X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deep-fried Turkey...YUCK!

Originally posted by ExtraScoop
    two and a half gallons.
    then it gets reused as much as possible.
    Skim out all da turkey ukus and you could use it as biodiesel! (Actually, takes a little more den dat, but at least it could be the main ingredient in biodiesel fuel).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But doesn't re-using mean whatever's next cooked in it take on the flavor of turkey? I used to deep-fry potatoes, but no way would I have used the same oil for fish and then use it again for potatoes.

We buy the Safeway turkey for T-day and for Christmas Eve, then do a from-scratch Roast Beast on Christmas Day.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

two and a half gallons.
        then it gets reused as much as possible.
        Dumb but curious question here! Doesn't the used oil eventually (as in a short time) become contaminated by turkey bits and juices? Or does the frying temperature prevent that?

Comment

two and a half gallons. then it gets reused as much as possible.
          It's my understanding (according to friends in the South who have been doing these for decades) that, if done properly, only about 1/4-cup of the oil stays in the bird, so it's not oily; less so than standard fried chicken, in fact.

Yes, the oil does get contaminated by turkey bits - so just keep using it for more turkeys; make 'em for friends and neighbors. Any frying grease needs to be changed after a few batches of anything.

But this is NOT something to be done indoors, under any circumstances - just too dangerous. Also not for patios or wooden decks. Cement spaces away from the house are best, or a cleared patch of ground in the yard.

Comment

We're stickin' with the Turkey-To-Go deal.

It's easy, cost-effective, no messy kitchen or risk of personal injury, and taste as great as home-cooked.

The Li Hing Mui Cranberry Sauce from Pacific Beach Hotel's T-T-G meal last year was so ono!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
              But this is NOT something to be done indoors, under any circumstances - just too dangerous. Also not for patios or wooden decks. Cement spaces away from the house are best, or a cleared patch of ground in the yard.
              The "new style" one I have is indoor use only. It looks different than the aluminum outdoor ones that have caused houses to burn down.

It's very stable, not on a stand like the old ones. It looks like a huge crock pot.

I was hesitant to use it indoors after reading all the horror stories on-line, but I followed the directions and now feel very safe using it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Dumb but curious question here! Doesn't the used oil eventually (as in a short time) become contaminated by turkey bits and juices? Or does the frying temperature prevent that?
                The bits get so fried it's easy to remove them with a screen/sieve thingy.

The only thing I've fried afterwards so far is another turkey and some homemade french fries. Oh, and some chicken breast pieces covered in panko.

Comment

The "new style" one I have is indoor use only. It looks different than the aluminum outdoor ones that have caused houses to burn down.
                  It's very stable, not on a stand like the old ones. It looks like a huge crock pot.
                  I was hesitant to use it indoors after reading all the horror stories on-line, but I followed the directions and now feel very safe using it.
                  Excellent! Make enough turkey this year to share with all your buddies on HT now, so we can all discuss it from personal experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    We're stickin' with the Turkey-To-Go deal.[...]
                    I'm with you on that! I won't be at home for either Thanksgiving or Christmas this year but I may order one of the complete dinners anyway and make a bunch of "tv dinners" and a big pot of turkey soup for the freezer. That oughta put the Tilia Foodsaver to the test and solve the no leftovers issue! Damn, now I'm hungry...

Comment

Just curious, is injecting the turkey with seasonings a critical part in this method? Or can you omit that and just use salt and pepper?

Reason asking is, I've got a few syringe injection seasoning ideas to consider...

• Kim Chee powder (diluted in water)
                      • Goya's Achiote Seasoning (diluted in chicken stock)
                      • Miso paste (diluted in mirin and rice wine)
                      • Straight Brandy (buggah going explode or what?)
                      • Old Bay Seasoning (diluted in beer)

After all, what you load in the syringe is the only means you have in making that Turkey your own.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I don't inject them, I rub them with salt and cayenne pepper, and they are wonderful.

Some people re-use the oil up to three times by straining it through cheesecloth and then storing it in a cool, dry place, but I don't. I simply make the most of the oil by deep-frying two or three turkeys one after the other. That way, everyone gets turkey to take home and enjoy.

When I'm finished frying, I pour the oil back into the original bottles and throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                          Just curious, is injecting the turkey with seasonings a critical part in this method? Or can you omit that and just use salt and pepper?
                          All of the injection-seasonings I've seen are cajun or spicy. No one wanted a cajun Thanksgiving turkey.
                          I like your idea of injecting with your own flavors though. Sounds worth a try.

Comment

I notice that most recipes for Deep-fried Turkey call for Peanut oil( because of it's high heat factor). So if you have a peanut allergy Thanksgiving dinner may be your last.
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              I just think they lack the Roasted flavor and it's oily.
                              Deep-fried turkeys done right are actually less oily, yet more moist, than an equivalent roasted bird. A clip-on thermometer is crucial to maintaining the constant oil temp needed for proper cooking. Save the oven for that rib roast.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I have a friend who works in a big hotel, and he uses the used french fry oil to run his (diesel) car.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X