• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynsaligia
    replied
    Re: John Dominus (sic) closing

john dominis is closing.

but the advertiser had a really bad typo on its website. pasting here, bcs i'm sure sooner or later they'll fix it:

Posted on: Wednesday, October 3, 2007
    Hawaii's John Dominus restaurant being sold

By Andrew Gomes
    Advertiser Staff Writer

The John Dominis Restaurant in Kaka'ako is being sold to a Japan-based investor. Its present owner says redevelopment is inevitable.

REBECCA BREYER | The Honolulu Advertiser

Kaka'ako's waterfront fine-dining restaurant John Dominis may be headed for redevelopment under a plan by owner D.G. "Andy" Anderson to sell the business to a Japan-based investor.

The longtime restaurateur and former politician is seeking state approval to transfer his lease for the state-owned site to Ocean Investments LLC.

Anderson has arranged to sell John Dominis with a provision for him to continue operating the restaurant with its adjacent wedding and meeting facilities for a minimum of 18 months.

"We'll run it as usual," he said.

But Anderson added that factors including the 254-seat restaurant's age, expensive ground rent, rising property taxes and the site's attractiveness make redevelopment inevitable.

"The land rent is getting pretty high, and a restaurant complex in itself won't be able to pay the bills much longer," he said. "It'll have to be redeveloped. The building is tired. The restaurant is too big for today's market. It had its time."

John Dominis has been in business since 1979, perched alongside the entrance to the Kewalo Basin commercial boat harbor in a long-isolated, largely industrial area of the Kaka'ako waterfront.

while i wouldn't suggest dinner (overpriced, poorly executed, bleh!) there, i'd highly recommend the sushi and oyster bar, where you can also have a flight of sake. yes, it's pricey, but the sushi and oysters are worth it, compared to the regular entree stuff (as i've said before in another thread, at least one of the sushi chefs is from the beloved sushi king on...king st), the view is uncomparable, and the restaurant itself is a piece of honolulu history.

Leave a comment:

• i-hungry
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

No. Problem. I didn't think anyone would know the place by its name. Not even my Chinese friends can remember it.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
    Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.
    My apologies, I didn't see it.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• i-hungry
    replied

Aiya! I posted about Shung Chong Yuen in this very same thread. About 3 pages back.

Leave a comment:

• Keanu
    replied

I liked Shung Chong Yuein, even if their manapua had hair inside sometimes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X