• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    You can add another one to the list. This one in Kaneohe. The building at the corner of Haiku Rd/Lilipuna Rd and Kamehameha Hwy across from Windward Mall is gone. Demolished.

Not sure what it was called last, but I think it was a Times Coffee Shop at one point.
    I'll be in Kaneohe this coming week, and if it's what you said it is, that would be the original FARRELL's Restaurant location, which was erected after replacing Don Ho's mother's place called HONEY'S. I have a very vague, yet indelible memory of HONEY'S bright neon sign. If Uncle Don were still alive, he would know what I'm talking about.

Ironically, Farrell's is now located in Windward Mall across the street.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

You can add another one to the list. This one in Kaneohe. The building at the corner of Haiku Rd/Lilipuna Rd and Kamehameha Hwy across from Windward Mall is gone. Demolished.

Not sure what it was called last, but I think it was a Times Coffee Shop at one point.

Leave a comment:

• integlspwr
    replied

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    Yeah, that was the one. Closer to King Street.
    oh i remember that place. i ate there once and it was aite.

Originally posted by Adri View Post
    and it looks like the Ilikai will also be closing down as a hotel

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...acilities.html
    wow that depressing about the illikai

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

and it looks like the Ilikai will also be closing down as a hotel

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...acilities.html

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

Sad to say, Taishoken (rated as one of the best ramen places in Honolulu by many) is no longer there. It shut its door in December. I never had a chance to try it.

thanks for confirming what i feared. i took a friend who is here from st. louis for a special project last friday because she'd never had ramen in her life. all the lights were dark and there was a paper sign on the door to taishoken. unfortunately, we couldn't read it because there is an outer door that taishoken shared with a salon/spa business which was closed, and the inner taishoken door is several feet away. we ended up going to ala mo to shop and having apps and cocktails at morton's instead.

bummer. i once went there four times in one week because i liked it so much (later visits were spaced about once a quarter). the thick chicken broth at tenkaippin is supposedly addictive, but to my taste, not as compelling as the miso broth at taishoken. their curry, gyoza and fried rice were yummy too.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
    Was taishoken was on koreamoku?
    Yeah, that was the one. Closer to King Street.

Leave a comment:

• integlspwr
    replied

Sad to say, Taishoken (rated as one of the best ramen places in Honolulu by many) is no longer there. It shut its door in December. I never had a chance to try it.
    Was taishoken was on koreamoku?

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• i-hungry
    replied

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
    Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.
    I noticed that a new bakery has opened in the same location. It looks like most of the products are the same.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied
    Re: Thanx, GG!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Just now noticed that. Any more?
    I shot of bunch. Some actually came out. Anything you're looking for? All of them are from the outside.

Since I can't remember ever eating there, I didn't bother with inside. To me it was that neon sign that made it a area landmark. (Anyone else remember when the arrows were sequential?)

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Oh thank God...

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I do believe that Banana Patch's closure leaves only one karaoke bar left in Waikiki (GS Studio).
    Only one more to go!

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

About a month ago, the Banana Patch Lounge in the lobby of the Miramar Hotel closed its doors. If you're a vet of the Waikiki nightlife, you may recall the likes of Freddie Morris, Andy Bumatai, and Pico Payne gracing its stage.

I do believe that Banana Patch's closure leaves only one karaoke bar left in Waikiki (GS Studio).

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Spots - now PHO/Dillingham Grill

The new proprietors in the old Spots joint accross from HCC on Dillingham Bl. at Palama Stream have hit on what will probably prove to be a winner. Combining the popular pho phenom with classic plate lunch offerings will bring in a large crowd for a mix of reasons/clientel, providing it's all good!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Thanx, GG!

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Taken in the final nights.....
    Just now noticed that. Any more?

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Went to the Dole Cannery Food Court for lunch today and seems that there are only 3 vendors left in the area, the Korean plate lunch is closed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X