X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LikaNui
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

Times Coffee Shop in Kaneohe announced that it's closing that location and moving to Temple Valley Shopping Center. The current Kaneohe site, across Windward Mall, was the original Honey's, then was Ko`olau Ranch House.
    Wonder who's going to take the site now... [/wave to Erika]

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Wow. That didn't take long. Just saw the item at Hawaiirama.

I grew to like Palomino. Never developed any fondness for Cassis. I agree, I don't think the space was the issue (though certainly the rent couldn't have been cheap). The pricing was too steep for the downtown lunch crowd, and I don't think the food was all that enticing for the sophisticated evening gourmand.

Leave a comment:

• glossyp
    replied

This will not be a surprise to most, Cassis by Chef Mavro has closed. The press release mentioned the size of the space as a problem. I think the pricing was also a problem never mind that people were so used to Palomino. Last service was this past Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied
    Add 2 more Kaimuki establishments to the list...

Kimuraya Bakery and Suzuki Japanese Restaurant.

According to the article, Kimuraya will close tomorrow, 2/15, after 33 years in the business. Suzuki will serve its last dinner on 2/23 after 10 years.

I pass by those two every morning on my way to work, and frequent Kimuraya for lunch. I'm that they're closing. My lunchtime options are slowly growing smaller.

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    According to this article, the company plans to close 74 underperforming stores that did not meet the company financial criteria.

My cousins and several close friends all worked at the Pearlridge d.e.m.o when it first opened, and I have great memories of that place.

Still, I'm not too big on the Urban wear fashion, so the loss this store and possibly Macy's doesn't really matter. In addition to the retail merchants posted above, there's still flava -- located on Kalakaua next to 'Da Wig Shop, a few doors down from Diamond Head Video.
    I really enjoyed the sincere customer service I received when I visited both d.e.m.o locations which brought me back aside from liking the fashion. Thanks for the mention of flava, I'll let my friends/family know.

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    It hasn't been in Hawai'i that long but d.e.m.o. in both Pearlridge and Windward malls are closing on March 31st. I wandered in there because there as a 20% - 40% off the entire inventory. After I completed my purchase, I asked if they were clearing things out to prepare for a Spring clothing line (most of the items were jackets and hoodies) and that's when she shared the store was closing. RE: They're a sister store of Pacsun, and the company will be focusing on that store instead of d.e.m.o.
    She also mentioned a rumor, Macy's will no longer be carrying "Urban-wear" (Ecko, Rocawear, Enyce, etc.) all of the brands you could find at d.e.m.o.

Not sure where the clothing trend is headed, Urban wear may have seen it's day, but I believe they're just too overpriced for a Hawai'i economy. A hat, similar in style that you could purchase at Lids but an Urban brand was $54!

I am disappointed because I liked some of the clothing, for now the only other options is Macy's (if the rumor is just a rumor) or Urban Flavor (a locally owned store with locations in Waipahu and Kalihi) but the prices have become outrageous. $48 for a t-shirt anyone?
    According to this article, the company plans to close 74 underperforming stores that did not meet the company financial criteria.

My cousins and several close friends all worked at the Pearlridge d.e.m.o when it first opened, and I have great memories of that place.

Still, I'm not too big on the Urban wear fashion, so the loss this store and possibly Macy's doesn't really matter. In addition to the retail merchants posted above, there's still flava -- located on Kalakaua next to 'Da Wig Shop, a few doors down from Diamond Head Video.

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

It hasn't been in Hawai'i that long but d.e.m.o. in both Pearlridge and Windward malls are closing on March 31st. I wandered in there because there as a 20% - 40% off the entire inventory. After I completed my purchase, I asked if they were clearing things out to prepare for a Spring clothing line (most of the items were jackets and hoodies) and that's when she shared the store was closing. RE: They're a sister store of Pacsun, and the company will be focusing on that store instead of d.e.m.o.

She also mentioned a rumor, Macy's will no longer be carrying "Urban-wear" (Ecko, Rocawear, Enyce, etc.) all of the brands you could find at d.e.m.o.

Not sure where the clothing trend is headed, Urban wear may have seen it's day, but I believe they're just too overpriced for a Hawai'i economy. A hat, similar in style that you could purchase at Lids but an Urban brand was $54!

I am disappointed because I liked some of the clothing, for now the only other options is Macy's (if the rumor is just a rumor) or Urban Flavor (a locally owned store with locations in Waipahu and Kalihi) but the prices have become outrageous. $48 for a t-shirt anyone?

