Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Fried Chicken?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Then it's a huuuuuuuge secret, because that's the greasiest chicken this side of, dang. I can't think of something funny.
    Haha, it's nothing special or disgusting (well depends on your tolerance), they just like to use and reuse and reuse and reuse the oil. I know cuz I worked there a long time ago. Helped the cook one nite drain the fryer and stored the oil back in the freezer for use the next day. But that might explain the grease.

Comment

I don't know about now, but before you could buy the same seasoned flour Zippy's uses for their Fried Chicken at the Y. Hata warehouse store on Sand Island Ac.Rd. Good stuff. Great on pork chops too. (Erika's gonna' be mad I revealed "da secret" again).

Both Foodland and Safeway's deli fried chicken are pretty darned good. Reminds me of Woolworth's.

I miss Cajoe's, formerly in the Nimitz Plaza in a spot a few doors over from the current Chun's. Southern style with a Crispy Cajun style batter in various levels of spiciness to choose. That, along with their famous cornbread, baked beans and 'slaw. Awesome.

Somehow eating foods like fried chicken (with a musubi on da' side) at the beach tastes 100 times better. The ambiance of the ocean and smell of salt air do something psychological to enhance the flavor and overall experience, no matter how greasy it is. lol
      Last edited by Pomai; November 20, 2006, 03:24 PM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There is this place that sells dried Chicken "Seasoning" that is ONO!

It's sold in bulk at a place called Shimaya 710 Honou St. in the Kalihi area.

Everytime a certain family member comes from the Big Island... she picks up 8lbs of the stuff.

Comment

I was partial to Blue Bird Drive-In in Pearl City. But no moa.

I used to chop up frozen chickens and cook em all night long in one of my high school jobs, something like 1,000 pieces a night. Still got the scars on my fingers. The batter was something real simple, like flour, pepper, cayenne, a sprinkle of hawaiian salt. The "secret" was the oil, which was reused a million times and looked like a drain pan at Jiffy Lube before it was heated.

To this day I'm not a big fan of fried chicken, thanks to that job!
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            There is this place that sells dried Chicken "Seasoning" that is ONO!

It's sold in bulk at a place called Shimaya 710 Honou St. in the Kalihi area.

Everytime a certain family member comes from the Big Island... she picks up 8lbs of the stuff.

The name of the street is Kohou St. ewa side of Kapalama Canal between King and Dillingham, just below the old Inn of Sixth Happiness.

Comment

thanks for the correction...and your location sounds correct... I just got the addy out of the phone book...hmm... wonder if they know the address is incorrect in the phone book!

But yes that is the place... a warehouse looking place right off the ewa side of the canal.

Comment

Granted, it's chicken fingers...but if you're down in the Bayou, Raising Cane's is the place to go. Talk about the best remedy for a massive hangover!

By far the best fried chicken I've had was at Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. Whenever I'm in the L.A. area, Roscoe's (usually the one in Pasadena) is my first stop -- no matter what time of day/night it is. My mouth is salivating as I'm typing this.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Dang this thread is making me so--oo hungry. Popeye’s is definitely #1 on my list. I would place Zippy’s and KFC in a 2nd place tie. They need more than Zippy’s, Denny’s, McDonald's & Jack in the Box to open 24 hours. I vote for Popeye’s and Wendy’s (as in bring them closer to town!).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                    Granted, it's chicken fingers...but if you're down in the Bayou, Raising Cane's is the place to go. Talk about the best remedy for a massive hangover!

By far the best fried chicken I've had was at Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. Whenever I'm in the L.A. area, Roscoe's (usually the one in Pasadena) is my first stop -- no matter what time of day/night it is. My mouth is salivating as I'm typing this.
                    Roscoes is damn good ! If you're talkin LA, I have a place you should check out. It's called Dinah's Chicken in GLendale (there's more than one, but that's the one I know) NEVER greasy, always juicy and delicious...I don't know how they do it.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Oh okay. How about Mitzuken fried garlic chicken? Now, that's really good too!

Comment

When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh... it would take about 45 minutes and everyone would tell the waiter to start the order as soon as they came in. Nothing like it. Every once in a while I just have to cook some myself. I like to put sesame seeds in the flower and egg batter. Season to tast... Oh so good!!!
                        Brad White
                        sigpic
                        http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

Here's a supah' easy and ono "local style" fried chicken one of the cooks at The Shack Hawaii Kai makes for us pupu style...

Sweet Shoyu & Garlic Wings
                          Chicken Wings (you can substitute with other parts if desired)
                          Flour
                          Salt & Pepper

Shoyu
                          Sugar
                          Minced Garlic
                          Green Onion

Heat up equal parts shoyu and sugar on stove until sugar dissolves then add minced garlic to taste (make it garlicky!). Remove from stove and set aside.

Salt & pepper the chicken wings (thawed), dredge in flour then deep fry until "GBD". Drain excess oil.

Dip the fried chicken wings into the shoyu/sugar/garlic liquid and immediately remove (try to catch some of the minced garlic on each piece of chicken as you remove it). Place in serving bowl and garnish with chopped green onions.

Enjoy.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                            Oh okay. How about Mitzuken fried garlic chicken? Now, that's really good too!
                            My wife's recipe is wayyyy better than Mitsuken.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I like mochiko chiken or karaage chicken better than KFC.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
                                When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh... it would take about 45 minutes and everyone would tell the waiter to start the order as soon as they came in. Nothing like it. Every once in a while I just have to cook some myself. I like to put sesame seeds in the flower and egg batter. Season to tast... Oh so good!!!

Hey Brad...um I think you have this obsession for things "Pan"
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X