Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

To replace the TGI Friday's location in Waikiki: some kind of Hawaiian steakhouse (formerly Buzz's Steakhouse)

Comment

I dunno if this was posted.

Anyways, I went to Chinatown and I was horrified to find out the Chinese Candy/Cookie Shop da one located next to Nam Fong Roasted Foods is no longer there. There is no sign to say where they went. Nuttin.

Poof be gone.

Another one bites dee dust.

Sad. I used to end my Exclusive Chinatown Tours there.

I'll miss their delicious Almond and T Cookies!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie, I remember recently one of our local media outlets did a story about them, but I can't remember whether it was TV or print. Try search HA, SB, KHON, KGMB, KHNL or KITV's website for it. IIRC, they basically got too old to continue, similar to Kwong On in Kaimuki.
        Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        I dunno if this was posted.

Anyways, I went to Chinatown and I was horrified to find out the Chinese Candy/Cookie Shop da one located next to Nam Fong Roasted Foods is no longer there. There is no sign to say where they went. Nuttin.

Poof be gone.

Another one bites dee dust.

Sad. I used to end my Exclusive Chinatown Tours there.

I'll miss their delicious Almond and T Cookies!

Auntie Lynn
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Auntie, I remember recently one of our local media outlets did a story about them, but I can't remember whether it was TV or print. Try search HA, SB, KHON, KGMB, KHNL or KITV's website for it. IIRC, they basically got too old to continue, similar to Kwong On in Kaimuki.
          Pomai, I googled.heheheh

And I found it.

Chinatown bakery called irreplaceable
          Shung Chong Yuein Ltd. is closing next week after 45 years
          By Erika Engle
          http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/24/news/story04.html

"SHUNG CHONG YUEIN LTD. on Maunakea Street, a family-run Chinatown institution, will close next Thursday after 45 years of selling traditional Chinese treats and sweets.

Its founders, 82-year-old Shing Yuen Ng and his wife, Chow Hop Ng, "in her late 70s," are going to retire, said Ericson Ng, their youngest son and president of the company. He is also a dentist with a practice in Nuuanu."

Yeah, Pretty Lady wrote about their closing.hahahaha

I also found a recipe foa their famous sesame/peanut candy recipe!
          http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...707250347.html

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I liked Shung Chong Yuein, even if their manapua had hair inside sometimes.

Comment

Aiya! I posted about Shung Chong Yuen in this very same thread. About 3 pages back.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.
                My apologies, I didn't see it.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

No. Problem. I didn't think anyone would know the place by its name. Not even my Chinese friends can remember it.

Comment

• Re: John Dominus (sic) closing

john dominis is closing.

but the advertiser had a really bad typo on its website. pasting here, bcs i'm sure sooner or later they'll fix it:

Posted on: Wednesday, October 3, 2007
                    Hawaii's John Dominus restaurant being sold

By Andrew Gomes
                    Advertiser Staff Writer

The John Dominis Restaurant in Kaka'ako is being sold to a Japan-based investor. Its present owner says redevelopment is inevitable.

REBECCA BREYER | The Honolulu Advertiser

Kaka'ako's waterfront fine-dining restaurant John Dominis may be headed for redevelopment under a plan by owner D.G. "Andy" Anderson to sell the business to a Japan-based investor.

The longtime restaurateur and former politician is seeking state approval to transfer his lease for the state-owned site to Ocean Investments LLC.

Anderson has arranged to sell John Dominis with a provision for him to continue operating the restaurant with its adjacent wedding and meeting facilities for a minimum of 18 months.

"We'll run it as usual," he said.

But Anderson added that factors including the 254-seat restaurant's age, expensive ground rent, rising property taxes and the site's attractiveness make redevelopment inevitable.

"The land rent is getting pretty high, and a restaurant complex in itself won't be able to pay the bills much longer," he said. "It'll have to be redeveloped. The building is tired. The restaurant is too big for today's market. It had its time."

John Dominis has been in business since 1979, perched alongside the entrance to the Kewalo Basin commercial boat harbor in a long-isolated, largely industrial area of the Kaka'ako waterfront.

while i wouldn't suggest dinner (overpriced, poorly executed, bleh!) there, i'd highly recommend the sushi and oyster bar, where you can also have a flight of sake. yes, it's pricey, but the sushi and oysters are worth it, compared to the regular entree stuff (as i've said before in another thread, at least one of the sushi chefs is from the beloved sushi king on...king st), the view is uncomparable, and the restaurant itself is a piece of honolulu history.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                      The venerable Kwong On on Waialae will close next month. I just happened to stop in there this week for a snack. I guess that will most likely be the last time I enjoy one of their manapua. Nina Wu from SB has the story.
                      How did I miss this post? I fell to the ground on Waialae and bawled my eyes out when I stopped by and saw the empty storefront. Sheesh, I just started frequenting Kwong On earlier this year.
                      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Driven on Waialae a couple of times since I've been home. Noticed Kaimuki Chop Suey locked up with windows boarded up.

No can park, so been assuming that they're on vacation or sumpin like that. Anyone know if they're still in business?

Ominous: phone is "disconnected or no longer in service."

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                          Driven on Waialae a couple of times since I've been home. Noticed Kaimuki Chop Suey locked up with windows boarded up.

No can park, so been assuming that they're on vacation or sumpin like that. Anyone know if they're still in business?

Ominous: phone is "disconnected or no longer in service."
                          A kitchen fire consumed most of the restaurant several months ago. I'd post a link, but I'm posting this from my Treo. A quick Google of Kaimuki Chop Suey fire will bring up the articles. IIRC, it was an early morning fire on a weekend and miraculously only minimal damage was done to neighboring business Gecko Books.

The owners vowed to re-open, which delights me and others who work in that area)...but they haven't indicated when they'll do so. I haven't even seen any work being done when I walk by during lunch. I hope it's soon because I'm missing their really cheap lunch plates!
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            A kitchen fire consumed most of the restaurant several months ago. I'd post a link, but I'm posting this from my Treo. A quick Google of Kaimuki Chop Suey fire will bring up the articles. IIRC, it was an early morning fire on a weekend and miraculously only minimal damage was done to neighboring business Gecko Books.

The owners vowed to re-open, which delights me and others who work in that area)...but they haven't indicated when they'll do so. I haven't even seen any work being done when I walk by during lunch. I hope it's soon because I'm missing their really cheap lunch plates!
                            Thank you for this update. A fire, huh?

Last month, I was so embarrassed to be tearing up in front of the now-closed Kwong On that I couldn't bear to be caught crying in front of Kaimuki Chop Suey. I'll be stuck in Honolulu (again) next March, so it'd better be open by then. Nobody wants to see a grown man cry.

Comment

I was sad to hear that Volcano Joe's is closing this week. I liked stopping there whenever I was in the UH area.

Comment

According to news tonight, The Crouching Lion restaurant in Kaa'awa (Oahu N. Shore, just before Kahana bay), which opened in 1957, will be closing doors tonight.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X