Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you take a returning Soldier to dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you take a returning Soldier to dinner?

Sister-In-Law is coming home soon from Iraq.

Her family is from off island and they don't really know Oahu very well. Any suggestions on where to take a soldier who's been living off Military Food for the last year in Iraq?

They will have a luau for her when she returns to the neighbor island... but nothing over here while she debriefs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Where would you take a returning Soldier to dinner?

Guess it kinda depends...what kind of food does she normally like?

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
      Guess it kinda depends...what kind of food does she normally like?
      And, how many people will be going?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

Her family is from off island and they don't really know Oahu very well. Any suggestions on where to take a soldier who's been living off Military Food for the last year in Iraq?

They will have a luau for her when she returns to the neighbor island... but nothing over here while she debriefs.

Gee, even when I come in from an East-Coast trip, the first thing I wanna sink my teeth into is a plate lunch, Hawaiian food, big ole bowl of broke-da-mout saimin, etc.

Without further ado:
        Ono's Hawaiian Food in Kapahulu
        Rainbow's Drive-Inn (mixed plate gravy all over)
        Boulevard Saimin on Dillingham
        A Little Big of Saigon for a bowl of Pho
        At Zippy's takeout: Chili Frank plate or any of their fresh fish with tossed salad plates
        Kim Chee Whatever the numbah is on Waialae (eat in)
        Cha Cha Cha Salsaria in Hawaii Kai for some good fun Mexican

For fancy, schmancy meals:
        Roy's
        Indigo
        Jon Dominis
        Hoku's

A while back we had an Society of Professional Journalists banquet at Hee Hings. Lynnette Lo Tom arranged for the food and it was an incredible spread of many things including servings of crab and lobster split into chunks and sauted in garlic or black bean sauce, and this incredible noodle dish that I have never had since but wish I knew the name of so I could get it again someday.

Sam Choy's is known for good food in massive quantities, as well.

Hope this provides you some direction.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Whereever you take her, make sure they serve da kine white rice locals eat!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I would take her to Todai's.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Whereever you take her, make sure they serve da kine white rice locals eat!

Miulang
              Funny thing... we sent her one local kine rice cooker over there in Iraq...

However, it still wasn't able to become sticky because of the climate.

Comment

Funny thing... we sent her one local kine rice cooker over there in Iraq...

However, it still wasn't able to become sticky because of the climate.
                I wonder if it had something to do with the water in Iraq too?

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

heheheheheh....each time one of my soldiers came home for R&R or back from the Middle East, I didn't have to ponder on where to take them to a lovely dinner. Before they arrived, they would be requesting me what dishes they wanted me to make for them upon their arrival. Nothing is better than a HOME COOKED MEAL!

...when deciding to dine out ~ TODAI'S, The Moana Hotel or Halekulani!
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hale Koa.

Yeah, I know it's military, but they have great food at all of their restaurants.

Comment

whatever you do dont do what a friend of mine did to her father when he returned from Vietnam as a marine. She played that song from that John Wayne movie, the Green Beret's.

Oh man she told me he basically blew a fuse and destroyed the record player that was playing that song.

My brother who is also a Vietnam Veteran goes nuts when he hears that song Mellow Yellow. He goes into this rampage about those draft dodgers that skipped out and he and everyone else had to step in to cover their yellow asses.

Yeah songs can conjure up some deep emotions. Maybe that zip pack at Zippy's is what that soldier needs to remind him he's back home...you know normal stuff he knew before he went off to war.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X