Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can mainlanders hate spam?

Originally posted by dallascat70
    compared to something like portugese sausage-what you gonna pick?
    Well, yeah...if you gonna put it THAT way, of course PS would be my choice, too (even as a non-Island resident.) But Spam can be prepared in quite a few delicious ways, as discussed already. Try 'em! And report back to us.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
      So Erika how does your curry differ from Korean curry? I looks different.

I make curry often I was taught by an mother of a guy I was dating.
      It is red curry (or green) made with chicken, potatoes, tofu, and sometimes onion.It is made with water not coconut milk. OH and CARROTS too!
      I must confess to cheating on the curry for last night's Spam Katsu Curry Rice meal ... I used boil-in-bag type that had the veggies already in it and just emptied it into a bowl so I could zap it in the microwave.

I've never actually made curry from scratch. I like Japanese curry and Thai curries ... not a big fan of Indian curry; but perhaps I've not had a good one.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I know that indian curry is made with coconut milk instead of water so it is too sweet for me!

Maybe I should try putting spam into my curry too!

That's me staying with the thread!

Oh and BTW curry from scratch is extremely simple.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

It is strange why alot of Mainlanders don't eat Spam when it is delicious...The only people I know that eat Spam are either from Hawaii or The Marianas Islands.
          Last edited by Caliguy; August 16, 2006, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliguy
            It is strange why alot of Mainlanders don't eat Spam when it is delicious...The only people I know that eat Spam are either from Hawaii or The Marianas Islands.
            There's a whole social stigma attached to Spam, for many, many people, who regard it as food for poor folks -- you know, "trailer-trash."

I don't personally recall him ever recoiling over Spam, but I remember my late father's reaction to my raving the first time I tried corned beef hash. It was in an airport cafeteria on the mainland. It isn't so much his words, but his expression that I remember (quite negative). My mother later explained to me that we never ate that at home because he got sick of always having to eat it during the Depression.

Maybe people have those same feelings about Spam -- sort of like Kilinahe shared.
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Everyone has a stigma about some sort of food!

When I was growing up you were poor if you ate hamburger!

I agree with you Erika...it just depends on the place and the people.
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Honestly I think it's just the sticker shock of the nutritional info... people in the US are in general on a health food kick right now. Take a gander at the Spam can some time. One half of one normal Spam can will give you your entire saturated fat limit for the whole day. Discovered this the other day when making some Spam 'n Garlic after reading about it on here

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                  Take a gander at the Spam can some time. One half of one normal Spam can will give you your entire saturated fat limit for the whole day.
                  No, Bard, NO! Don't look at the can, you crazy fool!

Awww...too late...another pillar of salt. And fat. And gelatin.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliguy
                    It is strange why alot of Mainlanders don't eat Spam when it is delicious...
                    You have an odd definition of the word "delicious", IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Manö'iki
                      The L&L over here is nothing liek back home. And during it's two years of being opened it's already been taken over by new management. The new management isn't the best. The food has gone from good to just barely paseable.
                      Heh, not much different here - the L&L in Hilo is definitely one of the worst places I've eaten at. Their lunch buffet is basically 7 flavors of stir-fried gristle.

Comment

Advise to those that who have not tried spam.
                        There are lot`s of way to prepare spam. No worry Hawaii get cook book`s.

It`s a matter of making a meal out of something like stir-fry vegies or pineapple spam. During hard times spam was there to fill up our belly....

OGGBOY
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          Awww...too late...another pillar of salt. And fat. And gelatin.
                          *glugglug*

Comment

Yes the mainlanders here call it a nasty by product.. Till I turned them on to some teriyaki Spam musubi... I made them finish it then told them it was spam guess what they didn't believe me.

So to give them an understanding I prepared it in front of them.

Comment

We ate Spam when we were kids---my father loved the stuff. Spam sandwiches, with Spam sliced right from the can, with mustard. Or fried crispy.

I remember the first time I was assigned to opening the can. The can with the KEY. I screwed up terribly. Went all crooked, then the little metal strip ripped off. Dad was not amused...

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                                I remember the first time I was assigned to opening the can. The can with the KEY. I screwed up terribly. Went all crooked, then the little metal strip ripped off. Dad was not amused...
                                Heh, I remember those! Was commenting to my wife the other day about how they used to have keys.

Comment

Working...
                                X