• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palolo Joe
    replied
    Re: Mexican Food

Originally posted by mauiman View Post
    Only if they served this on the islands they would make a killing. You have to go to the Chicago area for dis one.
    Funny... I had a burrito that was about that size just the other week at BC Burrito on Waialae.

Not the best I've ever had, but it sure was filling...

Leave a comment:

• mauiman
    replied

Hows this for a steak burrito? Only if they served this on the islands they would make a killing. You have to go to the Chicago area for dis one. No rice in da traditional steak burritos. So ono and as big as ya head!

I'M HUNGRY!!!

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
    Yeah Aunty

Let me know what the cross street is for that new mexican place on School Street. I work down the road, so I can always swing by for lunch.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Carne asada burrito and a plate of chips and guacamole and a large root beer

mmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

DD
    heheheh

Moa easy.

Across Helena's Hawaiian Foods!

Plenty Parking.

Now I hungry.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• hawaiiguy
    replied

cross street would be Aupuni St. ---on makai side of street just ewa of Mitsu-Ken's Okazuya..., in the old Ayala's Bar & Tavern ...between it and Kam Bakery...

Leave a comment:

• DiverDown808
    replied

Yeah Aunty

Let me know what the cross street is for that new mexican place on School Street. I work down the road, so I can always swing by for lunch.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Carne asada burrito and a plate of chips and guacamole and a large root beer

mmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

DD

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

A restaurant named Reuben's opened in Hilo's bayfront area in the late-ish 1970s.

The proprietor was Mexican-American (1st gen, perhaps) and when I was driven there by radio commercials, he greeted me warmly, we talked about the menu and it was there that I learned that in Mexico, tacos are made with SHREDDED beef, not ground beef as they are in the U.S.

The taco was delicious! I believe I also had my first chile relleno there.

Something stuffed with cheese and then battered and DEEP FRIED too? Are you kidding me?

It's a great memory. I don't know if it's still there, under the same ownership, etc. I don't care what anybody else says about Mexican food in Hawaii -- to me that was REALLY GOOD FOOD.

Also, for years, Compadres' executive chefs were from Mexico. I met two of them. Naturally, there were Americanized things on the menu they could not change, due to long-time customers' expectations, but to the best of my recollection, the chefs always offered specials -- from their own regions, or inspired by their own regions.

One I recall was a poke made with super-fresh local ahi that included a splash of tequila. One could argue that was not an authentic Mexican dish -- but again, I don't care, because it was delicious.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

for a "quick fix", I still like Just Tacos at the Remington College Building. He now has huge burritos and taquitos also. and REAL guacamole. My other favorite is Azteca on Waialae Ave.

Leave a comment:

• Hellbent
    replied

Someone turned me onto Diego's. They got 2 places, one in pearl ridge and one in king street. Ive only had the Carne Asada Burritos, its like 1 lb of beef and its $7.

Leave a comment:

• alohacandy
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    I don't tink so. They have a BIG SIGN advertising MEXICAN FOOD! Nothing indicating Potorican...I wouldn't mind dat too.

Auntie Lynn

OK...it's late and I'm hungry! LOL I'll have to look for that place on School St. one of these days... what intersection is it near? I'm always in search of good Mexican food. So far my votes go to Maria Bonita's downtown and El Mariachi in Kaneohe. One of my patients is from Mexico and loves El Burrito on Piikoi St.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
    i bean seen dat place fo bout a mont now. potoriccan fud maybe.
    I don't tink so. They have a BIG SIGN advertising MEXICAN FOOD! Nothing indicating Potorican...I wouldn't mind dat too.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

i bean seen dat place fo bout a mont now. potoriccan fud maybe.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
    There is another Mexican restaurant that opened earlier this week on North School St. just ewa of Mitsu-Ken Okazu (about 50 yards away)....

don't know the name, or was it just called 'Mexican Restaurant'???
    Hey! I saw dat! Yeah! It's located at the old Ayala's! Above the Potorican Association of Hawai'i Community Hall. I'll go check it out before the month is up and let you know all know.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
    The first clue is to look in the kitchen and see if you can see who's doing the cooking. If you see Filipino cooks, then you know you're not going to be eating authentic Mexican.
    heck. i dunno if anyone in hawaii OR cali has had REAL mexican food. in their life. Closest thing in cali I think is on and off milpas. La Superica is darn close.

but then we have gotten used to non authentic mexican food. ya know da greazy deep fried kine shreaded or ground beef tacos, lard laden refried beans. lard soaked rice.
    hell; I am a white boy, that is NOT mexican to any degree, (tho i speak some of the language..) and i was a cook at Mama's Mexican Kitchen on School St. in the early 70's. And, not for any of my contribution, but that was known as one of oahu's favorite mexican restaurants...
    go figgah.

Leave a comment:

• hawaiiguy
    replied

There is another Mexican restaurant that opened earlier this week on North School St. just ewa of Mitsu-Ken Okazu (about 50 yards away)....

don't know the name, or was it just called 'Mexican Restaurant'???

Leave a comment:

• DiverDown808
    replied

Forget it

Cease and desist

There are NO, I repeat NO good Mexican food places here. Cholo's, Bandito's, That forgetful place on Ward, That other forgetful place on Sand Island Access Road..........not worth it at all.

The Monterey Bay area in California is my home, and the "Roach Coaches" over there made better carne asada burrito's than any of these places.

The first clue is to look in the kitchen and see if you can see who's doing the cooking. If you see Filipino cooks, then you know you're not going to be eating authentic Mexican. If they offer Mac Salad with your Tamales, then you know you're not in for a fine Mexican dining experience.

Seriously, I'd drive anywhere on the island for a "real" carne asada burrito. I'm talking meat sliced off the bone and then chopped, pinto beans, homemade salsa, and guacamole made from avocado's.....man, I miss the real deal.

The same is true for German food. I tell ya, if some Mexicans got together, or even Germans got together, and opened restaurants cooking their own authentic food, they would be rich in no time.

DD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X