Deep-fried Turkey...YUCK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep-fried Turkey...YUCK!

Who else on this board HATES this stuff ? My relatives started making turkey this way about 5 years ago. I for one dread going to the Thanksgiving feast every year because of it. To me, nothing beats a roasted oven browned turkey with all the fixings. I like to brine(with 2 cups rock salt) the bird overnight, then put melted butter all over it, pop it in a 500 degree oven untill it browns(about 1 hour), then knock the temp down to 375 for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours untill done.
    Comes out perfect and juicy all the time!

Leave the deep fryer for donuts and tempura!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Deep-fried Turkey...YUCK!

Never had it...was always curious to know what it tasted like. Is the main thing that it comes out very dry then?

Has anybody had deep fried turkey where it turned out pretty juicy on the inside?

Comment

I have done it twice. First time for Christmas in Colorado. It was 15 degrees outside where the fryer was. The results were very good. Tender and juicy. Next time bad results. Quite dry. The trick is to remember that with compressed cooking time, the window of perfection is narrow indeed. A meat thermometer is essential.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Tried it at a store cooking demo once. Definately moist, with a nice crunchy skin. They used a syringe and injected a liquid seasoning into it.

I'm not a turkey fan to begin with, so it wouldn't matter how the Turkey was prepared. Pass da' Stuffing and Gravy, plus some Ahi Poke and I whack 'em!

Star Bulletin is currently promoting a Turkey Nightmare contest. Tell your most dreadful Thanksgiving Turkey cooking nightmare of a story and enter to win a $100 Times Supermarket Gift Certificate.

More details at this link.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Deep frying turkey is huge in Colorado, where I'm from. If done correctly, it's supposed to be more juicy and succulent than oven roasting. My aunt and uncle have been doing it for years and the turkey looks and smells fantastic, and from what I hear it tastes great too (I'm vegetarian so I wouldn't know!).

A few years ago there was an "incident" with the deep fryer that caused a small fire, but that's a whole other story. Whenever I see that Allstate commercial about the people who burn down their houses due to accidents with the deep fryer, I always think of my aunt and uncle!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
            A few years ago there was an "incident" with the deep fryer that caused a small fire, but that's a whole other story. Whenever I see that Allstate commercial about the people who burn down their houses due to accidents with the deep fryer, I always think of my aunt and uncle!
            You can always trust some oddball relatives to provide the seeds of a good story, huh? Some relatives are most fun when you can all sit around and make fun of 'em on the Holidays.

bkr (shortly removed from an equally short residence in Denver/Boulder myself, but my dad prefers to do his Bird in the Weber, thank goodness)

Comment

I deep fry turkeys and they always come out perfect. The hot peanut oil makes the skin crisp while the meat stays moist. They really are delicious and I haven't oven roasted a turkey since.

Plus it's nice because it's quick, and it frees up the oven for other things.

Comment

My neighbors turned half the block into deep-fried turkey converts, and judging by how well the fryers sell at Costco, it's easily one of the most popular way to prepare the bird these days. I like the flavor and the moistness (if prepared correctly), but don't think I'd do it that way myself. If I'm going to do turkey, I'm doing it the hard way!

Honestly, though, I'm a non-traditionalist with this kind of stuff. My wife is too. We've done special lasagna as our core dish for Thanksgiving. Instead of turkey, I tend to prefer Cornish Game Hens. And this year, we're so pooped, the Chinese restaurant down the street is looking like a pretty good option!

Comment

I got a deep-fryer for a gift 2 years ago and have been frying turkeys ever since.

The one I got is an indoor model that looks like a huge crockpot.

There a many pluses to frying: the turkey is always moist, it only takes about an hour to cook a large bird, and the guessing is gone from the cooking time. There's an easy formula to use base on weight.

I have to admit I miss the herb flavor you can get by oven roasting.
                  You can't stuff a fried turkey either.

Comment

I just think they lack the Roasted flavor and it's oily.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

I make giblet stuffing, pack it back in the bird, shove some butter under the skin by the breast, garlic salt and paprika the top, place into a big plastic baking bag, knot it up, poke a few holes, place in my deep dish baking roaster and bake it until its done. Make more stuffing, garlicky smashed potatoes, green salad, punkin pies and greve from the drippings.

For Christmas, we cook a prime rib roast because Foodland/SacknSave and Safeway usually put these on sale. For New Years, its homemade laulau.

And then its tax time....

pax

Comment

Multi-tasking the Bird

If I were to do the deep-fry method, I'd consider maximizing the effort.

Prepare other items to throw in the HOT oil after the turkey comes out such as:

• AndaDogs (Andagi-battered hot dogs)
                        • Tempura (Shrimp and vegetable varieties)
                        • Fried Chicken (why not? Some people dont' like turkey!)
                        • Home-made potato chips

That's just the Barbeque animal in me... "Throw EVERYTHING ON THE GRILL!".
                        .. in the case, the oil!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                          I just think they lack the Roasted flavor and it's oily.
                          Actually, the ones I've fried are not oily. Almost all the oil remains in the fryer.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraScoop

Actually, the ones I've fried are not oily. Almost all the oil remains in the fryer.
                            About how many gallons of peanut oil does it take to deep-fry a turkey, and what becomes of all of that oil after you're done cooking?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              About how many gallons of peanut oil does it take to deep-fry a turkey, and what becomes of all of that oil after you're done cooking?
                              two and a half gallons.
                              then it gets reused as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X