X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    I did go to MAPLE GARDEN last night.
    Heard that the owner passed away, so his widow sold the business.
    I used to work at where Robert Hsu (Maple Garden owner) lived.
    He would never let me buy my lunches and truly surprised my wife and I by giving us a wonderful, very special...
    10th wedding anniversary dinner.
    Of course I would always tip big for his staff!

I'll miss the Maple Garden, but Robert Hsu more.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

• varsity theater

missed an opportunity a few days ago to take a picture of the old varsity theater (was in a rush); the screen area was still standing and everything else had been torn down. wish i could have taken that shot.

was in the area today and so took a few pictures. attached is a picture of what it looked like on thursday afternoon (facing diamond head). gonna miss that place....
      Attached Files
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Robert Hsu of Maple Garden always greeted customers at the entrance. So, his absence was a little strange last week.

He was a nice man and will be missed ............

Comment

• Re: varsity theater

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
          missed an opportunity a few days ago to take a picture of the old varsity theater (was in a rush); the screen area was still standing and everything else had been torn down. wish i could have taken that shot.

was in the area today and so took a few pictures. attached is a picture of what it looked like on thursday afternoon (facing diamond head). gonna miss that place....
          Varsity Theater: lots of memories of that place. Last 2 movies I saw there were Being John Malkovich and Tao of Steve in 1999.

After high school me and a few friends snuck some baby Lowenbraus in and we watched Flash Gordon in 1980. I set down an empty bottle on the floor and accidently knocked it over and my firends laughed at me as we heard it roll all the way down to the front.

In 1987 I took a blind date there who later became my girlfriend. As we stood in line she told me that we were "Set up" so her girl friend could get info from me if her boyfriend (my coworker) was fooling around.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Maple Gardens...I remember that verryyy hot dish they served the table next to us. So spicy your eyes watered if you were downwind.
            I remember eating at Maple Garden a long time ago, and we never went back. The reason was that during the meal, we saw 2-3 different large cockroaches scurry out from behind the big painting they had hanging on the wall.

Now as a frequent customer of many restaurants, I don't pretend to think that cockroaches don't exist in restaurants, but I have never been anywhere else where I saw three 2 inch long roaches crawling around the walls of the dining area where you eat.

Pretty disgusting.
            Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
              I remember eating at Maple Garden a long time ago, and we never went back. The reason was that during the meal, we saw 2-3 different large cockroaches scurry out from behind the big painting they had hanging on the wall.

Now as a frequent customer of many restaurants, I don't pretend to think that cockroaches don't exist in restaurants, but I have never been anywhere else where I saw three 2 inch long roaches crawling around the walls of the dining area where you eat.

Pretty disgusting.
              So that begs to question: Would you go back to eat at Sekiya's?
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

another goner is ilima award winner, baja tacos on st. louis drive. eric & i mourn its passing, bcs it was much more interesting to eat there than at bc burrito. we didn't even get a chance to try their sopes! the culinary loss in honolulu of their adobadas & carnitas is worth a weep.

*weeps*

nadine kam on baja tacos & bc burrito

helen wu on baja tacos, diego's tacos, and the taco shop (now closed) owned by the family who owns quintero's
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  I did go to MAPLE GARDEN last night. Ordered cold ginger chicken, Mongolian beef, and Maple Garden tofu along with rice and tea. Got the complimentary almond float.

Heard that the owner passed away, so his widow sold the business. I'll give the new owners a try when they re-open.

according to erika engle in her column yesterday:http://starbulletin.com/2008/05/09/business/engle.html

the "old" maple garden will be opening today with the owners of the yen king restaurant using that name but their recipes. you might remember yen king from their operation out at kahala mall which was forced to close to make way for whole foods.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                    In addition to the Magoo's truck near Moiliili Library, Magoo's is also serving food at the location of Arnold's (http://www.arnoldswaikiki.com/). I know Analog plays acoustic there, though the website obviously hasn't been updated to reflect that.
                    Arnold's no longer serves Magoo pizza. Not sure if that will change in the future.

Comment

Mi Casa Taqueria will be closing next month. I believe their last day of operation is July 13. The owners are looking for a new location, but in the meantime, they are planing a well-earned vacation for themselves after the Monserrat location closes.

Comment

Quintero's Mexican on Piikoi is no more. Not sure if that one has been mentioned yet.

Comment

Just read on PBN that Sam Choy's Diamond Head Restaurant will close.

The Nimitz one will remain open and will offer a new dinner menu.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

hi this is sansei and i agree with you lei liko that sam choy's restaurant was a good place to dine at only i've never been there only my second sister ate there and she said though the price's were a bit pricy,she enjoyed it with her family and i heard about quintaro's the mexican restaurant and it's sad to see all of these great establishment's go and i even miss the restaurant where 7-11 sit's now and i do miss this restaurant and i forgot the name sorry.:O(

If i remember,i'll post it here.

well thank's for your time

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just remembered the restaurant and it
                              was called wisteria and they had the best tendon and also i learned from my eldest sister,the family who once owned chun hoon,well they live in san francisco and they own two restaurants both called Japanese taraval restaurant and he and his wife that his wife gave birth two month's ago to twin's so the owner said it's really tough without her and their restaurant is doing well and they have a good tendon so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

German car mechanic extraordinaire...Tim Knight of Knightwerks...is closing his shop on Kawaiahao St. the end of this month. Dayam...that's the end of an era. I've been with him for over 20 years. They don't make 'em more fair and more reasonable than Tim. I fear abandonment issues will creep into my life!

Comment

Working...
                                X