X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: Best Fried Chicken?

Pioneer Chicken was also located in Waipahu and in Waianae. That Waianae one held on the longest, I think.

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    PIONEER also had outlets in Wahiawa and Salt Lake.
    I remember those too, I think I visited the Salt Lake one once (had an uncle and auntie who lived there) and the Wahiawa a number of times.

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
    I miss the Woolworth fried chicken, made me happy camper.
    I agree. Now obviously that wasn't the same chicken they were serving in the restaurant, who made that? There was nothing like going to Ala Moana, knowing you'd get a piece of chicken and MAYBE some Icee.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

PIONEER also had outlets in Wahiawa and Salt Lake. I rank them above the Colonel, but below Church's. About thirty years ago, the local Church's was owned by a Texan named Welba Keach/Keech. One site was Piikoi-Beretania, another was on North King St., just ewa of the Kapalama Canal. Church's was crispy and I always ordered their Jalapeno peppers as a chaser!

As far as the local supermarkets go, I favor Safeway (with their potato wedges as a side order) over Foodland and Star.

Zippy's is okay. Among the long-departed establishments, Hana Broasted, Chico's Pizza, and Chicken Alice bring back fond memories.l

Leave a comment:

• nkth
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Let us know how you liked Aunt Kizzy's, please. And hopefully Paul Ogata will too.
    Trust me. You'll both add me to your Christmas card list once you've tried AK's.
    I just got back from the Marina, but I didn't head out there until about 9 pm and it's already nearly 1 am. I'll have to schedule my next meeting for earlier so that I can catch them when they're open. Had to settle for late night In N Out. Animal style...yum!

Leave a comment:

• oggboy
    replied

I miss the Woolworth fried chicken, made me happy camper. The Magoo`s chicken was ono too!!!! IMO, Damm now I hungry, oh only get junk kine on Maui.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by nkth View Post
    Aunt Kizzy's, huh? I go up to the Marina all the time on business! Next stop is AK's!
    Let us know how you liked Aunt Kizzy's, please. And hopefully Paul Ogata will too.
    Trust me. You'll both add me to your Christmas card list once you've tried AK's.

Leave a comment:

• nkth
    replied

Aunt Kizzy's, huh? I go up to the Marina all the time on business! Next stop is AK's!

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

As a kid, it used to be Pioneer Chicken that was the best. Pioneer Pete, making that kettle of beans with the rice, and they were one of the first places I remember that sold "chicken strips". I know there was one on King Street, and one out in Waianae as well, both long gone in the 80's. But as a kid, that was the place to go.

I found out there are still a few Pioneer's in Southern California, I think five are left, with two of them using the original recipe. If I ever make it down to Cali again, I'll have to hunt it down.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ogata
    replied

LikaNui... I'm sitting in SeaTac right now waiting for a flight to China. Doing shows in HK and Macau, but when I get back into L.A. next week I'll be sure to stop by Aunt Kizzy's on the way home.

Man, I can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Catfish and Pies was the bomb! (...) I will always make room for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. (...) Mostly, I will order the #22, where the chicken comes with mac & cheese, greens and cornbread.
    Okay, Paul, since you're living in Los Angeles now, have you ever been to Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch in Marina del Rey? We're talkin' world-class southern-stye grindz, even though it's a medium-sized hole-in-the-wall-looking place in a shopping center. It's LA's best kept secret. Almost always some 'celebrities,' and professional sports teams almost always make one stop there when they're visiting LA. And the owners and staff are as awesome as the food is.
    It's close to LAX, so next time you're going to or from the airport, check it out. I promise, it'll become your favorite place in town.

Leave a comment:

• Sero1
    replied

Dang I got a craving for Wing Stop now....their chicken is pretty awesome..

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ogata
    replied

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
    There used to be a place in Waipahu called Catfish and Pies. They weren't open very long, maybe a year to a year and a half. That was the BEST fried chicken i've ever had. I cried when they closed.
    Catfish and Pies was the bomb! They even had Grape Kool-Aid. Everything was really good there.

As much as I like Zippy's fried chicken (and you gotta love the chicken/chili mixed plate), I must agree with LeiLiko and say that I LOVE ROSCOE'S. I will always make room for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.

I can't even really describe how good it is. You just have to try it for yourself to know. But basically, it's juicy on the inside. However, the outside is crispy and greasy, like they cross-bred a chicken with a pig so that the skin is like bacon. Then they fry it in some kind of goodness that I swear has to include batu. It's that addictive.

Mostly, I will order the #22, where the chicken comes with mac & cheese, greens and cornbread. And I will order an extra thigh. Sometimes, if I'm wearing elastic waistband pants, I will also order a side of waffles.

Once, I even sat next to Xzibit at the Pico location. His table had hot sauce and mine didn't. So I wanted to hand him my plate and say, "Xzibit, Pimp my thigh!" But I don't like to get shot at lunch, so I just kept my mouth shut.

Leave a comment:

• MixedPlateBroker
    replied

Too bad.

I love me some good fried chicken. Maybe they should have changed their name to Kickin' Chicken, or something to that effect.

Leave a comment:

• bf334
    replied

There used to be a place in Waipahu called Catfish and Pies. They weren't open very long, maybe a year to a year and a half. That was the BEST fried chicken i've ever had. I cried when they closed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X