Banned from Buffet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned from Buffet

This story caught my eye as it is one of my pet peeves to watch people waste food needlessly. Also, I couldn't believe the price of $5.95 for all-you-can-eat Chinese food - of course it is the Midwest where prices are always low.
    Food wasters banned.

Re: Banned from Buffet

The article didn't say if all four of them was wasting food or just the kids. However according to the restaurant, this family wasting the food was on-going thing as opposed to just happening once.

$5.95 per person does sound like (a) it might be the lunch time price or (b) not much of a selection.

Comment

Long ago... when my first wife was pregnant with our daughter, we would go to the Sizzler's in Corta Madiera California. We would get 2 inexpensive meals and one salad bar. Of course both of us ate from the one bar plate. Trying to be inconspicuous. Well after a few times of this we were banned. Ooops.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

when I take my kids to a buffet, I always make their plate and make sure they eat everything. Problem with buffets is that kids will typically never eat enough to make going to a buffet a bargain.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I remember seeing this sign at a Buffet in Kona :
          "Take all you can eat, Eat all you take!"
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Eh.. no tell on me eh? I da' guy at Pagoda and Willows whacking all da raw fish, shrimp tempura and Prime Rib. Das' it!

Forget da' rice. Forget da' oddah stuffs. Gotta' save room for da' GOLD!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh my secret's out!!! I eat the poke and shrimp first then the dessert then hit the prime rib.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                when I take my kids to a buffet, I always make their plate and make sure they eat everything. Problem with buffets is that kids will typically never eat enough to make going to a buffet a bargain.
                That's my problem with buffets in general. I can never eat enough to justify the price...unless there's a big platter full of sashimi!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

That's my problem with buffets in general. I can never eat enough to justify the price...unless there's a big platter full of sashimi!
                  And also my favorite, CRAB! I swear the food servers at my favorite Chinese food buffet slow down in repleneshing the crab pot whenever they see me come through the door.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    And also my favorite, CRAB! I swear the food servers at my favorite Chinese food buffet slow down in repleneshing the crab pot whenever they see me come through the door.
                    And when you go to Todai, don't they do the same thing there to you, too? Actually, Lurkah, whenever I go to Todai, I don't eat the crab...so you can have my share! (too much work for me) when get maguro just ready to pop in da mouth!

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Anybody ever see that heavy-set stand up comic who told about his own experience dining at a Chinese buffet restaurant?

Speaking in a heavy Chinese accent...
                      "Yu go now! Yu hee'ah fo' ow' wah! FO' OW' WAH! YU GO NOW! Now yu' look, we get'uh nuh'ting moa-fo' odda' custumah!.. cheee how wah lung me wahh dung li mao".

I know.. not really funny reading that. You gotta' watch it on TV for the full effect. Was hilarious though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alohabear wrote:
                      "Take all you can eat, Eat all you take!"

That is good! That should be a required sign on EVERY dining table: home, restaurant, buffet line or otherwise.

One of my biggest peeves is wasting food. It's tragic that the food service industry has to throw away leftovers instead of giving it to employees because of shrinkage and/or liability concerns.
                      Last edited by Pomai; May 6, 2006, 08:55 AM. Reason: improving accents
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Take what you want, but eat all you take is one of my admonitions to my chilluns as well, on the rare occasions that we go to buffets.

We didn't eat out a lot when I was growing up, but when we did, my mother always said, "Eat the expensive stuff first." In other words, don't fill up on the bread and butter to the point that you can't eat the expensive entree and wind up wasting food.

A few months back, the kids and I were treated to the Pac. Beach seafood buffet dinner -- Ho was SOME GOOD, boy! Oysters, sashimi, crab (the latter of which I didn't take, in deference to my twin boys who feel, for some odd reason, that crabs, lobsters, shrimp and crustaceans in general should be PETS, not plate fodder).

Craig - mine, too, were at one time too young to justify the buffet expense, (even at Pizza Hut at lunch), but now that they're bigger (with appetites to match), it's really worth it. When it's in the budget, that is.
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Oh my secret's out!!! I eat the poke and shrimp first then the dessert then hit the prime rib.
                          LOL!! That's funny. I was visiting Utah one time to visit my cousins and they took me to a place called the Chuck A Rama (buffet), in downtown Salt Lake City. We must have consumed pounds and pounds of food. A fun time was had by all. I'm not sure what the manager thought of us after we left, but we left a very good tip for the waitress assigned to our table. We (Polynesians) know how to have a great time at buffet restaurants.....LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Actually, Lurkah, whenever I go to Todai, I don't eat the crab...so you can have my share! (too much work for me)
                            Well, you pushed (okay, maybe nudged) me over the edge last night to where we ended up going to that favorite Chinese food buffet place where I gorged myself on crab legs once again — and I ate all that I took. By the way, there's a secret technique for eating those crab legs.
                            Last edited by lurkah; May 6, 2006, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              By the way, there's a secret technique for eating those crab legs.
                              "Don't come up for air?"
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X