Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

When my older brother was at UH, we'd go and visit him from Maui. He'd always take us to Harpo's in Kapahulu. Remember that one?

Comment

Originally posted by ifcancan View Post
      When my older brother was at UH, we'd go and visit him from Maui. He'd always take us to Harpo's in Kapahulu. Remember that one?
      I remember that place very well. I used to work there. We'd call it CRAPOS.

You guys came all the way from Maui and went there? When Rainbow Drive-In is right across the street?
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        You guys came all the way from Maui and went there? When Rainbow Drive-In is right across the street?

No, no, no. We didn't fly from Maui just to go to Harpo's. Rainbow Drive-In was another spot we'd hit in Kapahulu. That and the shave-ice place near by.

I can't think of the other places we'd go when we were little kids. Now that I live here, I seldom go to Kapahulu, but when I do, I find myself at that Japanese restaurant w/ the Garlic Ahi.

Comment

Originally posted by ifcancan View Post
          No, no, no. We didn't fly from Maui just to go to Harpo's. Rainbow Drive-In was another spot we'd hit in Kapahulu. That and the shave-ice place near by.

I can't think of the other places we'd go when we were little kids. Now that I live here, I seldom go to Kapahulu, but when I do, I find myself at that Japanese restaurant w/ the Garlic Ahi.
          The Japanese place you're referring to must be IRIFUNE.

The shave ice emporium: is that the branch of WAIOLA STORE?

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN is an institution for me. I go there as often as I can when I'm in town for their BBQ Pork sandwich, Rainbow Special, and chili.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
            The Japanese place you're referring to must be IRIFUNE.

The shave ice emporium: is that the branch of WAIOLA STORE?

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN is an institution for me. I go there as often as I can when I'm in town for their BBQ Pork sandwich, Rainbow Special, and chili.
            Irifune, that's it! Their wall o' business cards is so organized. Waiola store is the other place too! I haven't been there in forever. The last time I was at Rainbow Drive-In, I had the chili. It was lunch time and there was hardly any room so you have to sit next to strangers and make friends.

Comment

Does anybody know why the bar "Aquarious" on Kapiolani is out of business and a boarded up shell?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                Just saw last night that TGI Fridays located across from the Blaisdell Concert Hall has closed its doors. As per the KHNL News even TGI staff was shocked as it closed basicially without any warning. A formal statement to the closing will be coming out within the next 24 hours from corporate TGI on the mainland.

I always liked eating there, but moreso when I use to live in Makiki or we would go there before or after a show at the Blaisdell. I bet they made their most money on nights of concerts and performances.

Aj
                Following the same fate also is the Waikiki location...

Bid farewell to Waikiki Friday's this Friday.

I just spoke with someone by phone at TGI's Waikiki location, and she said TODAY is their last day. 12:30am last call for food. 1:30am last call for drinks.

Surely lots of folks will have memories of dining at TGI Friday's Ward location before or after Blaisdell concerts and events. I even had a first date a long, long time ago there.

Along with TGI's, I also remember Flamingo Chuckwagon across the street on Kapiolani Blvd. Every year after my sister finished singing at the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest, our family would go there for the Prime Rib buffet. Good stuff. Yet, at my very young age at the time, I'm not sure if the grindz was worth sitting through a (yawn) school choir competition.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I come home from vacation and I get an urgent text message from my sister telling me that Magoo's is closing on Friday.

To say that I am devastated would be an understatement. Sure, that place was disgusting and was known to give allergic reactions to many patrons and that one stall in the ladies' bathroom never worked, but their cheesy fries and $5 pitchers/99-cent mugs were all worth it.

I'm so glad I came home in time.

Comment

RIP Magoo's.

Comment

I'm so glad I came home in time.
                      Take photos to remember it by. Trust me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil View Post
                        RIP Magoo's.
                        I thought they're only closing the Puck Alley's location.

Or is that their only establishment?

Heard they're going to make a "pizza wagon" establishment (a lunchwagon that serves pizzas and pastas) to cater UH and Manoa students.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          I thought they're only closing the Puck Alley's location.

Or is that their only establishment?

Heard they're going to make a "pizza wagon" establishment (a lunchwagon that serves pizzas and pastas) to cater UH and Manoa students.
                          You are correct about the pizza wagons.

However, unless those pizza wagons have the University's 100+ beers on tap, they won't matter too much to me.

[You can obviously see where my priorities are ]

Comment

You are correct about the pizza wagons.

However, unless those pizza wagons have the University's 100+ beers on tap, they won't matter too much to me.

[You can obviously see where my priorities are ]
                            Oh, yeah. Pepperoni & Cheese manapua.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

• An update on Magoo's...

Just got back from Magoo's.

Looks like Desert Isle Beverages has taken over, according to my darlings there (Glenn, Thomas, and Marcus). Most of the staff will be retained, and signs around the bar indicate that the good food and cheap beer will return come August.

Renovations will take place for the next 4-6 weeks. The ceilings will be ripped out to finally get rid of the critters who call it home, the bar will be redone along with the bathrooms (HALLELUJAH! Maybe we'll get paper towels this time!) and from what I hear from staff, they're all looking forward to the new boss and management.

It won't be Magoo's anymore, but hopefully it'll be the same thing I love going back to -- just with a different name.

[I guess I can look past the fact that they ran out of my Killian's Irish Red and regular cheesy fries, not to mention that I ran into my freaking older sister who decided to drink there because she was there drinking when MAMA MIA's became no more]

Comment

Joining the growing list of places closing suddenly is Jackie's Kitchen at Ala Moana. Where will the "Lost" fans who used to gather there to watch the show go now?

Comment

Working...
                                X