No announcement yet.

What should I send to my older brother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I send to my older brother?

He's in Michigan attending school there, and he said that he won't be home for another few years because of his education.

I feel that he's feeling home sick, so I'm thinking of putting something together.

What would you miss if you stayed on the mainland for a few years? My Mom sent him spam (the food), a rice cooker (you gotta have rice w/ spam), dried squid/octopus (and other dried food), and li hing mui.

The friends only liked the li hing mui, but hated the others.

I need some suggestions (and help) in thinking up some things to send a local boy up there.

Also, is there any services that does this (send hawaiian people local things) for cheap?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What should I send to my older brother?

A tee-shirt. Hawaiian style.

Comment

Yeah a tshirt would work well! or some cool stickers. Or you could send him some Zippys.

Did you know they ship that stuff out? When a was homesick in Sacramento My friends hooked me up with some chili and stuff!

http://commerce.secureinput.com/zippys/rates.asp

-vic
      Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Send your brother what the other kids DON'T like then he'll be the only one that eats! Zippy's does a really good job of sending the food out, and it keeps. Or you can just buy the chili and freeze it and mail it in a freezer type container, it does keep if you send it via 2 day delivery...and someone is there on the other end to accept it. Makes me hungry thinking of the chili.
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
          Zippy's does a really good job of sending the food out, and it keeps. Or you can just buy the chili and freeze it and mail it in a freezer type container, it does keep if you send it via 2 day delivery...and someone is there on the other end to accept it. Makes me hungry thinking of the chili.
          Makes me hungry thinking about Zippy's chili too. My cousin lives in MA and she told me she ordered from Zippys quite a few times. I checked online and found that they won't ship to Japan and even if they shipped to the FPO address, it'll go to San Diego before coming to Japan, by then it won't be edible.

Dried aku and frozen poi works though. *hint hint*
          Send POI

Comment

Several things I miss from Hawaii....
            Guava Jam, Chocolate coved Macademia nuts, atabara patatoes chips, stone cookies, dried Ika- abalone-and taco, poha jelly, and sour lemon peel. Some I have found in the Bay area but the others are strictly in Hawaii.

Comment

Poha jam is hard to come by even here in HI. Guess the berries are getting harder to find. I treasure anyone that gives me Poha. Guava should be plentiful. Hope people get the hints and send the folks away all the dried goodies.
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Yeah you guys,

get the hint, send stuff to the poor locals who are living away. And send poi too. ( for the ones who eat poi). I miss Ulu poi too. And opihi and a'ama crab.

Comment

We got spam in any grocery store here in Mich. What we don't have is some of the condiments you are used to using for cooking or just adding onto foods. Things like the Aloha salt, some kinds of shoyu and your local jellies and jams. Send him fresh or jared/preserved fruits that are strictly local.

You can also send him tapes and videos of family get togethers so he can keep up and see everybody even if it's just a little family picnic thing. Pull out a cassette recorder and secretly tape his cousins and family cuttin up and being silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                    You can also send him tapes and videos of family get togethers so he can keep up and see everybody even if it's just a little family picnic thing. Pull out a cassette recorder and secretly tape his cousins and family cuttin up and being silly.
                    That's a good idea, but the video cameras we have are too big to hide (we have both VHS-C and HI8 cams), one of them has a recording indicator light, so I can't hide it w/out anyone getting suspicious.

I recently took some pics of the family visiting the graveyard this past memorial day, so I might edit that, then email it to him.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                    X