Best Laulau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Laulau?

My apologies if this has been asked before or if there is a thread on it(couldn't pull anything up with the search) but just wanted to get some feedback on places where everyone thinks has the best laulau on Oahu.

No right or wrong here, just want to get a list of places to go try out for myself and also to find the ultimate laulau for my dad.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best Laulau?

Hmm...not many laulau fans out there, i guess, huh...?

Comment

Best Lau Lau's are always the home made kine...

No can put price or location on that....

But I can say I've had a few lau lau's that were skimping on
      the meat at times...

But speaking from the perspective of a person who has assembled choke lau lau's for
      fund raising... I know how difficult it can be to even out everything...

Comment

Here's a few suggestions for BEST LAULAU...

Young's Fish Market
        City Square Shopping Center, 1286 Kalani St. (off Dillingham), Kalihi. Oahu, Hawaii. 808-841-4885.

Ono Hawaiian Foods
        726 Kapahulu Ave. (near Waikiki), Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii. 808-737-2275
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Here's a few suggestions for BEST LAULAU...

Young's Fish Market
          City Square Shopping Center, 1286 Kalani St. (off Dillingham), Kalihi. Oahu, Hawaii. 808-841-4885.
          I second this comment. I have tried many, but like Young's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Ono Hawaiian Foods
            726 Kapahulu Ave. (near Waikiki), Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii. 808-737-2275
            My FAVORITE. Will be there next month when I'm back home. Ono Hawaiian Foods, da name says it all.
            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

manoasurfer ~ I completely agree with you on that one. No can beat homemade kine! Actually, the reason I wanted to find a good place for laulau is so that I won't have to deal with making them myself. My dad loves laulau but making it for him is kinda tedious and time consuming. If theres someplace where I can get the 'homemade' flavor without the hassle of having to make it myself, I'm there.

Pomai ~ Thanks for your great suggestions; looks like Pretender and Leikaina strongly support your suggestions. Definitely gotta go check these places out. My search for the best laulau is on!

Leikaina ~ You must be counting the days til you get to eat laulau, huh? Must taste even better when you can't have it anytime you want. Gonna get myself in there and experience what you're raving about.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Will keep you posted on the 'Great Laulau Hunt'...

Comment

Gotta be Wendell's....Home of the 12" laulau.

Come we go to Wendell's
                For one hell of a kaukau
                It's a foot long laulau
                Better than poi, better than pig
                Wendell's Laulau's frickin' big

--Rap Reiplinger
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I second Wendell's Laulau!

Some ono!

too bad they out of business (lol!)...

Comment

darn it! Guess I'll never get the chance to try it out.

Where were they located?

Comment

Originally posted by Vale46
                      darn it! Guess I'll never get the chance to try it out.

Where were they located?
                      Here, go listen to the preview clip:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...441&i=15406777

Wendell's Laulaus was the sponsor of "The Young Kanakas" soap opera.

Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I don't know about O'ahu, but in Hilo Kuhio Grill's 1lb monster Laulau is ono!
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

I agree with both Youngs and Ono's Lau Lau as being the best.

I got to say that the chocolate pudding in Wendell's Lau Lau is da bes.
                          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                            I don't know about O'ahu, but in Hilo Kuhio Grill's 1lb monster Laulau is ono!
                            I ate their monster lau lau. It's hugh but if in Hilo the best I've tasted was at the Food Court across from WalMart at Island Infusion. They even ask you if you want the Ti Leaves removed! The taro leaves are soft and have just enough texture not to be mushy, the pork inside is soft and melts in your mouth, not rubbery. PLUS they put in a small cube of pork fat to give the whole lau lau that richness that makes it decedant. And don't get me started on their barbecue and teri chicken!

As a matter of fact they make some of the most onolishious plate lunches I've tasted anywhere (including Honolulu) and I've eaten with the best...the road crews of The Gas Company (They know the best hole in the walls and lunchwagons on Oahu)

But Wendall's Lau Lau...Frickin Big...braddah!!! Those were the lives of the Young Kanakas.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Masu's Massive Plate Lunch (on Liliha St) is hard to beat when they have thier $3.50 Lau Lau Plate. I like the ones that are dry inside, not oily
                              Last edited by speedtek; December 20, 2005, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X