X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Bob's Bar-B-Que moving to new Honolulu location | Business | kitv.com

Bob's Bar-B-Que, a familiar sight on Dillingham Blvd. is moving.

Leave a comment:

• glossyp
    replied
    Re: Kalihi Eats

Okay, nice idea to list all of the places mentioned thus far. I've eaten at more than the ones I picked out from the list but they're the ones that stand out for me personally:

Helena’s Hawaiian Food - Deep fried butterfish collar and pipikaula are really good.

Ideta - Reliable Japanese.

Kenny’s - Good seafood specials.

Nick’s (Nico's) - Really good food almost all the time and great prices. One of the best pastry chefs on Oahu, Sami Choy, is baking there and you can order some of the dreamest cakes and pies - how about some Lilikoi Haupia Pie or Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Tartlett - sooooo yummy!

Original Pancake house - My favorite pancakes are here the 49'ers sourdough flapjacks.

Wang's - Really like their versions of Korean-Chinese food.

Yoehi Sushi - One of three or four really good sushi places in town.

Did I miss New Diner's Drive-In? One of the best cheeseburger values you can get.

Leave a comment:

• Creative-1
    replied

I've been in Kalihi Valley for 17 years and appreciate the list of places in Kalihi. Here's a few more in the area I don't think have been mentioned:

Spots Drive-In, across from HCC has good food, but a fairly limited selection of plate lunches. It was named for their pet Dalmation.

Makai of Spots is a Japanese place my wife likes called Yoehi Sushi.

Kalani Korean BBQ in City Square near Sugoi and Young's has great short ribs. One of their veggie choices is lotus root, which my wife really likes. Shiro's nearby has closed.

In the same area is The Crab Tank, Utage and YTL Koffee Haus (formerly Sav-Mor Coffee Shop). Anybody try 'em?

Monarch Seafood has a take-out lunch counter and excellent plate lunches. All their plates come with Waimanalo greens and really ono salad dressing.

Some of my HPU students really like Wang's in Waikamilo SC.

Fritz's Deli (Dillingham DH of Waiakamilo) makes pretty good sandwiches, as I recall.

There's a new Pho restaurant on Middle near the back gate of Ft. Shafter. Don't know the name.

Nick's is a new place at Pier 32, I think. Anybody try it? Kinda outside of Kalihi...

Kam Center, besides Kenny's, also has a Ba-Le, Yummy, Subway, Bear's, and a new place I think is called Sumo Noodle.

I often have lunch meetings at Sizzler (next to Boulevard Saimin). Good food and atmosphere.

Of course, we got 2 Zippy's, KFC, McD's, J in B, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, L&L, Aloha Sushi, and Popeye's. Also a St. Germain/Dee Lite bakery.

Some good eats slightly outside of Kalihi include: Da Big Kahuna, Bob's Big Boy, and the 99 Ranch market Food court in Mapunapuna, La Mariana and El Charo on Sand Island, and Liliha Bakery.

Here's a list of all the places we've mentioned. Want to rate them?

Noteworthy Kalili restaurants
    Ba-Le
    Bear’s Drive-In
    Bob’s Bar-B-Q
    Boulevard Saimin
    Crab Tank
    Diner’s
    Fritz’s Deli
    Golden City
    Golden Coin
    Gulick Delicatessen
    Han Yang
    Helena’s Hawaiian Food
    Honolulu Community College cafeteria
    Ideta
    Jesse's
    Kalani Korean BBQ
    Kam Bowl/Kapiolani Coffee shop
    Kenny’s
    Local Boys' Cafe on Democrat St.
    Loulens
    Meg's Drive Inn
    Monarch Seafood
    Mitsu-Ken
    Nick’s
    Original Pancake house
    Richie’s Drive In
    Sizzler
    Spots Drive-In
    Sugoi
    Toshi's Delicatessen
    Utage and
    Violet’s Grill
    Waiakamilo Drive Inn
    Wang's
    Yoehi Sushi
    Young Fish Market
    YTL Koffee Haus
    Zippy's

Leave a comment:

• hawaiiguy
    replied

gotta try Waiakamilo Drive Inn in the Waiakamilo shopping Plaza near The Pancake house...their version of garlic chicken is very good (I'd rate it above Mitsu-Ken and Sugoi's...

Leave a comment:

• RaM1
    replied

Whenever i'm in the neighborhood and gotta have some grinds, i make it a point to go to Boulavard Saimin. i always go for their Won Ton Min or their Saimin Special w/ enough shoyu/mustard sauce to clear my sinuses (even if they aren't clogged/stuffed). It takes be back to my hana-bata days (how's dat for one segue?) when my dad used to bring me there if he had something to do in town. The best part is that the place still looks the same as it did in the `70's!

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Originally posted by D'Alani
    If you're heading towards Chinatown on King Street Loulen's is one building before Jesse's.
    I had lunch today at Loulens. The atmosphere, service and food was much better than Jesse's. My only beef was the chicken papaya...the thing was kinda tough... like the kinda chicken you get at cockfights or something.

Leave a comment:

• D'Alani
    replied

If you're heading towards Chinatown on King Street Loulen's is one building before Jesse's.

Leave a comment:

• pinakboy
    replied

thanks Glen! btw dat thread with tiny gives me a headache just to skim through it! lol

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Originally posted by pinakboy
    Been hearin a radio advertisement on the FISH 95.5 for a kalihi restaurant that just opened recently called "loo-lins" (sounds like) restaurant with a buffet and live entertainment. anybody got any info on the restaurant as in reviews and or a website?? dey also said its on either School St. or King St.
    hmmmm i don't recall any new restaurant driving by on either roads...
    Loulen's. Folks were talking about it in the Tiny Tadani threads. Sombody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's at 1125 North King Street, between Waiakamilo Road and the Kapālama Canal.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; October 3, 2005, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pinakboy
    replied

Been hearin a radio advertisement on the FISH 95.5 for a kalihi restaurant that just opened recently called "loo-lins" (sounds like) restaurant with a buffet and live entertainment. anybody got any info on the restaurant as in reviews and or a website?? dey also said its on either School St. or King St.
    hmmmm i don't recall any new restaurant driving by on either roads...

Leave a comment:

• pinakboy
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    That's nine bucks a bowl, so enjoy every drop.
    wow $9??!!! i remember it was like buying a bowl of pho for $5-6!!!
    dang but i guess its still worth it.

those were da gud ol days when was cheap....

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    Nine bucks?! I hope that includes a free game and rental of the bowling shoes.

OT: the oxtail soup at California Hotel wasn't bad either.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Don't forget the famous OX-TAIL SOUP from Kam Bowl!

Leave a comment:

• Surfingfarmboy
    replied

Local Boys' Cafe on Democrat St. That's my place for local grinds when I'm in Kalihi.

Nothing extraordinary about the place; it only has 4 booths and caters mainly to the industrial workers who are employed over in the Sand Island area. Most customers come in for to-go plates.

I always make it a point to visit there when I'm in Honolulu. Wes (the owner) always fixes me up with plates of vegetable fried rice which I drown in shoyu. Really ono. If I'm not in a rice mood, and it's early morning, I go for a short stack of pancakes. Wes also lets me drink all the soda I care to.

If you go, just tell Wes that Randy from RI sent you..he'll instantly know what you're talking about. Also, parking there is wicked tough. Best to take TheBus..it's a short walk from Nimitz down Mokauea.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Don't forget the famous OX-TAIL SOUP from Kam Bowl!

Great Hawaiian Foods and Laulaus from Youngs Fish Market at the old Gem's Location too!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 10, 2005, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X