• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    Happened a couple of months ago if I recall correctly - they ran big headlines in their newspaper ads announcing closeouts and closing. But if you don't read the paper . . .
    Bingo! Not the hard copy.
    Originally posted by helen View Post
    This thread exist in the Kaukau Korner sub-forum so more than likey this would be about places that sells food, either you eat at the site, or take out it or bring it home to make it.

There is another thread in another sub-forum that discusses the closures of other types of businesses.
    I never noticed this thread was in Kaukau Korner, Helen. Thanks for the heads up. I know I've seen other posts about disappearing businesses other than restaurants. The thread, "Disappearing businesses", that you link to was started a couple of weeks ago. Where might I have seen non-food related closures over the past few years?

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Possibly somewhere within the 500+ posts to this thread, this has already been mentioned but it was a surprise to me today. Video Life at Ward Gateway has closed per a note on their door.
    This thread exist in the Kaukau Korner sub-forum so more than likey this would be about places that sells food, either you eat at the site, or take out it or bring it home to make it.

There is another thread in another sub-forum that discusses the closures of other types of businesses.

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

Happened a couple of months ago if I recall correctly - they ran big headlines in their newspaper ads announcing closeouts and closing. But if you don't read the paper . . .

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Possibly somewhere within the 500+ posts to this thread, this has already been mentioned but it was a surprise to me today. Video Life at Ward Gateway has closed per a note on their door. I didn't notice a date. I did a quick Google search and didn't find any articles. Dayam...the Apple Store and Video Life have kept this Untechie Tutu from drowning in technology. I needed Video Life today. WAAAAAAH!!! I wonder if they just couldn't compete with the web.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

John Dominis to be demolished, but another eatery/wedding chapel to be built in its place:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...r+John+Dominis
    That's just wayyyyy to bad. JD was such a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki for a nice romantic dinner on the ocean. It was truly one of a kind. Here's a shot of the Gas Company's 100th anniversary at JD with Perry and Price at their Saturday Morning show.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

Erika notes the passing of Liliha Seafood Restaurant:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business..._35_years.html

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

PBN and others reporting that Patti's Chinese Kitchen will close its last location - Pearlridge - at the end of the month. First Patti's opened in 1967.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...t+closes+doors

After a couple of shifts in owners, the Hungry Lion fell behind on its rent and served its last meal on Tues., after 27 years in business.

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

Erika (Star Bulletin) reporting this morning the family-operated La Bamba on Kapahulu shutting down after 20 + years - victim of the recession. After a break, they plan to re-boot somewhere else,

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Erika reporting in this morning's Star Bulletin that Buffet 100 at Ward complex "did not enter the Year of the Tiger."
    AFAIAC, good riddance to them! Buffet 100 started off great, but went downhill after a couple of years. Lots of cost-cutting measures were implemented. There was more ice than cream in the ice cream dispenser the last time I went. And I swear the crab legs they served on their seafood night was soaked in a super spicy sauce in order to discourage people from eating more than a handful.

Also, counting each of the desert toppings as part of the 100 item menu? Cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

Erika reporting in this morning's Star Bulletin that Buffet 100 at Ward complex "did not enter the Year of the Tiger."

Leave a comment:

• NoCal Boy
    replied

What a bummer. We escaped to John Dominis for a private wedding-day dinner after our big reception a few years back. I'll always have good memories of a great meal there capping our wonderful day. (She: 14 oz (!) lobster tail. Me: filet coins and moi. Yum.) We have a nice photo from that night we bought from their roving photographer sitting in our hallway.

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

John Dominis to be demolished, but another eatery/wedding chapel to be built in its place:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...r+John+Dominis

Leave a comment:

• speedtek
    replied

One thats coming back!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=15568

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

Note that they had originally planned to move to another location because of the impending Whole Foods construction - there are lots of businesses that will be displaced by that project - soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X