• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old kine da kine

new eats?
    or nu eatz?!

How bout ol kine kaukau...
    remember Hot Dog Annie?

and a bald dude who went by the name Cosmo, I think...
    he was on Kuhio, edge of a parking lot, had some kinda lunchwagon... catered, of course, to the hungry nitetime wandering hordes.
    When hana at da Red Lion Pizza parlor, mid days, had one lunchwagon steh DH side of da Outrigger West, pull right up halfway on top da sidewalk, aole pilikia! shoots, was so ono, brok da mout.

ah, the various lunchwagons of old...

say goodby to the longgone tradition. hello to the long grumpy line at the Cheesecake Fuktory and soul-less Mcdonuchs experience!
    Last edited by kimo55; February 21, 2006, 03:04 PM.

Re: old kine da kine

Didn't have lunch wagons out this side.

After picking pineapple second shift, we'd pile in our cars and drive down to Scotties in Pearl City. Gonnahs.

A popular hangout after school in Wahiawa was Toppers Drive In. Gonnahs.

In the old days, Bigway Burger used to sell hamburgers 5 for a dollar. Gonnahs.

A dinner treat was to go down to Waialua and eat at Yamada's. Homestyle Japanese food. They had a soda fountain and old fashioned bar with a brass rail. All gonnahs.

Comment

Bet ya rememeber dis one Kimo, Red Seat Cafe on Hotel Steet!

Da Beef Stew and Cream Tuna ova toast! Yummy! No can beat!

Aloha Grill on Bethel Street

Seven Seas on Hotel Street

Paradise Cafe on Hotel Street

Rainbow Fountain, a-1 bakery, Three Sisters all in Aala Park

ooh, I could go on and on!!!!

Da good ole days!!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I unnastan still get planny cream tuna Hotel st. side, eh?!

Comment

Veal Cutlet at Tenney Center Tavern in Ewa (long gone) and having drinks after completing my classes at UH at the Kuhio Grille. Sometimes had to stand in line till one table opened up.
          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Oddly enough, I just got this query via e-mail. Any ideas?
            What was the name of the opened diner (this was a real '50s restaurant) on the corner of Bishop Street and North King Street downtown Honolulu. Individual sitting on round swivel stools. It was across Long's Drugs, Alexander Young Hotel and Russell's Men Shop.

Comment

Ai, Kimo, you bad.

Aunty, used to have one place on the oceanfront on Nimitz near Maunakea, a block or two. Had da bes rib steaks. I forget da name.

Kapiolani Cafe (?). When they were on Kapiolani Blvd. A biker friend took me there and ordered the oxtail soup and fried rice....for himself. Being it was my first time there, I dittoed it. He had to roll me out. They moved to a bowling alley in Kalihi and the food got junk.

Don't forget the old family favorites. Flamingo Kapiolani and Flamingo Chuckwagon. I miss the fried chicken. Pearl City Tavern.

More recently, Wisteria. I used to like their prime rib.

Yeah, Kuhio Grille had the best pupus.

Shakeys on University and Dole when one could get Primo dark on draught.

Mama Mia's on University used to have the best hot subs. The guys over there now never heard of it.

Comment

What was the name of the opened diner (this was a real '50s restaurant) on the corner of Bishop Street and North King Street downtown Honolulu. Individual sitting on round swivel stools. It was across Long's Drugs, Alexander Young Hotel and Russell's Men Shop.
                Wasn't there a Woolsworth somewhere around there? They used to have a sit down restaurant as well as counter seating. Or maybe I'm a block away.

For some reason I vaguely remember a restaurant like that where the front was all open to King St. Had a long counter and round stools. This is going to bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Oddly enough, I just got this query via e-mail. Any ideas?
                  PZ, I'm trying to figure out N.King and Longs, Russells, Hotel, Alexander Young. Nothing comes to mind. The only thing closest would be the Diner that was next to the old King Theater where the Beef Curry was excellent.

They moved when the Building was torn down across the street for a couple of years.

Auntie Lynn

Da Rolling Eye, I remember dem steaks too! It was downtown's lilttle secret!

Update: I recieved a call from a very dear friend. The resturant was called "Swanky's" Located diagonally from Longs and across from Russells. Her Dear Husband sold newspapers directly in front of it. hee hee Talk about good source of information!!!
                  (Mahalo S and DH)
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; February 21, 2006, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Man, we need to get together and just go out and grind sometime.

I just ate dinner, and after reading this, I'm hungry!
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                      Man, we need to get together and just go out and grind sometime.

I just ate dinner, and after reading this, I'm hungry!
                      No worry Adrian! Our Annual Picnic should be coming up SOON!!

Yeah, Ryan?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Swanky's? Hmmm. Well that was small kid time and I never noticed the signs, come to think of it. We used to come to town for Christmas shopping and special occasions. Liberty House, McKinerny(sp?), Woolsworth, Longs Drugs and others already mentioned.

Da Rolling Eye, I remember dem steaks too! It was downtown's lilttle secret!
                        Yeh, but what was da name? Something like Liberty Grille. They been gone a long time now, yeah? I remember it being kinda filthy, being on a main road and all. Didn't smell all that great either, but the steak would hang over the edge of the plate and was cooked just the way you order it.

Speaking of steaks. Used to have a good place in Hilo and later moved out Mountain View side somewhere's, just off the hwy. I think they're gone now and can't quite remember the name. They seat you and the waitress asks, "...and how would you like your steaks?" And we'd go, "Hah?". And she explains that New York steaks for the women and Porterhouse for the men, they just need to know how we want them cooked. Then she'd go away and come back with one big bowl of salad and a bottle of dressing. Her next trip would bring a big bowl of rice. Last would be the steaks, hot off the grill and hanging over the sides of the plate. Huge. Maybe that new guy from Hilo can chime in on this one. ...and is Frank's Foods still in business?

Comment

open air... hmmm. all I can think of is the wide open woolworths diner 1045 or so, fort st...

and there was the King Smith Diner...

there was a State Cafe at 209 King, but dass ewa of nuuanu river.
                          Last edited by kimo55; February 21, 2006, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                            Mama Mia's on University used to have the best hot subs. The guys over there now never heard of it.
                            ya mean da peeps at magoo's?

Remember when there was a magoo's on kalakaua just DH of Tony's ribs? where that moped place is now? And Tony's was a mexican restaurant.
                            And the South seas Village was just down from there, next to another Mexican restaurant.

But before all dat, one o my first jobs was age 15 at da Original Pancake House Waiakamilo S.C. It is still there...

Comment

From my reliable sources again! The name of the Steak place was Tasty Grill located on Maunakea and Nimitz.

The old Liberty Grill was on Ft. Street which then became Ft. Street Mall. Now it's on Union Mall. Same great food. Remember when they had the old style old Juke Box where you put the money in and the operator (DJ) would play the song and you could dedicate to whomever you wanted to? Every resturant had the machine.

then they had the little ones installed on counters a few years after that when rock and roll started to be the fad.

ahhh... the good ole days!

...das Looong time ago!

the telephone no ring, no ring, no ring, no ring!

ooops! Can not forget The old Alakea Grill! The food there was great! One thing about the old time Resturants - can not beat the prices das foa sure. The food was homestyle cooking!
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; February 21, 2006, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X