Leave a comment:

• glossyp
    replied

The competition for dining dollars in Waikiki claims another victim. Golden Dragon in the Hilton Hawaiian Village will close after dinner service on February 3. I never dined there, but I'm sure there are many HT folks who did. I did look inside once and it was very beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied
    Re: R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Speaking of which, what's going on with Ocean Club? The sign is still up and the furnishings are still in there. Are they waiting for a new owner to buy and take it over under the same name and decor? That's what it seems like.
    Given that it's so visible, right on the ground floor and right by the bar and the theaters, Restaurant Row is probably letting it stay like that rather then turning it into a vacant spot that wouldn't reflect well on RR.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied
    Re: R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Speaking of which, what's going on with Ocean Club? The sign is still up and the furnishings are still in there. Are they waiting for a new owner to buy and take it over under the same name and decor? That's what it seems like. street.
    per erica engle's piece in october, liz watanabe, owner of o lounge, bought the space. sometime in november or december, eric & i were driving by around 7 pm and all the lights were on with the old OC stools perched on the tables like how they would be when OC was still in business but closed for the night. maybe they were doing some work in there? *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
    Not sure what this counts as, but I'll put it here. I was sad to learn that The Cellar Waikiki, formerly The Jazz Cellar, is no more.

You can read more about it here. In the Mix: New Year’s Eve 2007
    Wow. That's news for me. It's odd that, now that Lewer's Beach Walk is all done and bustling with foot traffic, only NOW does The Cellar decide to call it quits.

This leaves only two other long-standing Honolulu nightclubs remaining: Scruples on Kuhio Ave., which is now over 24 years old, and Rumours in the Ala Moana Hotel.

Speaking of which, what's going on with Ocean Club? The sign is still up and the furnishings are still in there. Are they waiting for a new owner to buy and take it over under the same name and decor? That's what it seems like.

Regarding the closing of Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon, I spoke with someone who knows one of the Tsukenjo folks, and they said the restaurant competition at nearby Ward Center and Warehouse took a toll on the Tsukenjo's lunch wagon business, which is what made them decide to call it quits.

I also spoke with Doris over at Tsukenjo Lunch House, and she said they started the business back in 1960, with the lunchwagon starting around 1970. They shut the wagon down and sold it just this past November '07. Of course, you can still get the same grinds over at the Lunch House on Cooke street.
    Last edited by Pomai; January 5, 2008, 01:24 PM. Reason: Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon pau

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

Not sure what this counts as, but I'll put it here. I was sad to learn that The Cellar Waikiki, formerly The Jazz Cellar, is no more.

You can read more about it here. In the Mix: New Year’s Eve 2007

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Let's add to the list of disappearing establishments, I'm sure many of you read in today's Star Bulletin that after 25 years, Patisserie Kahala Mall will be closing at the end of the year. Owner's are looking for a new location, in the meantime they're products are sold in Sam's Club.

Leave a comment:

• Beau
    replied

I'd like to hear more about Tropicaina (is that spelling correct?). What's on the menu? Is it good? If so, perhaps on my next drive out N. Shore I'll stop by.
    Hmm...being biased of course because my friend owns the restaurant, I would say the food is pretty good. They offer mostly American Style Continental Cuisine(and some asian fusion stuff). Things like crab cakes, taro fried chicken.

However, what is breathtaking are the grounds, which my friend has extensively renovated. In the back area, they have cut down the trees so now there's a panaromic view of the mountains. And in part of the front area of the restaurant there is now a fresh water pond. My friend has also landscaped with thousands of plants. I would say it's definitely worth it to stop by and check the place out.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Beau, mahalo for that. I was just going to ask what was now located at this that Punalu'u locaton. When I lived out that side way back when, it was Paniolo Cafe, then a popular stop for Harley riders circling the island.

It's gotta' be tough staying afloat as a restaurant in such remote locations like Crouching Lion and Tropicaina in Punalu'u. They surely must rely heavily tour bus stops. Without that, just the casual passersby seems would hardly be enough.

I also vaguely remember (we ate there a few times) Pat's at Punalu'u Restaurant in the namesake' apartment building out there, which had a fine dining format overlooking the ocean.

I'd like to hear more about Tropicaina (is that spelling correct?). What's on the menu? Is it good? If so, perhaps on my next drive out N. Shore I'll stop by.
    Originally posted by Beau View Post
    I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. He asked me if I heard of Crouching Lion closing which I did due to this thread. LOL...

My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia. Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007. This is the front of the restaurant.

This is part of the extensive grounds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X