• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kdramafan
    replied
    Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    The Japanese place you're referring to must be IRIFUNE.

The shave ice emporium: is that the branch of WAIOLA STORE?

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN is an institution for me. I go there as often as I can when I'm in town for their BBQ Pork sandwich, Rainbow Special, and chili.
    Same here when I worked at Avis Rent A Car across from Pucks Alley as a lot boy. We use have one of the lot boys or rental agents who worked the small office on the street level grab a rental and buy lunch at Rainbows. They had some ono delicious food.

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

not really disappearing (for long) but the foodland at ala moana is undergoing some serious renovations and when it opens, it'll have a coffee beans & tea leaves and a beard papas shop....

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
    Well, the establishment isn't disappearing (Thank goodness!), but we lost Aunty Helen Chock, proprietor of Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I'll miss you, Aunty Helen.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/04/news/story03.html
    Condolences to the entire ohana of Mrs. Chock. She did what she loved to do for over 60 years and left her duties in peace.

Thankfully the ohana will continue Helena's in honor of her. Hopefully her spirit will live within them and they'll have the same inspiration and passion she had in serving authentic Hawaiian food. After all, they know all her techniques!

I need to pay a visit there soon when they re-open.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeyMan
    replied

Well, the establishment isn't disappearing (Thank goodness!), but we lost Aunty Helen Chock, proprietor of Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I'll miss you, Aunty Helen.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/04/news/story03.html

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

A few fast food restaurants look to be razed in the next few days:

Taco Bell on King Street/Keeaumoku they have a bulldozer in place and were already tearing up the parking lot. Then a few blocks down on Keeaumoku Street the long time McDonalds is set to be torn down soon...but will re-open sometime in the winter of 2007. McDonalds seems to do this to other older restaurants after so many years they did this with the Beretania location recently as well as the Moilili location a few years back. Also the Liliha Street 2 story is not that old either.

Aj

Leave a comment:

Working...
X