the flesh out of its tail. It just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                  [...]Fancy restaurants will serve lobster with the entire disgusting-looking creature intact on your plate. Why?[...]
                  I was raised on crustaceans and other creatures fresh from the sea so it's 2nd nature for me. What I have a hard time with is seeing the live lobster or crab in a tank in a restaurant and knowing that their time is about up. I can't choose one only to see it dead on my plate a bit later. But, that's my only hang up about the subject. Love the taste!

Comment

Cockroach legs and Guines pigs! oh and ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                      Cockroach legs and Guines pigs! oh and ass!
                      That's the second time in this thread you mentioned @ss. lol. You must have had a really bad experience with that in the past.

zff makes a good point about crustaceans (shellfish) and their resemblance to land-bound insects and bugs. A cooked crab or lobster still intact, head and all, staring at me on the dinner table (or anything for that matter) can be disturbing and something I'd rather not see.

I'm not a crab fan anyway. For lobster, just give me the tail. Keep the head and everything else in the kitchen.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        That's the second time in this thread you mentioned @ss. lol. You must have had a really bad experience with that in the past.
                        You should read Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour," where he describes one dish he eats in Japan as "mountain rectum."

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          [...]... just give me the tail. Keep the head and everything else in the kitchen.
                          Jeez...you sound just like my ex-husband! Oh wait...that's way too off topic for this thread!

Meeeeeeemorieeeeees!

Comment

Working...
                          X