Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    Uptown Cafe on School St. just ewa of Liliha St. closed last month.
    K-den. I was very interested in opening up a Restaurant at the Uptown location. Norman, one of the owners showed me the inside. It needed a good cleaning and paint job. Everything was intact. I probably would have had to install a new grease trap. Running a business is in my blood. Running a restaurant is my goal.

Unfortunately, the terms of the lease is not good.

Six months only.

The property is up for sale and they can only guarantee six months lease. After that on a month to month. Investing time and money into a short term lease is suicidal.

I am still looking for a Space to open up again.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Too bad the property is up for sale and you couldn't get a decent lease on the place. I'm sure you would've gained a loyal group of patrons with the ono food you cook. Keep looking something might pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        K-den. I was very interested in opening up a Restaurant at the Uptown location. Norman, one of the owners showed me the inside. It needed a good cleaning and paint job. Everything was intact. I probably would have had to install a new grease trap. Running a business is in my blood. Running a restaurant is my goal.

Six months only.

The property is up for sale and they can only guarantee six months lease. After that on a month to month. Investing time and money into a short term lease is suicidal.

Auntie Lynn
        Auntie Lynn, suicidal indeed, not worth the kala!
        I hope you find a location to open your restaurant soon. Watt dey think you lolo. Lucky you akamai about running a business. You GO Auntie.
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

[QUOTE]
          Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Six months only.

i purchased an exisiting okazu-ya in 2000. the place was known for it's sushi and plate lunches. it came with all the recipes. it also came with a higher lease rent and higher wages than the previous owner paid. i was fortunate enough to learn from the experience, but sold it after only one year. at least i made my money back and paid off the loan which i had taken out on it. the lease rent is what killed my business and the hours nearly killed me. gotta give credit to those in the food industry. a much under appreciated group of people.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I give you alot of credit for paying back your loan. I know how hard it is and the time and hours you gotta put in to make you business work. I too run a business, catering with different menus. Alot of pressure and stress day by day, but I get alot of help from good workers who all work well together. Otherwise, " I NO CANN!!!". But just like you and Auntie Lynn, stay in da blood.....
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I hate to agree with everyone, 1stwahine, but yeah. You open a nice place now and I'm there, unless the thing is in Chinatown. Seriously, Uptown's location woulda been perfect for you (just up the road) and for me (just down the hill and over a few blocks). I'd have been there every day. Someplace around that size and in that kinda location would suit you perfectly, I think.

ps: can we have the ht christmas party there?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mahalo for the kind words and inspiration!

It's been several years since MAMA sold Benny's Restaurant in Chinatown. We were looking forward in getting the same location but the owner changed his mind. Everything happens for a reason.

Yes, the Uptown location would have been perfect. I am not in a rush but my hands are itchy to cook and serve once again. I have a business plan and will try my best to open a restaurant serving the foods "Benny's" was known for. Our famous succulent Fried Chicken, Chop Steak, Pork, Beef or Chicken Tofu, Homemade Hamburger Steaks and Sandwiches, Pan Fried Island Pork Chops, our Hawaiian Foods, etc. We featured Daily Specials too!

Of course da Potagee Bean Soup, Pig's Feet Soup and Oxtail Soup are winnahs too!

The problem is high cost of rent.

And yes, Scriv, if I open a Restaurant...our Christmas Party will be there. I'd also make shua get Wireless Connection.heheheh

1stwahine/Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Remember Don Ho's old showroom at the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber hotel? It's being rebuilt into a restaurant called "Jimmy Buffett's At The Beachcomber."
                  I posted the info in this thread but thought some might have missed it since it was a music thread.
                  21,000 square feet sounds huge. Anybody happen to know the size of other restaurants?
                  Hi Lika - you've probably seen this already.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/22/b...s/story06.html

It was in the pm edition the day before ...
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                    Another closing. A Taste of New York in the 11th Ave Atrium in Kaimuki closed last week. I didn't get there often, but really loved the classic pastrami (with French dressing!) and the potato salad was great. The owner said that the restaurant never recovered from the loss of business during the transition from metered to gated parking. It's tough out there these days for restaurants.
                    I am CRUSHED to learn this. I never got a chance to eat there. Living/working on the WW side, I'm so rarely in town. When I've gone to Kaimuki on the weekend with the kids we either didn't have enough time to eat there or I was afraid I didn't have enough fundage. (Between a hungry mom and 3 to 4 hungry teens, we can rack up quite a bill!)

Well, at least there's still Brent's in Kailua!
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I just went once in the past month, it was really tasty! However it was $16.00+ for a sandwich (large size) and no booze or soda, just water.
                      With a nice tip (20%) that's a lot for one lunch. I thought the size would have
                      been really big for the price such that it would've been a nice size for a second lunch instead of a small morsel. The potato salad was o.k. I do have to say that the server was really friendly and good I hope she lands on her feet somewhere else, everyone can use a good server! We on the windward side are at a short leash for eating establishments!

Comment

• imari gone = sad. =(

eric and i had to go to walmart today so we thought we'd stop at imari, which has the best japanese (not local) style bento in town. but we found another restaurant in their place.

bummer. eric really liked their japanese style hamburger steak w/ponzu & shredded daikon and i was quite found of their chicken karaage. we also liked their salmon takana bento. it was always best to order ahead because each bento was made fresh, and this sometimes meant waiting as long as half an hour. but it was soooo worth it. sigh...another good bite bites the dust.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Remember Don Ho's old showroom at the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber hotel? It's being rebuilt into a restaurant called "Jimmy Buffett's At The Beachcomber." (...) 21,000 square feet sounds huge. Anybody happen to know the size of other restaurants?
                          I just found out that it'll be 22,000 square feet. Compare that to Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki, which is "only" 12,000 square feet.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'll admit I went into the Taste of New York many times but was always scared off by its prices. Of course it doesn't cost a thing to look and that is what I always did. The desserts were very tempting. I swear I saw commercials for them as recently as two weeks ago.

In Phoenix, 20 some years ago we had a "Taste of New York" chain of restaurants there and always wondered if they were linked somehow.

Aj

Comment

I just found out that it'll be 22,000 square feet. Compare that to Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki, which is "only" 12,000 square feet.
                              Yeah, but Duke's is literally right on Waikiki beach, with no obstruction of view whatsoever. So consider Duke's has a vast amount more space measured in square miles of beach and ocean to visually soak-in as collateral entertainment, along with the goings-on within (and outside on the patio of) the establishment.

I bet Jimmy would have LOVED to have the space right above Duke's where Chuck's Steakhouse and Duke's sister restaurant Hula Grill is located - surely of which none of those existing tenants were willing to give that prime location up, no matter what the cost. Just about > just about < priceless.

Having the bragging rights of being in the former home of Don Ho is great. That will add that much more draw to Jimmy Buffett's. Not that his name alone isn't enough. JB's is gonna' be awesome, for sure!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Having the bragging rights of being in the former home of Don Ho is great. That will add that much more draw to Jimmy Buffett's. Not that his name alone isn't enough. JB's is gonna' be awesome, for sure!
                                Food and service still has to be decent, no matter whose name is on the front.

Remember Jackie's Kitchen?
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X