• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stwahine
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Auntie, I remember recently one of our local media outlets did a story about them, but I can't remember whether it was TV or print. Try search HA, SB, KHON, KGMB, KHNL or KITV's website for it. IIRC, they basically got too old to continue, similar to Kwong On in Kaimuki.
    Pomai, I googled.heheheh

And I found it.

Chinatown bakery called irreplaceable
    Shung Chong Yuein Ltd. is closing next week after 45 years
    By Erika Engle
    http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/24/news/story04.html

"SHUNG CHONG YUEIN LTD. on Maunakea Street, a family-run Chinatown institution, will close next Thursday after 45 years of selling traditional Chinese treats and sweets.

Its founders, 82-year-old Shing Yuen Ng and his wife, Chow Hop Ng, "in her late 70s," are going to retire, said Ericson Ng, their youngest son and president of the company. He is also a dentist with a practice in Nuuanu."

Yeah, Pretty Lady wrote about their closing.hahahaha

I also found a recipe foa their famous sesame/peanut candy recipe!
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...707250347.html

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Auntie, I remember recently one of our local media outlets did a story about them, but I can't remember whether it was TV or print. Try search HA, SB, KHON, KGMB, KHNL or KITV's website for it. IIRC, they basically got too old to continue, similar to Kwong On in Kaimuki.
    Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    I dunno if this was posted.

Anyways, I went to Chinatown and I was horrified to find out the Chinese Candy/Cookie Shop da one located next to Nam Fong Roasted Foods is no longer there. There is no sign to say where they went. Nuttin.

Poof be gone.

Another one bites dee dust.

Sad. I used to end my Exclusive Chinatown Tours there.

I'll miss their delicious Almond and T Cookies!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

I dunno if this was posted.

Anyways, I went to Chinatown and I was horrified to find out the Chinese Candy/Cookie Shop da one located next to Nam Fong Roasted Foods is no longer there. There is no sign to say where they went. Nuttin.

Poof be gone.

Another one bites dee dust.

Sad. I used to end my Exclusive Chinatown Tours there.

I'll miss their delicious Almond and T Cookies!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

To replace the TGI Friday's location in Waikiki: some kind of Hawaiian steakhouse (formerly Buzz's Steakhouse)

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post

eric, a couple of friends and i went to have dinner at the greek corner at puck's alley. whatever's in the former magoo's spot was still boarded up. but through the boards, we could see the myriad of bar taps, and that made us happy.
    A friend drove by last night and it looks like the Varsity is open for business! Beer flowed, the jukebox blared, and friend's eyes almost popped out when she saw the new furniture.

Payday's tomorrow! You know where I'll be headed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X