Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

Posteb by surfingfarmboy:
    though here in RI, where I can currently buy live lobster (if I ever chose to) for $3 a pound dockside
    I guess you now know what your bringing as treats the next time you visit

Comment

My dad owned a butcher shop growing up, so we got all the good stuff. Things like SPAM and Underwood Deviled Ham were never brought into the equation. I'd ask for that stuff and get an earful from mom about how we don't eat "that crap". I missed out on alot of fun foods that way.

The fact that SPAM is like ham blended up and mixed in with gelatin (ie: Processed Ham flavored food product) kinda grosses people out so it got a really negative connotation here on the mainland.You know..."mystery meat"...Now in my adult life I've had SPAM a few times and like the way it tastes, but the health factor (or lack thereof) is scary.

Spam and eggs sounds great tho :-)
      Last edited by tikiyaki; August 11, 2006, 06:29 AM.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
        Spam and Vienna Sausage = "Food of the gods"
        Agreed.

I loved Cheese Spam. I think I was the only one that would buy it from the stores in Kaimuki before it dissapeared. My favorite right now is Bacon Spam, especially using it in Spam Musubi. Try it. It's da grindz!

My next plan is to use Bacon Spam to make Spam Katsu... with curry.

I never did understand why mainlanders don't like da Spam. It's a gift from Hormel.

Comment

Love spam. Fried and topped with ketchup. Any meal. On bread or not.

Addicted to Scrapple! It is like cornmeal mush with pork sausage mixed in. Cut the loaf into 1/2 inch slices (like bread) and fry (no oil) turning once when browned. Pour maple syrup on it and you have manna from heaven. I have to have it a least a few times in the winter. It's one of those family comfort foods that you get a taste for at certain times.

note: Scrapple is a food you either hate or love... a category many foods fall into...should we start a list? Put Brie on it for me. Ick.
          Last edited by Debwhosmiles; August 11, 2006, 07:20 AM. Reason: clarity
          Speak to me in quiet ways, of moonlit nights and halcyon days~

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
            Spam and Vienna Sausage = "Food of the gods"
            My cupboards are full of these......my son loves the spam (in eggs, in saimin, just plain, etc.) I love the vienna sausage, can eat it everyday, fry em up and eat. Since I can't get the real local grindz, this will suffice for now.
            Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

I actually don't know anyone who hates SPAM and I am on the "mainland". It sells very well here! I like it crispy fried!
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Here in Indiana, I kinda got used to the weird looks I get from the cashier when buying SPAM and Saimin. I just chalk it up to them not knowing the joy of Spam and Kamaboko in your fried saimin!!
                "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Comment

Even before I went veggie, I didn't like it. D'oh!

Comment

I don't want to over generalize here...

But I think Spam has heavily contributed to the problem of many of our kids being over weight here in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by thebulacans
                      Its Funny cause Im from Hawaii ( #1 spam lovers) and I live in Alaska ( #2 spam lovers )
                      I thought Minnesota was #2 in Spam consumption - it's made there, you know.

As others have mentioned, for many people Spam is a "too poor to afford other meat" kinda food, so it can trigger bad memories. As a kid, I had some straight outta the can - ECCCCHHHH!!! - so I wouldn't touch it for years.

Until someone from Hawai`i (the AF, o'course) made it for me, the RIGHT way. Her preferred method is to fry it up with small slices of garlic - and now I love it.

Still haven't tried the hot 'n' spicy variety yet; we plan to dice it up onto a pizza someday.

Comment

Just had some for lunch. Two slices fried with pineapple chunks, over hot rice. Local food to the max .........

Comment

I had Bacon Spam with eggs and rice for breakfast. Good stuff.

As for the Spam being part of the weight problem, I'd have to say it may be part of it. Alot of foods we eat back home can have that effect. Saimin or ramen, does that, along with all the rice. I noticed I lost weight when I cut back on my overeating and not eating as much rice.

Then I overate again and had rice with every meal and now I'm big again. *sigh*

Comment

Well, your big local dish the Loco Moco probably weighs into the equation.

If you were counting weight watchers points, the Loco Moco would be like 2 entire days worth :-)
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

SPAM =

S-pare
                              P-arts
                              A-nimal
                              M-eat

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                                I don't want to over generalize here...

But I think Spam has heavily contributed to the problem of many of our kids being over weight here in Hawaii.
                                No Manoa....That would be grandparents!
                                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X