Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    It hasn't been in Hawai'i that long but d.e.m.o. in both Pearlridge and Windward malls are closing on March 31st. I wandered in there because there as a 20% - 40% off the entire inventory. After I completed my purchase, I asked if they were clearing things out to prepare for a Spring clothing line (most of the items were jackets and hoodies) and that's when she shared the store was closing. RE: They're a sister store of Pacsun, and the company will be focusing on that store instead of d.e.m.o.
    She also mentioned a rumor, Macy's will no longer be carrying "Urban-wear" (Ecko, Rocawear, Enyce, etc.) all of the brands you could find at d.e.m.o.

Not sure where the clothing trend is headed, Urban wear may have seen it's day, but I believe they're just too overpriced for a Hawai'i economy. A hat, similar in style that you could purchase at Lids but an Urban brand was $54!

I am disappointed because I liked some of the clothing, for now the only other options is Macy's (if the rumor is just a rumor) or Urban Flavor (a locally owned store with locations in Waipahu and Kalihi) but the prices have become outrageous. $48 for a t-shirt anyone?
    According to this article, the company plans to close 74 underperforming stores that did not meet the company financial criteria.

My cousins and several close friends all worked at the Pearlridge d.e.m.o when it first opened, and I have great memories of that place.

Still, I'm not too big on the Urban wear fashion, so the loss this store and possibly Macy's doesn't really matter. In addition to the retail merchants posted above, there's still flava -- located on Kalakaua next to 'Da Wig Shop, a few doors down from Diamond Head Video.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      According to this article, the company plans to close 74 underperforming stores that did not meet the company financial criteria.

My cousins and several close friends all worked at the Pearlridge d.e.m.o when it first opened, and I have great memories of that place.

Still, I'm not too big on the Urban wear fashion, so the loss this store and possibly Macy's doesn't really matter. In addition to the retail merchants posted above, there's still flava -- located on Kalakaua next to 'Da Wig Shop, a few doors down from Diamond Head Video.
      I really enjoyed the sincere customer service I received when I visited both d.e.m.o locations which brought me back aside from liking the fashion. Thanks for the mention of flava, I'll let my friends/family know.
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

• Add 2 more Kaimuki establishments to the list...

Kimuraya Bakery and Suzuki Japanese Restaurant.

According to the article, Kimuraya will close tomorrow, 2/15, after 33 years in the business. Suzuki will serve its last dinner on 2/23 after 10 years.

I pass by those two every morning on my way to work, and frequent Kimuraya for lunch. I'm that they're closing. My lunchtime options are slowly growing smaller.

Comment

This will not be a surprise to most, Cassis by Chef Mavro has closed. The press release mentioned the size of the space as a problem. I think the pricing was also a problem never mind that people were so used to Palomino. Last service was this past Saturday.

Comment

Wow. That didn't take long. Just saw the item at Hawaiirama.

I grew to like Palomino. Never developed any fondness for Cassis. I agree, I don't think the space was the issue (though certainly the rent couldn't have been cheap). The pricing was too steep for the downtown lunch crowd, and I don't think the food was all that enticing for the sophisticated evening gourmand.

Comment

Times Coffee Shop in Kaneohe announced that it's closing that location and moving to Temple Valley Shopping Center. The current Kaneohe site, across Windward Mall, was the original Honey's, then was Ko`olau Ranch House.
              Wonder who's going to take the site now... [/wave to Erika]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Darn! I liked to walk there for breakfast when I'd drop my car off early in the AM at Jiffy Lube at the Mall. The people who work there are so nice!

Comment

Uptown Cafe on School St. just ewa of Liliha St. closed last month. The building where Jane's Fountain is will also be coming down sometime this year.

Comment

Another closing. A Taste of New York in the 11th Ave Atrium in Kaimuki closed last week. I didn't get there often, but really loved the classic pastrami (with French dressing!) and the potato salad was great. The owner said that the restaurant never recovered from the loss of business during the transition from metered to gated parking. It's tough out there these days for restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                      Uptown Cafe on School St. just ewa of Liliha St. closed last month. The building where Jane's Fountain is will also be coming down sometime this year.
                      Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                      Another closing. A Taste of New York in the 11th Ave Atrium in Kaimuki closed last week. I didn't get there often, but really loved the classic pastrami (with French dressing!) and the potato salad was great. The owner said that the restaurant never recovered from the loss of business during the transition from metered to gated parking. It's tough out there these days for restaurants.
                      This makes me very .

I frequented Uptown a lot as a kid and A Taste of New York was one of my favorite lunch spots since I work nearby. Again I say, my lunchtime options are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Comment

Remember Don Ho's old showroom at the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber hotel? It's being rebuilt into a restaurant called "Jimmy Buffett's At The Beachcomber."
                        I posted the info in this thread but thought some might have missed it since it was a music thread.
                        21,000 square feet sounds huge. Anybody happen to know the size of other restaurants?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Noticed that the Cove Bar in the Ala Moana Food Court is no longer there.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            Noticed that the Cove Bar in the Ala Moana Food Court is no longer there.
                            Everytime I passed by the place, it looked like they had more employees than patrons in there.

I'm surprised at how long it even stayed there, especially after the opening of the MaiTai Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                              I'm surprised at how long it even stayed there, especially after the opening of the MaiTai Bar.
                              Geez. I'm not. The MaiTai Bar is almost exactly the kind of bar I feel uncomfortable in: All those young, good-looking people with midriff and tats? Not for me. The Cove Bar, with its shorts and slippers clientele, was much more my speed. A good place to be left alone, which I suppose was its downfall.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                Geez. I'm not. The MaiTai Bar is almost exactly the kind of bar I feel uncomfortable in: All those young, good-looking people with midriff and tats? Not for me. The Cove Bar, with its shorts and slippers clientele, was much more my speed. A good place to be left alone, which I suppose was its downfall.
                                At first, I was part of the crowd that only came between 8PM - 11PM: LATE HAPPY HOUR. There was NWIH you'd catch me there if my pitcher wasn't a Late Happy Hour price.

Then the people got younger and dumber (or I just got older), the live music quality switched to lesser known acts the management can afford to pay (two words: they sucked), and I was through with it. If I visited the MaiTai Bar, it was with the Pau Hana [Early] Happy Hour crew. Lots of aloha shirts, slacks, and work attire there. The price was the same and the company was better!

Comment

Working...
                                X