long rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long rice

What brand of long rice makes the thicker noodle?
    I always buy the thin one by mistake.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: long rice

What's long rice made of anyway? It's not actually made of rice, is it?

Comment

Long rice is usually made out of mung bean and starch. If you want thicker noodles, go to the dried noodle section and look for Thai or Vietnamese rice noodles (actually made from rice). These are thicker (used for things like pad Thai or pho) but they're not transparent like those made from mung bean threads. I haven't really looked for "thick long rice", so I don't even know if it exists. But if you look at the ingredient label, if you see "Green Bean" or "Mung bean" as an ingredient, then those would be what we would traditionally call "long rice". I guess "long rice" sounds better than "Mung bean noodles" They would also be called "cellophane noodles".

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; January 26, 2006, 01:27 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It's so frustrating whenever I go to a Luau and try to eat Chicken Long Rice.

Picking up those slippery clear Long Rice noodles with one of those cheap plastic forks or wooden chopsticks is almost impossible. Even if I try to pick it up with a spoon, it seems to squirm right out and fall right back on the plate.

That's why now I usually serve the long rice in a separate poi bowl so I can tilt the whole buggah right in my mouth.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Yeah, how are you supposed to eat chicken long rice anyway? Forks don't work. Chopsticks don't work. Even fingers don't really work.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Yeah, how are you supposed to eat chicken long rice anyway? Forks don't work. Chopsticks don't work. Even fingers don't really work.
            I bet one of those oversized bubble drink straws would work pretty good. Juss' suck 'em up!

Only 'ting, da' aunty sitting across from you on da' Luau table might give you stink eye.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Eh Pomai, I think you're onto something there! Except that the chicken has to be cut up into pieces small enough to fit through the straw too.

Comment

Good question. Maybe you're supposed to slurp them up, you know, like miso soup, since it is kinda soupy? Since it wasn't "traditional" luau food (I believe its pedigree is Chinese), I'm not sure how the first kanaka maoli ate it when it was "traded" to them for some of their laulau or kalua at kau kau time during the hoe hana years (maybe they just used their fingers like they did with their poi?).

One way to eat it is to bring the bowl of chicken long rice to your mouth, and use your chop sticks to shovel 'em in just like you do with sticky rice, although those fat straws used for bubble tea would probably work well, too. After you've sucked up all the noodles, then just use the chop sticks or fork to get the chicken pieces in your mouth.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I love this "how do you eat it" discussion. All this time I just thought I was an uncoordinated local.

Not sure about the "thicker noodles." In my mind I can see amber colored, thicker, denser noodles sometimes used, but I don't think those are "traditional" long rice, for the dish. More a mix of a Chinese noodle (or Thai or Vietnamese as Miulang suspects) in there.

Of course, I'd imagine that if you soak your long rice long enough, you'd get some pretty fat noodles. Mushy, but fat!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Not sure about the "thicker noodles." In my mind I can see amber colored, thicker, denser noodles sometimes used, but I don't think those are "traditional" long rice, for the dish. More a mix of a Chinese noodle (or Thai or Vietnamese as Miulang suspects) in there.
                    Those "amber colored" ones are probably those yam noodles that Japanese use for sukiyaki sometimes.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

ahhh you bunch of amateurs!!! When I was keiki time (around 5-years old) my dad made me pick up uncooked grains of rice with laquer painted chopsticks. Failure meant no dinner. I learned to master chopsticks early in life and it comes to no surprize that I can eat long rice with chopsticks...no probs.

Da secret is to cheat! Yeah!! you put your mouth to the plate and suck em up shoveling them slippery buggahs in your mouth when no one's looking.

Actually there is a method to this madness and it requires extreme finger dexterity and timing.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You all are funny! I've been laughing since this thread started.

Long rice problem solved!!! Eat Auntie Lynn's Chicken Long Rice!!

Guarantee no fall off spoon. Recipe coming when I get time.

...right now I lazy.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          You all are funny! I've been laughing since this thread started.

Long rice problem solved!!! Eat Auntie Lynn's Chicken Long Rice!!

Guarantee no fall off spoon. Recipe coming when I get time.

...right now I lazy.

Auntie Lynn
                          You know one sure fire way to eat long rice? Deep fry them noodles! Eh stay ono wen crunchy too!
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X