• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried any of these places ...

Yanni's
    The Mexican Restaurant Buffet at Restaurant Row
    The Crab Tank
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Anyone tried any of these places ...

Yanni's is I hear, here on HT, a cwy bebe.
    Wouldn't bother. simply cain't support cweepz li'dat.

mex Buffett on our list soon! Now that Jose's left for Waikiki.
    Interesting timing, dat.

Comment

Anyone try Mitch's Fish Market?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        [...]mex Buffett on our list soon! Now that Jose's left for Waikiki. Interesting timing, dat.
        No more Jose's at RR?
        Poop! I'm losing all of my favorite, convenient, neighborhood eateries to less convenient locations. I think I'll be a cwy bebe now!

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
          Anyone try Mitch's Fish Market?
          Yes. See this review. I got an email from a gentleman who was there last weekend and it appears the quality of the seafood remains top notch. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            No more Jose's at RR?
            Poop! I'm losing all of my favorite, convenient, neighborhood eateries to less convenient locations. I think I'll be a cwy bebe now!
            Restaurant death row is seeing many changes.
            I miss Sunset Grill and one of Oahu's best bartenders; Reed.
            The are bought out. all employees are told they will be retained. No need to worry. They close for two weeks. They open. All new employees. Cheap high school level Mis spelled ugly amateurish menu. Bartender dat don't know much about wine. gaggle of vietnamese bimbettes at hostess stand, whose only job is to look kinda good. No help at all. Blank stares when ya ask them sumpin.

Yanni, whiney greek takes place of good italian restaurant.

Jose's, tho apathetic sometimes, was at least a place you could get a wikiwiki taco or tamale or beer and chips fix.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
              Yes. See this review. I got an email from a gentleman who was there last weekend and it appears the quality of the seafood remains top notch. Highly recommended.
              Thanks, I'll keep that place in mind . . . for a special treat.

BUT: A retired guy on fixed income can't afford those prices, though. I've got until June to check out local places . . . and it goes without saying that I can find so many other cheaper places to eat.

Last night, we went to Kalani in Kapalama (delicious Korean food; another patron recommended that I gotta try their Korean miso soup) and saw a line of people in front of Utage, an "Okinawan / Japanese" restaurant. Anybody try that place?
              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I was just there the other night. I usually eat the Champuru but I don't think it's for everyone. Someone I know was eating pig feet soup (Okinawan style). Our friends ate Okinawan soba which is probably my favorite noodle dish. There is a lot of fish on the menu there; flounder, ahi several ways, mahi, butterfish. It's usually very busy during the day too. Read this review:
                http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/archiv...d=353&qr=utage

Comment

Thanks glossyp for the review! I shared it with my neighbors!

Comment

Restaurant death row is seeing many changes.
                    I miss Sunset Grill and one of Oahu's best bartenders; Reed.
                    The are bought out. all employees are told they will be retained. No need to worry. They close for two weeks. They open. All new employees. Cheap high school level Mis spelled ugly amateurish menu. Bartender dat don't know much about wine. gaggle of vietnamese bimbettes at hostess stand, whose only job is to look kinda good. No help at all. Blank stares when ya ask them sumpin.

Yanni, whiney greek takes place of good italian restaurant.

Jose's, tho apathetic sometimes, was at least a place you could get a wikiwiki taco or tamale or beer and chips fix.
                    Huh? Sunset Grill, too? Did the new owners retain the name? The last time I was at RR (Jose's) was between Christmas and New Years. And, no Phillip Paolo's...whatta loss. I loved that place and have been a customer since their cottage days on Beretania. The soft shell crabs...yummmmmmm! Do you know if they closed permanently or moved? The white pages shows only the RR location. For some reason I thought they also had a restaurant in Hawaii Kai...or did that close, too?

I tell ya, the restaurant business in Hawaii is like playing Russian roulette.

Comment

Now that Jose's left for Waikiki.
                      Isn't Jose's in Kaimuki too? I thought I saw it when I was wandering around during the Celebrate Kaimuki festival yesterday...

I gotta admit that I didn't like the food at Jose's, but the service was good.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                        Isn't Jose's in Kaimuki too? I thought I saw it when I was wandering around during the Celebrate Kaimuki festival yesterday...

I gotta admit that I didn't like the food at Jose's, but the service was good.
                        Yes, Jose's is in Kaimuki, on Koko Head Ave. It's been there for decades and was a favorite family hangout when my kids were in school. I liked the food there better than the one in RRow altho' I wasn't unhappy with the food at that one.

Comment

Jose's at Restaurant Row sucked in food *and* service. Good riddance. Hope they replace it with someone who gives a s***.

Comment

I was just there the other night. I usually eat the Champuru but I don't think it's for everyone. Someone I know was eating pig feet soup (Okinawan style). Our friends ate Okinawan soba which is probably my favorite noodle dish. There is a lot of fish on the menu there; flounder, ahi several ways, mahi, butterfish. It's usually very busy during the day too. Read this review:
                            Pig's feet soup, tripe, butterfish? I will be there !!! New Violet's Grill is right up my alley, so it looks like Utage will be, too.

Salamat !!!
                            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

MAMA and I are regulars at Violets. I want to try Champuru! I looked over the article several times. Where in Kalihi?

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X