boiled & dried peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boiled & dried peanuts

i don't know if you guys remember bob's peanuts at the ward farmer's market but his shop had great boiled peanuts. for whatever reason, he closed his shop and i heard a rumor that he might be selling peanuts at the kam swap meet.

anyway, i wonder if anyone knows of another place in town that sells boiled & dried peanuts; note that i'm not talking about boiled peanuts. those can be found everywhere. i'm talking about boiled and dried peanuts. so ono and it can keep while traveling (i'm flying soon).

muchos gracias.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: boiled & dried peanuts

I certainly do remember Bob's in Farmer's Market. Fortunately Haili's Hawaiian Foods is still there.

For boiled & dried peanuts, check out..
    • Chris's Peanut Shop (808) 488-7187, located in Waimalu Shopping Center near Zippy's. $3.50/pound.
    • The Peanut Shop (808)-523-8511, 1619 Liliha next to McDonald's. $3.30/pound.
    • TROPIC Fish & Vegetable in Ward Farmer's Market next door to Haili's. I buy them from there all the time. Costs $2.50/bag (not sure what the weight is). They usually sell out, so go early.

One of my favorite places for regular boiled peanuts was Fort Ruger Market near KCC. I haven't stopped by there in years. I heard they were sold to new owners, so the recipe might've changed.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

thanks pomai,

right next to haili's? amazing (to me) that i never saw it before. thanks so much for the tip. i'll check it out today
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

One of my favorite places for regular boiled peanuts was Fort Ruger Market near KCC. I haven't stopped by there in years. I heard they were sold to new owners, so the recipe might've changed.
        Ruger Market is also one of my favorite places for buying poke, although when I checked a couple of years ago, the price for shoyu and onion aku poke was way up around $18/lb. Really ono, but wow!

What made buying Ruger Market an offer they couldn't refuse for the new owners was that the original owners agreed to include in the deal most if not all of their old recipes which took them two generations to refine. Makes me drool just thinking about it.

Comment

eh pomai, do you have any idea if bob has set up shop at the kam swap meet? a friend told a friend who told me so i'm not sure if it's true.

by the way, here's a funny but true story: i went to bob's one day and bob wasn't around but this other guy was. i knew it was a family business so i asked the guy if his son bob was around and he looked at me and said, "eh! ass my younger brother!" i was so embarassed i could walk out of that place UNDER the red swinging doors!

Comment

Shave Ice, I have no clue if Bob set up shop at Kam Swap Meet... never gone there.

There's a stand next to Haili's called Stanley's Chicken. They also serve shave ice and boiled peanuts, but not sure if they have the dry-boiled variety. Perhaps when you go to Farmer's Market, you can ask the old timers wheah Bob stay.

Lurkah, tanx' fo' da link to dat story. Glad to know the new owners are preserving the original recipes. Whoah, I remember stopping by Ruger befoah' hitting da' beach... brah, da' Poke da' kine juss' melt in da' mout.. so fresh.. unrealz.
            Last edited by Pomai; May 23, 2006, 10:52 AM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
              i don't know if you guys remember bob's peanuts at the ward farmer's market but his shop had great boiled peanuts. for whatever reason, he closed his shop and i heard a rumor that he might be selling peanuts at the kam swap meet.

anyway, i wonder if anyone knows of another place in town that sells boiled & dried peanuts; note that i'm not talking about boiled peanuts. those can be found everywhere. i'm talking about boiled and dried peanuts. so ono and it can keep while traveling (i'm flying soon).

muchos gracias.
              I remember them. I used to go there sometimes for lunch (Ala Moana Farmers Market) and pick up the large bag of his Boiled and dried peanuts. For those who still don't understand Bob's peanuts, it's boiled like the rest but then he takes out most of the water so you get these peanuts that are boiled yet don't have all that water that makes eating them a pain. It's as if he steams them or something, but his peanuts are soft yet crunchy. The best.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hey craig, you got that right. sadly, i must report that tropic fish & veg does not even know what dry-boiled peanuts are! so, no, they don't have them i was actually kinda shocked that they didn't know what i was talking about!

oh well. i guess i won't be taking any with me on the plane. when bob's was around, i'd always buy a big bag to take with me cuz it wouldn't spoil and it wasn't messy (as the boiled ones would be). once i took some boiled peanuts that my mom had boiled and they spoiled on the way. ugh, the smell was awful!

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                  sadly, i must report that tropic fish & veg does not even know what dry-boiled peanuts are! so, no, they don't have them i was actually kinda shocked that they didn't know what i was talking about!
                  You sure? Those ones I buy there are boiled and pretty damned dry to me. Anyway, sorry that it wasn't what you were looking for.

I actually CALLED Chris's and the Peanut shop and specifically asked them for boiled and dried peanuts, as stated. They HAVE them for sure. The Peanut Shop is right in Liliha, so that's not far of a drive if you're already in the area and in a hurry to get to the airport.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

howzit pomai, thanks for the info i'll see if i can swing by the peanut shop before they close today!

Comment

Bob is the chinese guy with the long hair in the pony tail right? Yeah I liked his boiled peanuts better than Ruger markets.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                        Bob is the chinese guy with the long hair in the pony tail right? Yeah I liked his boiled peanuts better than Ruger markets.
                        . . . . . . .

ass da guy! he's such a nice guy. i used to go so often that he'd often throw in an extra bag for free.

i went to the shop in liliha and bought what they called dry boiled peanuts. right now, i'm a little stressed cuz i've got some work to do and then i need to pack, etc so i'll have to post my review of those peanuts later, but many thanks to pomai for all your help!

Comment

Alicia's Market on Mokauea, a couple blocks below Nimitz, makes dried boiled peanuts, although not on a daily basis. Their boiled peanuts are a little too soggy for my liking. They have a lot of ono pupu's though.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani

Alicia's Market on Mokauea, a couple blocks below Nimitz, makes dried boiled peanuts, although not on a daily basis. Their boiled peanuts are a little too soggy for my liking. They have a lot of ono pupu's though.
                            Would you know if that nice pake guy Leonard is still working there? He was the cook who took care of the ono pupu section in the back. We used to load up over there before heading over to Mokauea Island for the weekend.

If you folks know how to cook your own boiled peanuts and prefer it on the dry side, immediately dump the entire batch into the sink to drain after cooking. It's when you let the peanuts steep in the brine as it cools down to room temperature is when all that liquid is absorbed into the shells.

Comment

Chris's Peanut Shop (808) 488-7187, located in Waimalu Shopping Center near Zippy's. $3.50/pound.

Awwww...the memories. Chicken Skin time. Remember the Old Stadium. Back side. Local Lady sitting on her folded chair with her bamboo round holder carrying her boiled and roasted peanuts. Her children selling at all the other entrances as well. Missing out on the games.

That was the original Chris from Chris Peanut Shop in Waimalu. Her husband was the son of the owner who made the Best Peanuts in Chinatown - Mama Lau. Her store was located in front of TinTin Chop Suey House on Maunakea Street. One of his daughters became Miss Chinatown, Hawaii in the 60's.

How do I know? Chris is my mother's sister. Auntie Chris is still alive and well. Uncle Joe is gone. The family recipe for delicious Roasted and Boiled Peanuts is still enjoyed by Ohana!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; May 24, 2006, 02:15 PM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X