Kalihi Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kalihi Eats

Been hearin a radio advertisement on the FISH 95.5 for a kalihi restaurant that just opened recently called "loo-lins" (sounds like) restaurant with a buffet and live entertainment. anybody got any info on the restaurant as in reviews and or a website?? dey also said its on either School St. or King St.
    hmmmm i don't recall any new restaurant driving by on either roads...
    Reggie aka pinakboy
    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
    Recipe Tube TV!
    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
      Been hearin a radio advertisement on the FISH 95.5 for a kalihi restaurant that just opened recently called "loo-lins" (sounds like) restaurant with a buffet and live entertainment. anybody got any info on the restaurant as in reviews and or a website?? dey also said its on either School St. or King St.
      hmmmm i don't recall any new restaurant driving by on either roads...
      Loulen's. Folks were talking about it in the Tiny Tadani threads. Sombody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's at 1125 North King Street, between Waiakamilo Road and the Kapālama Canal.
      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; October 3, 2005, 11:34 AM.

Comment

thanks Glen! btw dat thread with tiny gives me a headache just to skim through it! lol
        Reggie aka pinakboy
        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
        Recipe Tube TV!
        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

If you're heading towards Chinatown on King Street Loulen's is one building before Jesse's.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
            If you're heading towards Chinatown on King Street Loulen's is one building before Jesse's.
            I had lunch today at Loulens. The atmosphere, service and food was much better than Jesse's. My only beef was the chicken papaya...the thing was kinda tough... like the kinda chicken you get at cockfights or something.

Comment

Whenever i'm in the neighborhood and gotta have some grinds, i make it a point to go to Boulavard Saimin. i always go for their Won Ton Min or their Saimin Special w/ enough shoyu/mustard sauce to clear my sinuses (even if they aren't clogged/stuffed). It takes be back to my hana-bata days (how's dat for one segue?) when my dad used to bring me there if he had something to do in town. The best part is that the place still looks the same as it did in the `70's!

Comment

gotta try Waiakamilo Drive Inn in the Waiakamilo shopping Plaza near The Pancake house...their version of garlic chicken is very good (I'd rate it above Mitsu-Ken and Sugoi's...

Comment

I've been in Kalihi Valley for 17 years and appreciate the list of places in Kalihi. Here's a few more in the area I don't think have been mentioned:

Spots Drive-In, across from HCC has good food, but a fairly limited selection of plate lunches. It was named for their pet Dalmation.

Makai of Spots is a Japanese place my wife likes called Yoehi Sushi.

Kalani Korean BBQ in City Square near Sugoi and Young's has great short ribs. One of their veggie choices is lotus root, which my wife really likes. Shiro's nearby has closed.

In the same area is The Crab Tank, Utage and YTL Koffee Haus (formerly Sav-Mor Coffee Shop). Anybody try 'em?

Monarch Seafood has a take-out lunch counter and excellent plate lunches. All their plates come with Waimanalo greens and really ono salad dressing.

Some of my HPU students really like Wang's in Waikamilo SC.

Fritz's Deli (Dillingham DH of Waiakamilo) makes pretty good sandwiches, as I recall.

There's a new Pho restaurant on Middle near the back gate of Ft. Shafter. Don't know the name.

Nick's is a new place at Pier 32, I think. Anybody try it? Kinda outside of Kalihi...

Kam Center, besides Kenny's, also has a Ba-Le, Yummy, Subway, Bear's, and a new place I think is called Sumo Noodle.

I often have lunch meetings at Sizzler (next to Boulevard Saimin). Good food and atmosphere.

Of course, we got 2 Zippy's, KFC, McD's, J in B, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, L&L, Aloha Sushi, and Popeye's. Also a St. Germain/Dee Lite bakery.

Some good eats slightly outside of Kalihi include: Da Big Kahuna, Bob's Big Boy, and the 99 Ranch market Food court in Mapunapuna, La Mariana and El Charo on Sand Island, and Liliha Bakery.

Here's a list of all the places we've mentioned. Want to rate them?

Noteworthy Kalili restaurants
                  Ba-Le
                  Bear’s Drive-In
                  Bob’s Bar-B-Q
                  Boulevard Saimin
                  Crab Tank
                  Diner’s
                  Fritz’s Deli
                  Golden City
                  Golden Coin
                  Gulick Delicatessen
                  Han Yang
                  Helena’s Hawaiian Food
                  Honolulu Community College cafeteria
                  Ideta
                  Jesse's
                  Kalani Korean BBQ
                  Kam Bowl/Kapiolani Coffee shop
                  Kenny’s
                  Local Boys' Cafe on Democrat St.
                  Loulens
                  Meg's Drive Inn
                  Monarch Seafood
                  Mitsu-Ken
                  Nick’s
                  Original Pancake house
                  Richie’s Drive In
                  Sizzler
                  Spots Drive-In
                  Sugoi
                  Toshi's Delicatessen
                  Utage and
                  Violet’s Grill
                  Waiakamilo Drive Inn
                  Wang's
                  Yoehi Sushi
                  Young Fish Market
                  YTL Koffee Haus
                  Zippy's

Comment

Okay, nice idea to list all of the places mentioned thus far. I've eaten at more than the ones I picked out from the list but they're the ones that stand out for me personally:

Helena’s Hawaiian Food - Deep fried butterfish collar and pipikaula are really good.

Ideta - Reliable Japanese.

Kenny’s - Good seafood specials.

Nick’s (Nico's) - Really good food almost all the time and great prices. One of the best pastry chefs on Oahu, Sami Choy, is baking there and you can order some of the dreamest cakes and pies - how about some Lilikoi Haupia Pie or Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Tartlett - sooooo yummy!

Original Pancake house - My favorite pancakes are here the 49'ers sourdough flapjacks.

Wang's - Really like their versions of Korean-Chinese food.

Yoehi Sushi - One of three or four really good sushi places in town.

Did I miss New Diner's Drive-In? One of the best cheeseburger values you can get.

Comment

Bob's Bar-B-Que moving to new Honolulu location | Business | kitv.com

Bob's Bar-B-Que, a familiar sight on Dillingham Blvd. is moving.

Comment

Working...
                      X