Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalihi Eats

Originally posted by Pomai
    Gotta support da' Kalihi businesses! I'll try next week. One of my favorite places in the Kalihi area is Richie's Drive-Inn (N. King, across da' post office near Farrington H.S.). Get one Broke da' mout' chili dog plate, plus cheap! Also, Yuki's Okazuya & Coffee House on (near Mistuken) School st.. Da stuffed shrimp is winnahz!
    The quality of Richie's isn't excellent, but for your so-so plate, you get a lot of food for a buck or two less than at other plate-lunch places. Richie's is most famous for the $4.25 (that's including the tax) boneless chicken -- you get three breaded, boneless thighs covered in gravy -- and for being open until eleven at night, and for having a drive-through window! That's a great combination for so-so food.

Yuki's has been closed for at least a year. Sorry to break the news to you. It, too, was pretty good and quite inexpensive.

I've never been much of a Diner's fan, but it's open 24 hours and there are a couple of things on the menu that are very, very good. Stay away from the chicken katsu, but give the roast pork a try. It's wonderful.

What are your other favorite Kalihi eateries?
    Last edited by scrivener; September 9, 2005, 09:05 PM. Reason: "So you think you're a Romeo just playing a part in a picture show . . ."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Kalihi Eats

The Roast Turkey @ Diners is great. Also, the Roast Beef, Braised Oxtail and Pork Cutlet/Chicken Wings Combo. I also enjoyed their cheeseburgers.

Helena's Hawaiian Food on School Street. Da Short Rib's Pipikaula, Squid Luau, Lomi Ahi with Opihi, everything is onolicious!

Mitsuba Okazuya, Gulick Okazuya and the one across Mitsuba. There's another on N. King Street.

The Pastele Shop on School Street.

Kennys Resturant still serving the best breakfast! Also a wide assortment of lunch and dinner menu.

Violets in the Kapalama Shopping Center. Okinawan and Local Menu. Great Local Food. Homemade Hamburger and Prices are reasonable.

Boulevard Saimin, Palace and one more I can't remember.

Han Yang Korean Food. New owners but same quality of foods and the price is reasonable.

In the same complex theres a Chinese Resturant and a BBQ place that serves ostrich burgers...something different and the regular BBQ stuff.

We also have Bob's BBQ in the corner of Dillingham and Houghtailing.

Several Japanese Resturants on Kapalama Canal.

For Filipino Foods...there's Jesse's Bakery! Masarap Bakery goods and Dilicious Filipino Cuisine. Very reasonable prices!

I can't leave out my favorite, Pancake House!

By the old Gem's complex, many resturants.

I'll leave the rest to be named by others.

Kalihi Rules!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 9, 2005, 09:43 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The cafeteria at Honolulu Community College is now run by the Food Service Program by the Employment Training Center.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        The cafeteria at Honolulu Community College is now run by the Food Service Program by the Employment Training Center.
        Helen, Can only students eat there or is the Public allowed to dine there too? If so, where is it located? Is it near the Cosmotology Dept?

Lynn

Comment

I guess the public can eat there since they don't check for any kind of ID. The cafeteria is the 3rd building ewa from the Cosmotology Building.

Comment

Is Sogoy's in the little strip mall near the Grocery Outlet / Satellite City Hall still in business. They had good machiko chicken.

I also like Pancake House.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Richie's is most famous for the $4.25 (that's including the tax) boneless chicken -- you get three breaded, boneless thighs covered in gravy -- and for being open until eleven at night, and for having a drive-through window!
              So there is a plate lunch place with a drive-thru on this rock. That right there is an untapped competitive advantage just begging to be exploited.

Any rich benefactors out there who want to provide seed money for a restaurant? Scriv will help work the counter.... right Scriv?

Comment

Meg's Drive Inn used to be good but I haven't been there for a while. Toshi's Okazuya opens at 4:30am so that's convenient for the early birds. Golden City make some pretty decent tasting food. Of course can't leave out Ideta's in the old Classic Bowl parking lot.
                For monster shrimp tempura, I know this isn't in Kalihi but go to place at the Chinese Cultural Center on the River St. side. It's a Japanese restaurant that is called Fumi...something, I forget but they give you four giant shrimps, the other food on the menu is also very good.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  Is Sogoy's in the little strip mall near the Grocery Outlet / Satellite City Hall still in business. They had good machiko chicken.
                  Sugoi's is still there and going strong. Don't forget to stop in at Wholesale Unlimited when you're there as well - same strip mall.

Comment

Meg's Drive Inn still has pretty good food, and my sweet, sweet Green River I mostly just eat the beef stew at Meg's, though. Used to eat at that place by Grocery Outlet, Shiro's, too. But that's somewhere I haven't been too for long time except to get a root beer float from the takeout window once in awhile. Love the fried rice from Kam Bowl/Kapiolani Coffee shop, too. Or Mak bowl, whatever
                    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Don't forget the famous OX-TAIL SOUP from Kam Bowl!

Great Hawaiian Foods and Laulaus from Youngs Fish Market at the old Gem's Location too!
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; September 10, 2005, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Local Boys' Cafe on Democrat St. That's my place for local grinds when I'm in Kalihi.

Nothing extraordinary about the place; it only has 4 booths and caters mainly to the industrial workers who are employed over in the Sand Island area. Most customers come in for to-go plates.

I always make it a point to visit there when I'm in Honolulu. Wes (the owner) always fixes me up with plates of vegetable fried rice which I drown in shoyu. Really ono. If I'm not in a rice mood, and it's early morning, I go for a short stack of pancakes. Wes also lets me drink all the soda I care to.

If you go, just tell Wes that Randy from RI sent you..he'll instantly know what you're talking about. Also, parking there is wicked tough. Best to take TheBus..it's a short walk from Nimitz down Mokauea.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Don't forget the famous OX-TAIL SOUP from Kam Bowl!
                          That's nine bucks a bowl, so enjoy every drop.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Nine bucks?! I hope that includes a free game and rental of the bowling shoes.

OT: the oxtail soup at California Hotel wasn't bad either.

Comment

wow $9??!!! i remember it was like buying a bowl of pho for $5-6!!!
                              dang but i guess its still worth it.

those were da gud ol days when was cheap....
                              Reggie aka pinakboy
                              Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                              Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                              Recipe Tube TV!
                              Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
                              X