Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Know When it's Good Enough to Give Away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Know When it's Good Enough to Give Away?

A few months ago, I made a whole BUNCH of hummus. I mean, I bought two pounds of garbanzo beans and really went to town. I had really liked the last batch of hummus I'd made, so I thought I'd make lots of it and give it out to friends.

It never got out of my fridge, except to go to the trash the other day.

I was paralyzed with this sudden realization: I like just about everything I make. Therefore, I cannot tell if what I make is any good! I know that when someone gives you food, it's truly the thought that counts, but that's not good enough for me as a giver -- I want not only the THOUGHT to be good, but the REALITY.

Last month I made pesto, this time with two specific friends in mind. They never got it. I ended up eating it all myself. I thought it was lovely. But again: How could I know?

Last night I made several quarts of roasted-vegetable broth, and then with one of those quarts I made kabocha soup, seasoning the roasted kabocha with a mix of herbs de provence a friend gave me. While I slurped it down (I always slurp my soup, and I really loved it), I thought it would be nice to give some to the friend who gave me the herbs for Christmas last year.

Instead, I ate every drop.

However, I'm thinking of making it again, and maybe THIS time being gutsy enough to give it away...but how do I know?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: How Do You Know When it's Good Enough to Give Away?

Let me try it! I'll give you an unbaised opinion.

Comment

I knew someone was going to say that!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        I knew someone was going to say that!
        Duh! Better yet, an HT tasting of scrivener's culinary efforts!

Comment

The answer should be simple enough: If you like it (as you said you did), probably others will to.

I'm notorious for making guests my guinea pigs. I'll cook, hardly taste a bite (except for adjusting seasonings) and serving it. 99% of the time I've had great success. People in most cases appreciate the food that SOMEONE ELSE cooked. I think that's why restaurant food tastes better.

When someone tells me, "you should go into business making this", then I REALLY know it's good; not just good enough to give, but to SELL!

B-T-W, Coscto sells an excellent prepared Hummus.. a huge tub for just $5.00. With those Pita Chips.. winner!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

On a more serious note. It sounds like you are paralyzed by a possibly irrational fear that people won't like what you've prepared. I have to agree with Pomai that if it tastes good to you, it will to your friends as well. Like Pomai, my friends and neighbors have been unwitting guinea pigs for my baked goods (that's my hobby) and not all of them have been successful. Nonetheless, the feedback I get from them is invaluable as I strive for perfection. Relax, share the food (you shouldn't be eating all of it anyway!) and ask for honest opinions.

Comment

Hey, Scriv. I'll try it. I have only about 10% sense of taste and smell. I'll be able to tell you anything you want to hear!

Seriously, the best defense is a good offense. Ask for critiques up front. If you get any then take 'em as constructive criticism, tweek your recipe and try again another day.

My ex-husband was a wonderful cook. He loved experimenting with dinner parties! His theory was, if his menu bombed...so what! We'd all just go out for dinner! That never happened, of course, but that's how he removed the pressure from his perfectionist self!

I have a friend who had 3 of her lady friends for dinner one night. It was a fabulous dinner featuring rack of lamb. She made her recipe 3 times during the preceding week to make sure she had everything down pat. By the time the actual dinner rolled around she was sick of lamb! And, the expense...I don't want to even think about it! Woulda been much cheaper to take everyone out for dinner!

I have another friend who is, by nature, brutally blunt. Things fall out of her mouth before she has a chance to think about what she's saying. We've been guests at dinner parties when she's managed to let loose with..."Jesus, there's way too much salt in this."!!!

Now that I've given you reasons to be paranoid...relax...enjoy...and most of all, let your friends enjoy your culinary talents.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Hey, Scriv. I'll try it. I have only about 10% sense of taste and smell.
                Now I understand why you say you "eat to live, not live to eat".

Thank goodness you still have 10%. I met this gal who had a bad car wreck and she lost 100% of her sense of taste. She said eating a steak was like chewing on cardboard and eating in general was just a horrible experience.

As for Scrivener giving away Pesto, Food Network's Tyler Florence gave a good tip. He said to only add the Parmesan Cheese at the time of service. If you add it to the entire batch and store it or freeze it, the cheese tends to make the Pesto go rancid quicker.

Classic Pesto is made of fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  Now I understand why you say you "eat to live, not live to eat".

Thank goodness you still have 10%. I met this gal who had a bad car wreck and she lost 100% of her sense of taste. She said eating a steak was like chewing on cardboard and eating in general was just a horrible experience.
                  [...]
                  I lost 100% of my sense of smell (therefore taste, too!) a little over a year ago, the result of a bad case of the flu. The doc said I had a 1/3 chance each of never getting it back, partially getting it back or getting 100% back...and I would know within about one year! I can detect sweet, tart, spicy hot, salty...just not actual flavors. Well, 10% of flavors now! I kinda wish eating was a horrible experience! But, it's not...just not as enjoyable...and while I was never a picky eater I'm less picky now! The scary part is in not being able to smell or taste when something's gone bad so I tend to throw more food out after less time in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    I lost 100% of my sense of smell (therefore taste, too!) a little over a year ago, the result of a bad case of the flu. The doc said I had a 1/3 chance each of never getting it back, partially getting it back or getting 100% back...and I would know within about one year! I can detect sweet, tart, spicy hot, salty...just not actual flavors. Well, 10% of flavors now! I kinda wish eating was a horrible experience! But, it's not...just not as enjoyable...and while I was never a picky eater I'm less picky now! The scary part is in not being able to smell or taste when something's gone bad so I tend to throw more food out after less time in the fridge.
                    and with that... I post our new thread...

"what science project is stored in your refridgerator"

Comment

Working...
                    X