Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your "COMFORT" food?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Yeah - in retrospect, Kikaida made crappy chili..
    Yeah.. Mechanical monster parts just don't taste that good. Even with a little grease on it

I take Authentic Tokyo style Ramen over local style Saimin any day. But S&S works too.

Zippy's Chili likely got most of its hype from aggressive advertising and fundraising campaigns throughout the years. The company's reputation for quality control and consistency also helped establish it as a respectable, reliable brand.

Try The Shack's Bowl O' Chili & Rice... awesome!
    Last edited by Pomai; November 9, 2005, 01:53 PM. Reason: Broken link
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      Yeah.. Mechanical monster parts just don't taste that good. Even with a little grease on it

I take Authentic Tokyo style Ramen over local style Saimin any day. But S&S works too.

Zippy's Chili likely got most of its hype from aggressive advertising and fundraising campaigns throughout the years. The company's reputation for quality control and consistency also helped establish it as a respectable, reliable brand.

Try The Shack's Bowl O' Chili & Rice... awesome!
      I always thought Manoa Gardens at UH made pretty awesome chili. It was spicier and more 'homemade' tasting than Zippy's. I remember when I was there ('85-'90) a big cup of chili and rice cost a buck and change and filled me up until dinner - best deal on campus! MG's nachos were broke da mout' too-one of the few places to use real cheese instead of 'cheeze'.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        My kumu hula has recently gotten into making her own kim chee - extra-extra spicy! It's fantastic.

Now I don't know what I want more at the moment. Kumu's kim chee or chili (not from Zippys)
        See Reny's Gallery For Great Stuff!

Comment

I think you can make any chili Zippy's chili by adding a dollop of mayo in your bowl of chili and mixing it up real good... to me you can anyway.

Comment

I have one quick comfort food, and one I have to work for.
            Spam musubi is the quick one.
            The other one is a yugoslavian family dish called sarma. It takes months to prep for. Its pickled cabbage leaves stuffed with beef, onion, garlic, and rice, and simmered in a light tomato based broth. mmmmmmm... Takes forever cuz I pickle the cabbage myself. That takes a few months. Then stuffing the cabbage leaves. Then you simmer it for several hours. I love it soo much though. Its worth the work.
            Haolewaiian Girl
            >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Comment

Re: What is your &quot;COMFORT&quot; food?

Originally posted by cezanne
              I think you can make any chili Zippy's chili by adding a dollop of mayo in your bowl of chili and mixing it up real good... to me you can anyway.
              My dad made a great chili that I remember from small kid days. He always added a dollop of sour cream on top. Soooo good!

Comment

If I'm sick, zosui (I'm not sure if that's how to spell it). It's a rice gruel with egg and chives and dashi.

Comment

My comfort food (one of them) is Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazzini. We go way back.

And the microwave oven just pinged.

Comment

Gyoza!

(and PLEASE don't say GOY-za ... that drives me nuts).

Next to what my mom used to make, Ezogiku's gyoza is my favorite. I get two orders of jumbo gyoza, a side of rice and I'm happy (I'm also NOT going to share).

I can't list all my comfort foods here -- neither can you, probably -- out of courtesy to other readers/posters ... but MadAzza's Stouffer's post reminded me of their spinach souffle. I loved it as a kid, I love it now. I only buy it on sale, which is far too rarely. The microwave preparation just doesn't work for me, either. It's conventional oven all the way -- so might as well make two! One for the four kids, one for Mommy to eat all by herself! (Sensing a theme, here?) Actually, I've never done that, but I HAVE thought about it.
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

cheese pizza
                      or ultmate cheese burger with buttermilk sauce. gotta love the feeling of my arteries clogging.
                      www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Creamy stuff like bologna and cheese with extra mayo to make the cheese sticky and bread soggy.. And salty sour stuff like kadon pika
                        Ebb And Flow

Comment

Corned beef hash, eggs o/e and rice
                          Vin d'alhos omelette w/buttermilk pancakes
                          Kim chee (real kine, not Hamms) fried rice loco moco, gravy all ova
                          Pork laulau, opihi, fresh poi and lomi salmon
                          Steamed whole Kona crab
                          Dinaguan w/pancit bihon
                          Ozoni
                          Nishime
                          Nakami soup
                          Menudo
                          Bread pudding with vanilla bourbon sauce
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Nutter Butter wafers. When I'm all futless I go grab a package and eat the whole thing (the kids never knew I had them).
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X