Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miulang
    replied
    Re: Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Originally posted by alohabear
    Ever try Tulip? It is pretty tasty I guess the bacon in it makes the difference
    Gasp! Try anything other than Spam?! That smacks of heresy, young man! Of course, so does that gawd awful turkey Spam. Yuck.
    Miulang

Leave a comment:

• alohabear
    replied

Ever try Tulip? It is pretty tasty I guess the bacon in it makes the difference

Leave a comment:

• Ailina
    replied

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
    Shoyu/sugar is a good marinade. Plus, here in our household we use the "low-sodium" kine shoyu. Everything is already salty as it is, no need more salt! If you don't marinate, you can just fry spam, pour shoyu over while cooking, and then add sugar. With the heat you get a thick sauce over it pretty quick. But depending on the shoyu you use, you will have to do some taste-tests to see how much sugar to add. You can also use teriyaki marinades.
    Mahalo, e tiptoetulip, for starting this thread!

We usually use Kikkoman. We can't get Aloha here. I could probably order it online, but Kikkoman is what my dad raised me on. The only other alternative in our neck of the woods is some weird brand...LaChoy, I think. Ick.

But yeah...I'll give the marinade a whirl. I was wondering why my musubi tasted like something was missing. And my breakfast Spam, too. I never could get it to taste like Dad's. And that's why.

Leave a comment:

• tiptoetulip
    replied

Originally posted by kupomog
    I wanna try the bacon flavored spam we have with the little BLT recipe on the can.
    I tried the bacon spam once, and I didn't care for it that much. But maybe it's all in how you fix it up!

Originally posted by kupomog
    We use Kikkoman for almost everything in this house.
    Over the years, I've come to like different shoyu brands. I like Kikkoman for some stuff, Aloha low-sodium (since that's what mom buy), and there's a shoyu that Panda Express uses...ummm, can't think of the name. Not sure if it is Yamasa or not. For some reason, I LOVE it! I also like using that brand that Panda has for sushi.

Mmmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• kupomog
    replied

Hehe, I taped the spam cook-off challenge, and even that episode of Emeril Live with Sam Choy.

We don't usually marinate, just do the frying. We use Kikkoman for almost everything in this house. Never tried using Aloha for spam musubi or regular shoyu spam. And sometimes we use Ted's teriyaki sauce instead. I love that stuff, especially with May's teriyaki burger...

I wanna try the bacon flavored spam we have with the little BLT recipe on the can.

Leave a comment:

• tiptoetulip
    started a topic Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

Spam tips, recipes, etc. (and spam musubi!)

I started another thread, since I didn't want to start going really OT on the other one with the guy wanting to know if he could keep spam musubi overnight...
    Originally posted by Ailina
    Aw, junk. I didn't know about marinating the Spam. The musubi recipes I got from Local Kine Recipes and Ono Recipes didn't mention marinating!

What's the marinade? Shoyu?
    Shoyu/sugar is a good marinade. Plus, here in our household we use the "low-sodium" kine shoyu. Everything is already salty as it is, no need more salt! If you don't marinate, you can just fry spam, pour shoyu over while cooking, and then add sugar. With the heat you get a thick sauce over it pretty quick. But depending on the shoyu you use, you will have to do some taste-tests to see how much sugar to add. You can also use teriyaki marinades.

After seeing the Spamarama on the Food Network recently, I'd say you could use any number of sauces with your spam. I really want to try "spam on a stick"...I think they used a thick pancake batter. Ooooh!

Let me know how it goes when you make spam musubi again.
Working...
X