Best Place You Ever Ate At In Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Place You Ever Ate At In Hawaii

Hawaii has many great places to eat and great food. HT ....What is the BEST food you ate and where( And I'm NOT talking about MOM's House or GRANDMA's)?

My favorite was the prime rib at Bull Shed located in Kapaa, Kauai near Coconut Grove. It was so perfect and served w/ the RIB. I can't wait to get back there to eat it.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Best Place You Ever Ate At In Hawaii

Is price no object?
    Mahalo,
    Scott
    SPORTS HAWAII
    "Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Comment

Originally posted by scottsportshawaii
      Is price no object?
      price is no object
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Six or 7 years ago I had Thanksgiving dinner at Diamond Head Grill at the W Hotel on Kalakaua. It was a total party in the mouth! Unbelievably good.
        Last edited by tutusue; May 1, 2006, 09:46 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

The best restaurant I ever ate in in Hawai'i was at A Pacific Cafe on Kauai. It's no longer in business, although there have been rumors for a couple of years that the owners were going to relocate somewhere else on the island. It had no view at all (it was in a strip mall), the prices were staggering, but the food and service were impeccable. The owner, Jean Marie Josselin, is one of the "founders" of Pacific Rim cuisine.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; May 1, 2006, 09:59 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Plantation House, Kapalua: The best sashimi I ever had. The sushi chef served them with mild sauces such as lime-cilantro. Why cover up such fresh and delicate fish with soy and wasabi?

Comment

For prime rib, Flamingo Chuckwagon, but that was a long time ago.

Comment

I thought about this question for awhile and decided that I would select the restaurant that I go to as often as possible because I love the food. It is Bac Nam, the Vietnamese restaurant on King St. They have dishes you don't see at other Vietnamese places here on Oahu. I really like this restaurant. I wrote this review last August and have eaten there many times since then, often trying something different. Last week it was beef curry (ordered extra spicy) with French bread and the time before the stuffed squid. Tamarind shrimp is good too.

FYI, Miulang, JM Josselin has a restaurant called Cafe 808 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Edited to correct spelling.

Comment

I also am more likely to answer with a place I love to eat, rather than a place where simply eating there is an "event." That's not to say I wouldn't love the budget and sophistication to eat at some of Hawaii's priciest, fanciest establishments... but if I could really eat anywhere, I doubt I'd choose any of them.

I might very well pick Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo, in part for the food, and in part for everything else that goes with being there.

I really did enjoy my one visit to Sushi Sasabune. I'm sure that great sushi is wasted on a bumpkin like me, but I know enough to know it tasted good, and that I'd like to back.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    I also am more likely to answer with a place I love to eat, rather than a place where simply eating there is an "event." That's not to say I wouldn't love the budget and sophistication to eat at some of Hawaii's priciest, fanciest establishments... but if I could really eat anywhere, I doubt I'd choose any of them.

I might very well pick Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo, in part for the food, and in part for everything else that goes with being there.

I really did enjoy my one visit to Sushi Sasabune. I'm sure that great sushi is wasted on a bumpkin like me, but I know enough to know it tasted good, and that I'd like to back.
                    Ken's got a good plug...or was it product placement ...on Dog the Bounty Hunter's show last week. Dog and his posse rendezvoused there prior to taking down another bad guy!

I tend to eat to live, rather than live to eat. Personally I don't think the "best place you ever ate at in Hawaii" has to mean pricy and fancy; rather, I read it to mean the best meal one's ever had regardless of price or ambiance. My all time favorite restaurant was Keo's when it was on Kapahulu...esp. his first, little hole in the wall site prior to the one where the Starbucks is now. I've been to the Waikiki restaurant a few times and still enjoyed the food but I miss that hole in the wall!!! Still...the best meal I've ever had was the one mentioned earlier in this thread altho' there are some close seconds!

Comment

Then you have the timing/consistency issue:

Person "A" visits a popular restaurant and may have the dining experience of a lifetime. Then person "B" visits the same place 2 days later when the wait staff is having a bad day, half the kitchen staff called in sick and the fish is no longer fresh.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Black Angus
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think Albert and I was the person "B" when we went to Marbella over two and half years ago. The food to me was okay but the service was pretty slow, granted it was only one person up front.

When I mentioned this experience to a couple of other people they was surprised at the service level. I tried Marbella's about a year later (and not during a holiday) during their lunch buffet which I found to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                            FYI, Miulang, JM Josselin has a restaurant called Cafe 808 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Edited to correct spelling.
                            Ah, so that's where he landed. He had a branch of A Pacific Cafe on Maui too but that folded a few years back.

Thnks for the heads up. Next time I'm in Vegas I'll have to wander over to Caesar's and check his place out (after having a reuben sandwich at the Deli in the Forum!)

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This is nearly impossible to answer. When we go back to visit the family all we do is eat, and it's all good. If I had to pick one that stands out I guess I 'd have to say our wedding day dinner at John Dominis. After our 10am Waikiki ceremony and lunch reception, constantly surrounded by friends and family and all the hubbub, it was wonderful to slip away alone and enjoy a delicious meal alone with my new bride. (I still remember: Filet medallions and deep fried moi for me; 10 oz lobster tail for her.)

Comment

Working...
                              X